Author Topic: Doctors Want to Eradicate Guns  (Read 890 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
Doctors Want to Eradicate Guns
« on: July 01, 2004, 01:59:51 AM »
Docs Gun for a Ban

June 23, 2004,

By Timothy Wheeler

The gun-control movement's stock has tanked. Violent crime overall has continued to drop, leaving partisans to fret over the much smaller problem of accidental gun injuries. Most of the holdout states have now passed laws allowing citizens to carry personal-protection firearms — and civilization as we know it has not ended. The 1994 Clinton ban on semi-automatic rifles is set to expire in September, and even some of its biggest supporters now agree that the law failed to cut crime.

Still, gun-control foot soldiers in organized medicine churn out articles for relatively obscure scientific journals. Their message is increasingly devoid of any useful findings; it is mostly an attempt to paint gun owners as sociopaths or Neanderthals.

One such article is "The Life Cycle of Crime Guns: A Description Based on Guns Recovered From Young People in California," in the June 2004 issue of the Annals of Emergency Medicine. The authors grasp for relevance by comparing crime guns to bioterrorist weapons like anthrax. For years medical researchers have tried to push the notion that guns are germs to be eradicated. This model is cute for propaganda purposes — kill the germs, ban the guns: eliminate health risks. But reputable scientists always dismissed this view as a political tactic with no scientific basis. The message of this article was its title, apparently intended to associate the words "crime guns" with "young people" in the minds of readers.

Another slam at kids and guns appeared in the April 2004 issue of Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine. "Gun Threats Against and Self-Defense Gun Use by California Adolescents" studied gun use among a group of Californians aged 12 to 17. Only 4 percent of them reported ever having been threatened with a gun. The earthshaking scientific contribution this article makes is that these 4 percent were boys who tended to threaten others and whose parents didn't know where they were after school. Did we need a yearlong Harvard study to tell us that? And what about the 96 percent who never had been threatened with a gun? Can we learn anything from good kids who stay out of trouble? The authors apparently think not.

The title of a February 2004 article from the same journal amazingly asks if gun possession and teenage conduct disorder (P.C.-speak for juvenile delinquency) are a "highly combustible combination." It's a safe bet that law-enforcement agencies haven't rushed to put this article on their required reading lists.

The real purpose of these articles is not to inform, but to hammer away at a constant theme: Guns and kids don't mix; the only kids who get involved with guns are delinquents; there is no place in the home for guns if you have children. And, apparently, there is no way young people can grow toward responsible adulthood by learning gun safety and competing in shooting sports.

Most readers of these journal articles — doctors and other health professionals — would never know that countless state and local shooting clubs hold marksmanship competitions for young people ages 10 to 20. Unless they had a son or daughter in a club like New Jersey's Delran Junior Marksman Club, they would think that every time a teen picks up a gun, something bad happens. But there are five junior gun clubs in New Jersey alone, a state not especially friendly to gun owners.

Cloistered readers of the medical literature would never know about K.C. Eusebio, from Diamond Bar, California. Last year, at the tender age of 15, K.C. beat all the top-ranked men to win the Steel Challenge World Speed Shooting Championship.

K.C. and all the other good young people you'll never read about in the Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine differ from the medical journals' callow thugs in one crucial respect: They learn about guns under the watchful guidance of adults, usually their fathers. A 1994 research study from the U.S. Department of Justice confirmed that boys whose fathers taught them about guns are vastly different from delinquents who learn about guns on the street. The boys properly schooled in firearms by their fathers even had a lower rate of delinquency than the average for people who do not own guns.

Will the antigun medical researchers ever admit this? Not any time soon. This spring a California legislator carried a bill calling for teaching gun safety in the public schools. A sensible idea, considering that about half of all homes have at least one firearm. But gun-control activists shot the bill down.

The bill's main opponent was the American Academy of Pediatrics, whose official position is that the only safe gun is no gun at all. Think about that the next time your doctor starts talking to you about "gun safety."

— Timothy Wheeler, M.D., is director of Doctors for Responsible Gun Ownership, a project of the Claremont Institute.
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 10:12:57 AM »
I don’t pay much attention to what doctors say but I do keep and eye on what they do because you are about 100 times more apt to die from a mistake they make than you are to be shot fatally.    

You are also about 8 to 10 times more apt to be shot by a cop than by another armed citizen.

You all be careful out there.   :lol:
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 10:32:42 AM »
that statistic about being more likely to be shot by a cop than another armed citizen surprises me... where'd you find that at?

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 11:33:39 AM »
You have to take the info from the source. Do you really think they would publish info that is progun? I practice medicine in rural Nebraska and I can tell you that I dont know any antigun doc. Matter of fact the cardiologest that comes monthly to our clinic was just here this morning. We spent time talking.....GUNS!, not banning them, buying more, hunting, and shooting, and what (censored word) the antigun crowd is. Matter of fact we were talking about getting out and shooting his 50BMG!

I wouldnt get my panties all in a bunch over some article in some rag that most MDs wouldnt bother looking at, and would throw in the trash can at the sight of that article. Yes there are antigun MDs but they do not speak for the majority, at least the majority that I know.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 12:54:21 PM »
Quote from: big medicine
You have to take the info from the source. Do you really think they would publish info that is progun? I practice medicine in rural Nebraska and I can tell you that I dont know any antigun doc. Matter of fact the cardiologest that comes monthly to our clinic was just here this morning. We spent time talking.....GUNS!, not banning them, buying more, hunting, and shooting, and what (censored word) the antigun crowd is. Matter of fact we were talking about getting out and shooting his 50BMG!

I wouldnt get my panties all in a bunch over some article in some rag that most MDs wouldnt bother looking at, and would throw in the trash can at the sight of that article. Yes there are antigun MDs but they do not speak for the majority, at least the majority that I know.
Dali Llama say he venture supposition that "majority" of pro-gun MD's known by big medicine in rural Nebraska be somewhat outnumbered by anti-gun MD's in places such as New York, California, New Jersey, etc.  Dali say that not be intended as disparagement of big medicine, only fact of population demographics. :-)

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 12:56:59 PM »
Quote from: dukkillr
that statistic about being more likely to be shot by a cop than another armed citizen surprises me... where'd you find that at?
Dali Llama say he suppose Major find aforementioned statistic somewhere before the "at." :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 01:09:51 PM »
Dali,
Not only the majority of MDs, but most likely the majority of population in said states. Would you expect any different for Commiefornia, NY, or NJ? It is not much to base anything off of! :lol:

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 01:37:20 PM »
Quote from: dukkillr

I do not have the link handy as I lost it when my computer crashed a few months ago.   It was at a firearm site that was given to me by my son.   If I remember I will see if he still has it.   Now I will say that I may not remember the exact numbers but I do remember the gist of it.    

As for the cops, there are many that are a bit jumpy and I can’t blame them since every traffic stop, every domestic dispute, every call they get for someone disturbing the peace can and often does put their life at risk.   They have good reason to shoot first and ask questions later.   Now the average citizen that carries never needs their arms and those that do know exactly why they are using them and on whom.

Now if we REALLY want to save kids lives (and our own we) will outlaw swimming pools or cars or electrical appliances.   That will save far more lives but that is not what gun control is all about.   It is about your ability to protect yourself from a government that has run amuck… not saving anyone’s life.   :)    :)    :D
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 03:08:38 PM »
I agree with Big Medicine the article like most is slanted and a lot of medical folks are hunters and shooters. In fact I would take a guess that a lot of doctors who work in the sticks do so because they can hunt, shoot,and fish instead of working in the cities where the money is. As far as the comment about Doctors killing patients yea thats true but what the hell they are human too and do make mistakes like the rest of us . I just hope Mine does not!  :shock:  Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 03:57:38 PM »
Quote from: jh45gun
I would take a guess that a lot of doctors who work in the sticks do so because they can hunt, shoot,and fish instead of working in the cities where the money is.
Dali Llama say that likely correct.  Dali say perhaps big medicine able confirm?

