Author Topic: 6mm remington Improved  (Read 885 times)

Offline Kentone

• Trade Count: (0)
6mm remington Improved
« on: April 13, 2004, 02:25:02 PM »
Hi Guys,

Anyone loading/shooting this?

How much can you gain over the standard cartridge?

Thanks and Take Care
give me calm,hot days

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
6mm remington Improved
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 01:56:39 AM »
I have one, that I'm still working on loads. I was using Varget with 55 gr. BT's. This is, a varmint rig with a 1in 12" twist. I had acheived 4150 fps, and probably could have pushed it a little more. While this combination was accurate with .6" groups average. The extreme velocity spread, was great enough, that I felt if I could tighen it up some, the accuracy might follow. So as of now I'm switching to H4350, hoping the higher loading density will tighen things up.
But in this cartridge with the lighter bullets and maybe even the heavier ones. I think (pending on barrel) a 100 -200 fps gain can be expected.The standard will 4000fps (55gr.). And quite honestly that's fast enough for me. I went with the AI to ensure I got there without pressure problems. But Also to reduce case trimming. It's an excellent round without out a doubt.
Dave

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
6mm remington Improved
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 04:22:57 AM »
Kentone,
There is a website devoted to the 6MM IMP. I don't remember the address off the top of my head, but do a search for 6mm improved on google and you'll find it.
I just looked and it's,  www.angelfire.com/sd/6mmackley
Dave375HH

Offline djl4570

Re: 6mm remington Improved
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 08:19:19 PM »
Quote from: Kentone
Hi Guys,

Anyone loading/shooting this?

How much can you gain over the standard cartridge?

Thanks and Take Care

Close, I called mine a .244 Remington Ackley because I went with a 12" twist.    I'm pretty much done fireforming a stock of cases and am moving forward with load development for 58g, 65g and 75g vmax, the 55g ballistic tip and the 70g match king.  

Depends on powder and bullet weight.   I am getting excellent results so far with everything on the above list plus some elcheapo 80g Remington Powerlokts that I bought for fireforming.  The rifle prefers slower powders.    I think the upper limits will be around 6% more powder.   Velocity improvements may be as much as 200fps.

I need to dig up a couple of sites I have bookmarked.   There are others loading this cartridge.    Watch this thread, I'll find um and post them.

Offline JC

6mm remington Improved
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 07:38:53 AM »
I love it.
Mine Started out as a 243 Remington from WalMart. I got a shilen 26.5" Select match barrel. I put a MPI Tactical Stock on it. I went with the 1/10 twist " wish I had opted for 1/8 " . It will shoot 75,80,85,87,95, and 100's with great results. I like Rel 22 and 4350 in mine. Great varmint cartridge and would be a decent white tail / antelope gun. If u set it up right. It will also blow up Jackrabbits

:sniper: