Author Topic: Effective range of sabots?  (Read 549 times)

Offline Bowhunter57

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Effective range of sabots?
« on: July 15, 2004, 01:10:46 AM »
I hear all kinds of: "I shot this deer at 180 yards, I shot that deer at 220 yards", statements from other deer hunters. I was in an area last year that was wide open and my closest shot, that I had all day, was 136 yards.....so, I never had what I call a "reasonable shot". I would like to extend my shooting range.

I'm considering the purchase of a rifled slug barrel. I intend to scope this weapon and use quality sabot ammo.

What is the "effective" or "killing" range is for this type of weapon?

Your opinions and experience is appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 02:30:19 AM »
I would say that there is no magic number in yards on what  your farthest distance would be.  My suggestion would be to test different ammunition at various ranges to see how they group.  For example: ammo A may not group worth a hoot at 150 but ammo B may hold a good group out to 200 yards or so.  Then its a matter of using a laser range finder and knowing your equipment's trajectory.  Taping a ballistic's/drop chart to your sluggun's stock wouldn't hurt so you'd have instant access to how much drop/holdover is neccessary at the heat of the moment.  I know that this info is vague, but its hard to give a definate answer without knowing how good your equipment is and how good you are.  Its a hunter specific thing.  Good luck.

Offline 2500HD

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 04:20:13 AM »
I shoot a 12 ga H&R Ultra Slugger single shot and I can hold a group of three shots you can cover with a half dollar at 120yrds. I have never really shot it farther than that but I'm pretty sure that 150 is possible. I would look into a nice muzzle loader if you are wanting anything any farther. I would guess a common long distance with a rifled slug gun would be from 75-125 yards with good stuff and practice.

Offline Bowhunter57

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 04:22:54 PM »
High Brass,
Your reply is very realistic. Personally, I'd have to bench shoot any weapon to know what it and it's ammo can do, at the yardages that I intend to hunt. After that it's up to me to do my part.  :wink:

2500HD,
Thank you for the information on the Ultra Slugger. I've been looking at one as a possible purchase for the deer/gun season. Since the Ohio deer/gun season only lasts for 7 days, I find it difficult to put a lot of money into a dedicated weapon for so such a short usage time period. However, the Ultra Slugger is very reasonably priced.  8)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 03:31:09 AM »
My best guess would be using a high quality slug like the Barnes X, I can see a 175 yard kill on thin skinned game such as deer. beyond that, I think you would be pushing it.

There a good reason why slug's have a poor reputation and often referred to as "The Best Wounding" weapon available.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3