Author Topic: "Wildest" Deer Stand  (Read 901 times)

Offline kjeff50cal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
"Wildest" Deer Stand
« on: May 31, 2004, 04:53:56 PM »
What is the wildest deer stand you have hunted from? Any success? The wildest stand I have ever been in was not a stand at all, it was a hammock!!! It was slung 30 yards off a known deer trial and used four ropes to stablize it. Laying real quiet (I did almost fall asleep) a large doe all but walked in to me!!! She fell to a 158 grn 357 Max. bullet out of a rechambered Ubertie Baby Rolling Block.
Ignorance leads us into the darkness, Knowlege leads us out.

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
"Wildest" Deer Stand
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 07:26:15 PM »
In 1967 in South Carolina I got a very early start on a cold and rainy morning. I headed straight for a large magnolia tree I knew of. I crawled under that tree cleared a space fired up two large JON-E hand warmers under my poncho and proceeded to fall asleep. It was so warm and cozy under there. I came awake with the feeling of something large very close on my right. Large doe was so close that I just stuck the Win 94 out with one hand and pullet the trigger. Was so close that the hair was set on fire by the muzzle blast. That whole area is now a housing area they even bulldozed the magnolia tree.  :cry:
Love those .41s'

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
"Wildest" Deer Stand
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 05:55:45 AM »
Hmmm... either one of these:

1. The terrace in an open field in NW Missouri, where I simply layed on my belly with head and shoulders at the top of the terrace. There was simply no other form of cover in the open terrain between woodlots that I was forced to hunt do to property lines. Saw some does and a yearling buck, but not the papasita I was hoping for.

2. The old chicken house in the corner of a peanut field in Texas. It had openings left and right overlooking the field. Couldn't have built a better blind if I had tried. Killed two does that year out of that chicken house.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline smoky

• Contributor
    • http://www.cattletoday.com/sscc
"Wildest" Deer Stand
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 04:27:34 AM »
This is not really a deer stand, but there is a well known story in North Louisiana of a hard nosed game warden who would hide in an old log skidder tire that had been discarded in the woods on public land, and would hop out at just the right moment to check hunters for any game and liscense violations.

Smoky
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Offline Blaine

"Wildest" Deer Stand
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 05:11:21 PM »
Several years back, I had shoulder surgery on my right shoulder in October. Determined not to miss hunting season, I fashioned a tri-pod out of some old ski poles and attached then to the fore end of my savage 110. With me following along behind her with my arm in a sling, my wife carried a camo-net ground blind and set it up at my favorite spot (close to my hunting camp) and I hunted from that blind all week while I was at camp. On the last day I shot a 4 point buck using only my left hand and my tri-pod (I shoot left handed anyway so it wasn't really a stretch). Have I got a great wife or what? :lol:
Shoot straight and shoot SMART   :cb2:

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
"Wildest" Deer Stand
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 05:45:32 PM »
She sounds like a keeper. :grin:

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
"Wildest" Deer Stand
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 07:44:05 AM »
I have a couple of good ones.
1) I lived in North Dakota, I would get into those old hay bails and dig the center out. I would dig deep enough, so I could place a 5 gallon  bucket with a swivel chair inside and only my head was visible in the hay bail. I could see in all directions and swivel into position. It was like shooting from a bench. Now these were those large round hay bales. Yes I did get permission from the farmers first. :). I shot quit a few deer this way.

2) I hunted from an old abandoned car with no wheels just sitting on the ground. There were no windows, but the seats were still in there. I would put a tarp down over the seats, because they were dry rotted. I got  one deer from that old car.  :-D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
"Wildest" Deer Stand
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 04:27:30 PM »
A friend of mine use to use an old Johny-on- the spot  (yes the plastic out house)  he cleaned it real well and did a little work to the inside to make it more hunter friendly then cut some windows and put them on a hinge. a few cans of paint and a 4 Wheeler to get it to hos hunting location.

Offline Lawdog

"Wildest" Deer Stand
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 01:41:16 PM »
It was a tree house that had a roof, insulated walls(8 feet), measured 10'x18' and was located 20 feet up in a Hugh White Oak.  It had a toilet, sink(no running water though), electric lights and had a electric heater(lights and heater both powered by generator) in it for cold weather.  Windows opened to the inside for you to shoot out of.  Last I heard the owner was installing a small electric refrigerator and carpets.  This guy also has a duck blind that is permanently installed and is almost as well equipped and his deer blind.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.