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2004, 05:53:49 AM »
Just look at what they usually elect.

As far as MDs killing patients, if you looked at the number of MDs and the number of patients treated each year it would seem that the likely hood of geting bumped off by your family doc is pretty low. It is kinda like flying. There are millions each day that fly safely, but when there is a crash it is all you hear about. You never hear about the millions that are not killed. Kind of like gun control, you never hear of the lives that are saved by someone having a gun.

When ever I have students I always try to instill in them that they need to keep their head in the game at all times. I use the example of a cop shooting an unarmed man. Everybody is there to make excuses, that they put their lives on the line, that they are expected to make life and death decisions in a split second and sometimes these things just happen, ect ect. But as a health care provider it doesnt matter if you have been up for 24-72 hours with out sleep, trying to take care of 2 chest pains, a trauma from a motor vehicle accident, and an abdominal pain. Often times life and death decisions in split seconds, if you make a mistake there will be someone there to hang your six out to dry.

One need to take any "study" with a grain of salt, and look at who did the study, what was their reason for the "study" This clown is antigun, the "study" was antigun, funded by antigun.....Wonder what the conclusion would be? :roll:

As far as working in the sticks. It is as jh45gun stated. Most of us are here because we dont want to live, work or deal with the city. For that we get worse hours, and less pay. We do get to wear cowboy boots, blue jeans and shooting shirts to work. We get to deal with some of the finest people in the world, get access to great places to hunt and fish and cut fire wood ect. For me the trade off is worth the cut in pay. I dont have to wear a tie or a lab coat or work with stuffed shirt antigun numbnuts. :lol:

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2004, 10:00:15 AM »
We do get to wear cowboy boots, blue jeans and shooting shirts to work. We get to deal with some of the finest people in the world, get access to great places to hunt and fish and cut fire wood ect. For me the trade off is worth the cut in pay. I dont have to wear a tie or a lab coat or work with stuffed shirt antigun numbnuts. :lol:

AMEN!!!!!!!  :grin:
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2004, 03:36:43 PM »
Just look at what they usually elect.

As far as MDs killing patients, if you looked at the number of MDs and the number of patients treated each year it would seem that the likely hood of geting bumped off by your family doc is pretty low. It is kinda like flying. There are millions each day that fly safely, but when there is a crash it is all you hear about. You never hear about the millions that are not killed. Kind of like gun control, you never hear of the lives that are saved by someone having a gun.

When ever I have students I always try to instill in them that they need to keep their head in the game at all times. I use the example of a cop shooting an unarmed man. Everybody is there to make excuses, that they put their lives on the line, that they are expected to make life and death decisions in a split second and sometimes these things just happen, ect ect. But as a health care provider it doesnt matter if you have been up for 24-72 hours with out sleep, trying to take care of 2 chest pains, a trauma from a motor vehicle accident, and an abdominal pain. Often times life and death decisions in split seconds, if you make a mistake there will be someone there to hang your six out to dry.

One need to take any "study" with a grain of salt, and look at who did the study, what was their reason for the "study" This clown is antigun, the "study" was antigun, funded by antigun.....Wonder what the conclusion would be? :roll:

As far as working in the sticks. It is as jh45gun stated. Most of us are here because we dont want to live, work or deal with the city. For that we get worse hours, and less pay. We do get to wear cowboy boots, blue jeans and shooting shirts to work. We get to deal with some of the finest people in the world, get access to great places to hunt and fish and cut fire wood ect. For me the trade off is worth the cut in pay. I dont have to wear a tie or a lab coat or work with stuffed shirt antigun numbnuts. :lol:
Dali Llama say he appreciate insight and confirmation provided by big medicine. :-)

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2004, 06:38:29 AM »
Leftist doctors and the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta have been spewing anti-gun propaganda for years.  They have even called for a ban on lead bullets as a "Health Risk."  No duh!  Ingesting 230 grains of ANYTHING at similar velocity is essentially unhealthy!   :shock:

But these idiots have learned that if you repeat a lie often enough, after awhile it becomes accepted as truth.  Handgun Control Inc. has used this tactic for years.  The scary thing is, most of these tricks about using propaganda and distortions were the same tactics used by one of Hitler's top aides, Joseph Goebbels.  What a coincidence..........Hitler and Sarah Brady using the same tactics!  

Must have something to do with gun confis........I mean, registration!  :wink:

PJ the Unhoodwinked
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2004, 10:30:41 AM »
Quote from: papajohn428
What a coincidence..........Hitler and Sarah Brady using the same tactics!  

Must have something to do with gun confis........I mean, registration!  
:eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2004, 10:56:17 AM »
You can add the TV talking heads to the list.

Offline RIFLERANGER

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2004, 08:21:48 AM »
Big Medicine, after reading your thoughts and positions, I challenge you to get an article published in a "non-rag" publication that will not get thrown out and may reverse the tide of the dirtbag anti gunners.
Bring it to the table, our brother .......

Ranger
"HAVE YOU HUGGED YOUR RIFLES TODAY ?!"

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2004, 09:29:45 AM »
Rifleranger,
I wish I knew how to get it done. There is plenty of info out there that show how accidental gun deaths is down since hunter safety classes have been taught for young hunters. Prof John Lott has good sound data but you just dont see it raved about the way you would if the results were in favor of the antigunners. I wish I had the time to spend on such a project, but with 110-115 hours every two weeks it doesnt leave much time for the things I like to do let alone the things I have to do, much less the things like that.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2004, 03:34:03 AM »
Fellas, most doctors simply don't know schmidt about their own profession, much less anything else, especially politically charged issues.  

I have been involved with the medical profession for my entire life and by and large I find doctors to be opinionated buttsniffs who aren't even good doctors.  It's great when you find a good medical man who sticks to his practice.  Most doctors aren't even good medical technicians and usually have to find someone with more experience when they encounter something difficult - doesn't give ya a heck of a lot of confidence in the medical profession.  And, of course, when they can't stick to medicine or have grown such an ego that they feel they can opinionate on something not related it is easy to see how far up the dark place all these yoyos have their heads.  I mean, after all, why do they call it the 'practice' of medicine?  What the hay are they practicin' fer, huh???

When I last had to take my Dad to the hospital, one of the questions the emergency room receptionist asked me was whether there were any firearms in the house.  I mentioned to her that was priviledged information and would be glad to have her arrested if she persisted in that line of questioning.  Well, after almost having a coronary over being so verbally rebuffed she insisted it was a State Heatlh Department requirement,  which I corrected and informed her it was not and then further specified that if she persisted I would gladly entreat the local gendarmes to come to the emergency room to arrest both she and the hospital administrator.   So she drops the question.......... go figger.

I guess what I'm saying is that the medical profession should stick to improving the quality of the services they and thier hospitals provide and limit their dang politicin' to the voting booth.  Just my two cents worth here.  Mikey.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2004, 07:55:38 AM »
Quote from: Mikey
When I last had to take my Dad to the hospital, one of the questions the emergency room receptionist asked me was whether there were any firearms in the house.  

Dali Llama say such question likely intended to elicit information regarding available means for suicide.  Dali say he doubt, however, if Mikey also asked if there be any scissors or knives in household. :P  :x  :evil:

Offline MoonGlow

The FEW that make the loudest noise are heard
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2004, 02:55:38 PM »
I have a lot of friends that are doctors and I know that a large portion of them are hunters/shooters. The ones that work in ERs maintain that they would much rather have someone show up that has been shot versus someone that has run up against a knife. Knife wounds tend to be more difficult to work on and do a lot more damage. Go figure?  :o
Glow

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2004, 07:04:49 AM »
You think a knife is bad. Try putting Humpty Dumpty back together again after a motor vehicle accident with out seat belts after the stearing wheel and windshield are done with them. :eek: