Author Topic: giant deer  (Read 1148 times)

Offline grrdt

• Trade Count: (0)
giant deer
« on: February 15, 2004, 08:06:07 AM »
what was the biggest deer any of you have ever shot? :sniper:

Offline lubbockdave

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
giant deer
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 10:12:28 AM »
8 pt weighed 180lbs field dressed-shot him this year.

Offline coboconk

giant deer
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 05:31:54 AM »
ten points, my brother inlaw, age 61,and I, age56, couldn't drag him through the thick brush were he finally dropped so we had to quarter him. When I get my son-inlaw here with his ditigal camera I will try to post the mount. My brother-inlaw says the deer was three hundred pounds. I am not good at guessing so I will let the pictures do the talking. The deer had a 21 1/2" spread and his neck measured 33". All I know is that it was the largest deer I have ever seen in person, and would compare it against any on the TV hunting shows. :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Offline Lawdog

giant deer
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 11:39:13 AM »
A 4x5, 31 inch spread Mule Deer buck I took just in Idaho in 1964.  Dressed out weight, 361 pounds.  Dragging this sucker uphill in 10 inches of snow was something I have never forgotten.  Downhill was a dream.  Rode him like a toboggan.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline 209x50

giant deer
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 02:54:10 PM »
a 264lb field dressed 9 point (142 net B&C)  nice deer...but damn heavy to lift....we grow them big here in Canada, but not many of them.

Offline Gregory

giant deer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 03:03:07 PM »
8 Pt 182 lbs dressed weight (at the check station scales).  Pictured in my avatar.
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline wareagleguy

giant deer
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 07:52:47 AM »
178 lbs dressed 13 pointer that will score in the mid/low 150s.  Killed this year and was shot less than 50 feet from a 183 lbs dressed 9 pointer (147 b/c)I killed last year.  Needless to say I have a honey hole!!!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Buckfever

• A Real Regular
161 3/4 B and C
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 12:39:01 PM »
Weighted 265lbs.  One in camp was 185 and it pushed 300lbs.  These are deer from Saskatchewan and they are huge.!  It is expensive to go but the Canadian Hunts have Monster Bucks!!

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
giant deer
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 01:19:49 PM »
76 lb button buck  :-D .  Yup you guessed it, it was my first deer.  Im hoping to beat it with something at least sporting a few spikes this year  :wink: .
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline crazyjjk

• Avid Poster
giant deer
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 02:41:46 AM »
Quote from: New Hampshire
76 lb button buck  :-D .  Yup you guessed it, it was my first deer.  Im hoping to beat it with something at least sporting a few spikes this year  :wink: .
Brian M.

New Hampshire, You know no matter how large a deer you get as your seasons go on. That 76 lb button buck is going to be the one you remember most. There is just something about the mix of emotions on getting your first deer that can never be duplicated. Those emotions will be there for every deer (something a non-hunter will never understand) but they seem to be the most intense with the first. Good going.

PS: 170lb 10pt with 2 broken tines probably would have been somewhat heavier but he had been rutting hard for quite awhile. Those things just don't like to eat when their brain falls below their belt line.

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
giant deer
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 12:07:47 PM »
crazyjjk, You sure are correct.  This deer, shot last season, was taken in my second year of hunting.  Im 25 now and have reached a point in my hunting "career" where it is now about the experience rather than the kill.  Some see it as odd, considering lots of hunters never make it out of the "limiting out" stage.  You know, the stage where it is about shooting the deer every tear no matter what the cost.  Im the only one in my family that eats the venison, so its not like I need deer galore.  I enjoy the woods and the whole experience in general.  A guy I work with sees ALL of hunting as a chore, from the walk in to the drag out.  For me its about friends, nature and deer.  Dragging that little 76 pounder up the hills of the power lines really kicked mine and my buddies butt.  But I would do it again in a heartbeat.  Ive even begun keeping a hunting log of everything I see and take from the woods.  I guess the gentleman I work with who is an old "salt" and certified hunter safety instructor has had a great influence on me.  He is just happy strolling through the woods.  Seeing deer is just adding to the greatest pleasure he gets.  Many (including myself,) think he can be a little bitof a loon sometimes, but I admire and respect what he has accomplished.  He does not know it, but he even has me contemplating taking the Hunter Safety Instructor certification program a few years from now.  2 years out and Im already thinking of how I can pass mt joy of the woods on to other prospective hunters.

Sorry for going off topic.  Forgivness.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline Buckfever

• A Real Regular
Wise beyond your years
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2004, 03:29:40 AM »
New Hampshire you ,after a very short period of time, have a mind set that many never achieve.  It will serve you well in the other outdoors quests you may go on.  Taking time to see all that is in the field along with the game is an added bonus to the actual hunt.  You need to consider how gifted you are to have a Mentor who took the time to get you to the place you are currently at!  His guidance has been a rare gift in todays fast paced world and one you will enjoy for many years to come!
Buckfever

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
giant deer
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2004, 08:04:48 AM »
This deer, shot last season, was taken in my second year of hunting. Im 25 now and have reached a point in my hunting "career" where it is now about the experience rather than the kill.

I sincerely hope you had a different mind set after being laid for the first time. :grin:
Deactivated for behavior in response to a warning from GB.

Offline Rick Teal

• A Real Regular
giant deer
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2004, 04:10:21 PM »
I don't usually have access to a scale when I shoot deer, but based upon other deer I've seen weighed, I'd estimate that I've shot 3 deer that would dress somewhere in the 230-250 pound range.  One was an eight pointer scoring 141 7/8, another, a 9 pointer scoring 119 6/8, and the third was a 10 pointer scoring 136 3/8.
Hunting is Exciting!  Bolt actions are BORING!!
Don't mix the two!

Offline Blaine

giant deer
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2004, 05:01:36 PM »
I haven't shot any really big bucks. The heaviest buck was 192 (with heart and liver) . I did shoot a doe a couple of years back that dressed at 154 lb (also with heart and liver). It looked as big as most of the bucks I've shot.

Blaine
Shoot straight and shoot SMART   :cb2:

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
giant deer
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2004, 04:55:05 PM »
It wasnt a deer that I shot but, yet my uncle!  We are from LA (Louisiana) and he took a trip to I think it was Indiana.  I am not sure exactly how much it weighed, but it scored OVER 170.  I think it was 173 but the guy let him slide because it would have cost him 3K more if it was over 170.  Even better was he killed it with a BOW.  My other uncle has killed two nice ones. One perfect wide 6 pointer that just forgot to grow the two extra points.  It was probably 17 inch inside, 19 outside. weihed about 185 lb.  The other one was a HUGE 9 pointer.  Biggest buck ever killed.  It was the wierdest thing........he said he almost didnt go hunting that day because it was 90 degrees (Louisiana) in december.  He shoot it at 294 yards right at the edge of the woods/cutover.  ran a few yards (like 20) and died.  Its a beast.  probably 19 inside, 20 1/2 outsode, and it weighed about 250 lbs. which is huge for a southern deer.

I am only 15 but I have killed 7 does (5 last year).  I am going to bag a monster this year I know it!!
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting