Author Topic: What's under the black paint?  (Read 844 times)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
What's under the black paint?
« on: July 27, 2004, 11:41:27 AM »
Anyone here ever strip the black paint (stain?) off of a set of Topper stocks?   I'm toying with the idea of stripping and refinishing my Topper's stocks with a driftwood gray stain.    My stocks are like new so the refinish job is not necessary I just thought this would make a striking combination with the nickel receiver and  black barrel & recoil pad.  I'ld like to know what kind of wood I can expect before I get myself into this.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 12:23:07 PM »
I did it to mine when I was a teen and it was a very light wood. Came right of with zip strip or quick. If I was doing it now I would use dad's paint remover. Work's like a charm but very harsh and stinky, use gloves
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MTNMAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 12:51:32 PM »
After stripping a couple I've found one had a very straight grained Maple, the other a semi burly Maple with some nice swirled grain...both were almost white.... MTNMAN :grin:
Patience comes with age & you can't teach common sense

Jeff Gannon who was known to his many friends here as Mtnman passed away the other day. 09-27-05

Offline Brett

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 01:18:09 PM »
Hmmm... thanks MTNMAN that is just the information I was looking for.  A Maple type grain would not be bad, much better than say Basswood or White Birch which have very straight, closed grain.  My fear is that I'm going to go through all the trouble and expense of refinishing and end up with a nondescript slab of wood that looks like it's been painted gray apposed to a nondescript slab of wood that's been painted black!  How have you refinished the ones that you did?

Offline MTNMAN

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 01:01:42 AM »
Yup, Flat black spray paint :grin:
Patience comes with age & you can't teach common sense

Jeff Gannon who was known to his many friends here as Mtnman passed away the other day. 09-27-05

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 03:38:29 PM »
Good morning all.....

I was dove hunting with my topper 28 one day and put on a heavy does of bug spray (No Stinking bugs) That crap is powerful took the paint clean off in spots on the forearm and pistol grip.  So I removed the rest of the paint (with a paint remover this time)  The wood looked like white pine to me.....But hey I'm a grunt so it might have been walnut for all I know.  I used a dark walnut stain and it turned off pretty good.  I finished it off with a satin gloss clear finish.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Brett

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 04:36:04 PM »
Dave - Be careful what you wear when you are using bug repellant containing DEET.  That stuff will literally dissolve a nylon wind breaker or rain suit!  :shock:

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 08:08:47 AM »
My experience was similar to MTNMAN's...The stock was straight and the forend was twisty grain.  The stock stained a lighter color than the forend...Not too bad but the shades do differ.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense