Author Topic: Forster Case Trimmer wobble  (Read 675 times)

Offline singleVI

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Forster Case Trimmer wobble
« on: April 14, 2008, 12:33:13 PM »
Ive been using my Forster Case Trimmer to trim my .357 mag and .45 acp brass for a while without a problem. I'm about to start reloading 30-30 Winchester but my trimmer wobbles when I try to trim 30-30 brass. I have 4 pilots 22, 30, 35 and 45. The trimmer came with the 22 and 30 cal pilots and the other two came from my dad and are not Forster. The 35 and 45 shanks are not straight like the 22/30 cal pilots that came with the Forster but are milled down where the threaded screw locks them into the cutter. When I screw in the 22/30 pilots I can see they're off center because the screw pushes them off center. The 35/45 pilots fit perfect and are centered. What could be the problem? Shouldn't the pilots that came in the Forster box fit the dang trimmer? However, I know a #2 collet must be used for 30-30 BUT it fits and stays in my #3. Any opinions? Is there a small sleeve that Ive somehow lost?

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Forster Case Trimmer wobble
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 01:08:20 PM »
Had to think about this for a min. when you say wobble , is it at the neck end of the case or the rim end ? I too use the same trimmer and have both style pilots and have not noticed any diffrence in how they fit .

How does the 30 pilot fit in the case neck ? is it a snug fit or does it have some slop ? do you have a set of calp. to check to make sure it is a true .308 dia. ?

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline singleVI

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 01:28:41 PM »
The Rim fits snug in the Collet although its the wrong one. Its the pilot when screwed into the cutter that causes the case mouth to wobble. It mics @ .303. It fits without slop but I havnt resized the brass yet, I just noticed this problem experimenting. When the pilot is inserted into the cutter and isnt tightened, it holds the brass without wobbling.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 01:36:37 PM »
You may want to mic the pilot shaft on both styles , if the 30 is off spec , give Forster an e-mail about the problem , maybe they can fix the problem with a new pilot .

http://www.forsterproducts.com/store/warranty.aspx

http://www.forsterproducts.com/Pages/contact.asp

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline singleVI

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 01:42:42 PM »
I did some more measuring.
The .22 Caliber Pilot = .153(shank or shaft, whichever part is inserted into the cutter)
.30 Cal Pilot = .154
.35 Cal Pilot = .185 and .167 where the cutter screw tightens against it.
.45 Cal Pilot = .186 and .164
Where the cutter is drilled to accept shank = .187
Remember the 22 and 30 cal where enclosed with the trimmer. Hmmmm. I don't know what brand the 35/45 are or Id just order one of their pilots. .22 Doesn't matter since I don't reload that caliber.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 01:52:38 PM »
I would deffinatly send them an e-mail , give them the numbers and they should make it right , wish i could be more help .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline singleVI

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 02:00:14 PM »
Well, by judging the photos of the pilots on midwayusa.com, it appears that the 35/45 pilots are Hornady. The Forster pilots appear blued although the ones supplied were not blued.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 06:14:20 PM »
Correct nominal diameter is 0.185" plus or minus perhaps a couple thousandths. I measured all the diameters you mention having and more and none vary from that nominal by more than 0.002". I suspect the ones you have that work are the Forster and the ones that don't are maybe the Hornady. You really MUST use the same brand pilots as your trimmer no exceptions.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 12:31:57 AM »
GB

What has me at a loss is that he said that the 22 & 30 came with the trimmer , maybe i should have asked if they came new with the trimmer or if he bought it used .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 02:04:26 AM »
You really MUST use the same brand pilots as your trimmer no exceptions.

I really like this reply and will offer something else that may be out in left field. My own trimmer is an RCBS and (right out of the box) they recommended mounting that trimmer on a good hard board then clamping the whole works to the bench.
Collets & pilots are all RCBS of course but this old manual works smooth & easy when secured as said.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 02:06:48 AM »
If those smaller diameter ones came with it then he bought it used or someone screwed him big time. Midsouth Shooter's Supply a GBO Sponsor carries the full Forster line of products. That's where I bought mine 20+ years ago I also got the yellow plastic case to hold the accessories for it. I've pretty much retired mine now in favor of the RCBS powered unit that is much faster to use and far less work. But I don't have all the RCBS accessories needed to trim everything I load so still need the Forster for some stuff that I use in low volume.

I got the RCBS unit back when I was getting ready for the first PD shoot and was loading up about 2000 rounds of .223 ammo just in case the action got hot and heavy. I think I brought about 1700 of those rounds home with me. It was very hot and the sun shine is tough on this old fat boy so I wasn't able to stay out all day and there just really weren't a lot of PDs at most of the places I was taken to that first hunt. My inability to take the sun all day long combined with the lack of PDs on those first few places we went combined to leave a lot of ammo unfired.

I keep hoping to make it back but events keep conspiring against me. If my health will allow I plan to make it next year but will just have to wait and see.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 02:22:28 AM »
I've got quite a bit of stuff for mine from Midsouth , i also have an old Herters that uses the same collets & pilots as the Forster , the  more i think about this , the more i think he must have got it 2nd hand as i just can't see them screwing up that bad unless they some how grabbed the wrong ones when they filled the order .

Also i know what you mean about the heat in Hooker , 2 years ago it got hot and i got so sick that i had to go back to the Inn and cool off in the shower , even missed out on the ribs that year . :'(
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline singleVI

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 05:05:09 AM »
No, it wasn't used. It was a gift from my dad but I don't know if he bought it from a gunshop or website. The tape hadn't been cut or replaced and the pilots were contained in a small zip-lock bag (not the kind you get at the grocery store). There weren't any traces of it being used before, everything was perfect...except for the pilots it came with. Ill just order a Hornady pilot when I order the rest of my supplies from midwayusa.com.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 06:11:33 AM »
singleVI

Before you spend the money to get the Hornady pilots you may want to call Hornady to make sure that the shaft is the proper dia. , it could be that when your dad got it they put the wrong ones in the box . It happens from time to time . The guy in the wearhouse may not relize that all pilots are not the same .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline singleVI

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 01:49:47 PM »
I had a thought. Are pilots for case trimmers the same specs as pilots for say Case Neck Turners or Reamers? Maybe there was a mix-up between the two...if that's possible.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 10:23:53 AM »
SingleVI

I checked my outside pilots and my reamers , all had the same as the standard pilots .185 +/- .001 so i don't think that is the problem , did you by chance get ahold of Forster ?

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015