Author Topic: Question about 10 gauge reciever  (Read 802 times)

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Question about 10 gauge reciever
« on: July 28, 2004, 01:55:24 AM »
What shotgun barrels will H&R put on it. I thought it was just other 10 gauge or the ultra 12 gauge bull barrel. The reason I'm asking is my 16 gauge locks up tight on this reciever. It's like they were made for each other. The lock up is absolutey perfect.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 02:04:30 AM »
BBF, is the outer diameter of the chamber end of the barrel centered on the breech end of the receiver? I am wondering if the firing pin is centered on the bore and if it will hit the center of the primer?. If so shoot it and let us know how it works out....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 02:27:57 AM »
I'll take some anti-sieze and put it on the face of the barrel and then close it. That will tell me for sure. Just looking at it it looks centered except the barrel is about a 1/8 inch lower than the reciever.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 03:09:11 AM »
BBF, Interesting, it seems to me that if the outer diameter of the barrel appears to be about 1/8th inch "lower" in the receiver than the Ultra slug barrel then the firing pin would be about half that or 1/16th inch lower (offset). If it is it might still fire the primer and if it does (either centered or offset a bit) the shell is still centered in the bore so there is no danger after the primer goes off.  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  Brain cramp!!! If the barrel appears to sit 1/8 inch lower in the receiver and is "bottomed out" in the receiver then the firing pin should be offset (lower) by the same 1/8th inch, perhaps making it impossible for the firing pin to strike the primer. :oops:  :oops:  :oops: .  The worst that could happen would be a broken firing pin. I say if you want to try a primed shell or even a loaded one go for it. You might want to try a fired shell in it first and then check it to see if there is another firing pin strike evident and where it is on the shell. If that 16 gauge barrel works on your 10 gauge receiver then all others (12,20,28 and .410) will work also since the others all all of the same outer diameter....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 03:20:23 PM »
BBF -

i think all these problems you are describing are insurmountable and the shotgun should be sold to me....

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 01:37:36 AM »
Well I never got a chance to try the 16 gauge barrel to see if was centered for sure but I did get to shoot it 2 times. Would have shoot it more but seen in Midway how much the shells cost. Let me tell you something. When that pattern hits the target at 25 yards there is only two words to describe it. HOLY COW! It blowed a 5/4 decking board into 3 pieces. I then tried a 5/8 piece of plywood. It blowed a oblong shaped hole on the entrance side about 2 inches long and a 1 inch wide and the back side of the plywood there looked to be a 4 to 5 inch round chunk blowed out of it. Simply amazing.

BBF

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 04:13:54 PM »
I wnat one of these so bad. I think the sb2-32c might be the Christmas gun this year.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun