Author Topic: It's time for another C&B revolver  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
It's time for another C&B revolver
« on: December 13, 2003, 03:18:00 AM »
I have the big three, 1858, 1860 and 1851.  Thinking about another.  Anyone have the Remmington in .36?  

Dan C

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2003, 05:20:33 AM »
Oh, come on, Dan.  It's time to go unique.  Maybe a Starr, or LeMat like I have.  Something you can ask questions about and nobody knows the answer 'cause nobody gots one like it!

Wayne the Shrink
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
Starr or LeMat?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2003, 05:45:10 AM »
Wayne, I would, but they're just so darn ugly!  

Dan C

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2003, 09:57:31 AM »
Oh, come on now, Dan.  Everyone who has shot my LeMat has loved it, even non-shooters, and LOML even comments on how well it is made and how beautiful it is compared to modern autos!  Personally I think the Paterson is the most beautiful revolver ever made, the first one without the loading lever.  I have to agree with you about the Starr, though.  

Wayne the Shrink
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline 1860

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2003, 01:22:58 AM »
Since I'm spending your money, a 49 Pocket(with silver backstrap), or, since bigger is better---a 3rd Model dragoon.  But then again, those baby Remingtons with the brass frames are sort of nice looking, in an Ugly sort of way...How much money are ya giving me to work with??

Offline Full House

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2003, 08:20:07 AM »
Everyone needs an 1847 Colt Walker. Dixie Gun Works has them on sell for $245.00.

Kings and sixes
Full House

Offline Flint

another
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2003, 08:57:04 AM »
It's hard to find a sweeter shooting gun than an Uberti Remington Navy....
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Super Rat

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003, 08:12:37 AM »
The Navy Remington in .36 is the Sweetest of the Sweet. But not only is it sweeter than honey, it can STING like the bee!

I'm so happy with my Remington (Uberti) .36 that I can't stand it. It shoots to POA and is extremely accurate.

I used to think .36's were weak, and actually I got it originally to use as a grouse gun. I've since discovered that with a full chamber of 777, it will put my 1860 Colt to shame. I mean it really pops off. The .36, actually a .375, is not weak. And it sure carries better than the 1860. It's now replaced my 1860 as a woods-carry gun because for practical purposes (a back of the head put-down shot on big game, or two-legged varmints) I can load it up to where it will do anything the .44 would, but loaded down the smaller ball is eaiser on small game, if I should need to use the gun for that reason.

Think no more. GET a .36 Remington Navy.
Brown Bess .75 calibre carbine, .62 calibre Jaeger, .58 Calibre slug gun.

Offline Sundown Holly

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 12:00:40 PM »
Super Rat, I know you entered your post over 7 months ago, but I hope that you're still out there.  You said that the .36 caliber puts the .44 in the Colt 1860 Army to shame. You said that with a full chamber of 777 that it "really pops off."  Could you elaborate on this. How does it put the .44 to shame, and what do you mean by "pops off?"

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
.36 over .44
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2004, 05:00:40 AM »
Sundown:

I'll try to answer.

Roundballs are great hitters.  I think the profile of the ball delivers more shock than the sharper point of conical bullets.  However, that shock does depend a little more on velocity and the .36 has a great deal more velocity than the .44 in reproduction cap and ball revolvers (not counting the Walker or Dragoons).  

My tests with 777 and a Navy indicate that I can achieve 200 fps greater velocity over the Army and I don't believe penetration is any greater in the .44 caliber ball.  The Navy takes less powder to do it as well.  

There is no doubt that a .44 caliber ball is a good choice and no one will fault you for choosing one over a .36, but 777 makes the .36 a great choice!  Yes, it will improve the performance of the .44 as well, but it takes a great deal more powder to do it.  

Dan C

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2004, 07:23:57 AM »
I'm not so sure that the .36 has "a great deal" more velocity than a .44.
And, a heavier, larger diameter ball is going to provide a lot of extra energy all by itself. We  are comparing an 80 grain ball to a 140 grain ball here. I believe that is 75% more lead hitting the target. That is a useful gain. The .44 Army is a little ahead of the .38 special in terms of energy, while the .36 Navy is well behind it. In the past I have heard the Navy compared to a .32 special in terms of actual power. In any case, the .36 lags about 100 fpe behind the .44.
   I can stuff 33 grains of fffg into my '60 Armies without much work and about 27 grains into my '51 Navys, so there really isn't a great deal of difference in the amount of powder used. Balance and carry weight are pretty much the same.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 10:22:04 AM »
heck Dan. Just get one of these
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes