Author Topic: Model 39 S&W  (Read 401 times)

Offline Don McCullough

• Trade Count: (0)
Model 39 S&W
« on: July 16, 2004, 07:01:03 PM »
Years ago I had a Model 39 S&W handgun.  For carrying and grips fitting my hand--couldn't be beat!

Trouble is I hear this gun is not reliable.  Believe they helped this somewhat with a better extractor, or something with later versions.

Can someone give me the straight poop on this gun?  Like to have another and mainly because no handgun has ever felt as good in my hand as this one.  That grip shape was just right!

Don McCullough

Offline Iowegan

• A Real Regular
Model 39 S&W
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 07:22:04 PM »
The 39s used to be a popular law enforcement gun. I repaired many of them when they were popular. You hit on one of the three problems.  Seems like a hit and miss hardening process on the extractors. Some were too hard and broke, others were too soft and wore out.

Another problem was broken firing pins. Same issue. Some were too hard and got brittle.

The most serious problems were with the barrels. They frequently cracked just in front of the chamber. I replaced a bunch of them.

The mod 59, a double stack 9mm brother, had the same problems. Of course, there were thousands of guns that worked perfect and you never hear about them.

I liked them for the same reasons. Nice feel, good sights, near-perfect function. I wouldn't be afraid to buy one. Closely inspect the barrel and extractor. Don't shoot hot loads (factory included) or dry fire and you'll probably be fine.
GLB

Offline jhm

Model 39 S&W
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 03:51:35 AM »
Don :  I have a model 39 and out of several rounds I only had one problem and it was only the one time had a fired case to stick in the barrel and it was removed with a cleaning rod, I will lay half the problem on the ammo , not reloads, I have always liked it as a carry gun, but have switched to a S&W 6906, when not carrying a kel-tec, if I didnt have one I would buy one when I found it at my price. :D    JIM

Offline oso45-70

handgun general discussion
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 10:00:34 AM »
Don,
I've had both the39 & 59 liked both but like every thing i do, I traded both  for some thing that i couldent live another day without and now wish i had them back. I shot them both a lot and never had a moments problem
with either one. Most of the ammo. i used was my own hand loads an i kept the loads to the lower levels not trying to set the world on fire. I have tables at a gun show in Reserve NM the week end of the 7th& 8th
of Aug. And will be looking for one or the other, And if i find one i will bring it home with me. Have a good day...........Joe..........
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline Don McCullough

Model 39 S&W
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 06:03:45 PM »
Thank you all for your replies.  

My take then is that in most cases the Model 39 is about as dependable as most semi-auto handguns.

I don't intend to shoot it great amounts but really can't stand any gun that is not reliable.

I wonder if there's someone(s) who is good at ensuring this particular model is reliable.  That is a gunsmith whose good with this gun.

I believe S&W changed the extractor on "version 2" of this gun--and for the better.  Wonder if they changed other things--over time--for the better with this gun.  Point?  Wondering which "version" to buy.

Again, nice responses and I appreciate them.

Don McCullough

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Model 39 S&W
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 03:46:08 AM »
I only recently purchased a 39.  It is an early one with a steel frame.  

The extractor (improvement) you mentioned did make the gun less prone to extractor breakage.  Reportedly it does not work as well on some overseas casings

Another change is the ramp on the barrel, the early ones (my 39 included) have a hump in the ramp that will not work well with anything except ball ammo.

The little that I have fired my 39, I must say that I am hooked and will soon own another.  I want a 39-2 that will have the new extractor, no hump in the ramp and the alloy frame.

I greatly prefer the looks of the older 39's but the newer generation 3913 is considered a very reliable pistol.

My information is from talking to shooters, and books, I am by no stretch  an expert.  

HTH

Fred
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.