Author Topic: Tracker Scope Mount  (Read 634 times)

Offline HuntenNut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Tracker Scope Mount
« on: July 27, 2004, 09:46:58 AM »
I found a used Tracker II 12ga that I am picking up this weekend for $85. I have the 12ga Ultra which is great, but is too heavy for a walking gun. I will use the ultra on opening day in my stand, and the tracker for the rest of the time which I am usually walking around.

I am considering two options to improve on sighting:

1 is the peep sight setup that LeftoverDJ has posted (thanks for putting up those pictures).

2 is drill and tap for a scope. I have seen comments here that some have had them mounted, and that there are gunsmiths that will do it. I did a search on this forum and was unable to locate any posts of anyone who has done it on a 12 gage. I am uncomfortable with doing this myself, although I do have a drill press, I would prefer to send to a gunsmith. Has anyone out there gotten a 12ga drilled and tapped, or can you recommend a gunsmith to do it? I don't understand why the chamber is said to be too thin. Seems like the chambers on my repeaters are much thinner than the tracker, even taking into account the depth of a small screw hole.

3 is some sort of soldered on scope base. Someone recently mentioned having done this. What sort of procedure did you follow. Similar to how the peep sight was mounted I suppose? Is this going to be sturdy mount considering the heavy recoil of the tracker?

Offline 50 Calshtr

• Avid Poster
Tracker Scope Mount
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 08:58:26 AM »
HuntenNut
   Drop down this page about half to the post on "Rifled Slug Barrel?" and see my second reply, about # 10 of 12.  It gives you an idea of how I mounted a scope without drilling/tapping. It's sorta not pretty but it has held for three years now.
Best.

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
Tracker Scope Mount
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 01:43:43 AM »
Thanks 50 cal,

I did find it.

I'm leaning more towards doing the peep sight install that Leftoverdj has put up pictures of. Seems pretty straight forward, looks good and goes with the theme of this gun, which is light weight, dependable walking around gun.