Author Topic: Purchased used Ruger Old Army Cal. Question ???  (Read 720 times)

Offline Beanie Caster

• Trade Count: (0)
Purchased used Ruger Old Army Cal. Question ???
« on: July 26, 2004, 07:48:28 AM »
:D Just purchased a used Ruger O/A revolver on gunbroker.com,
I am mixed up on cal. some adds say .44 and others say .45....
seller used .460 ball. Ruger's websight says .45 cal, and rec. using
.457 ball.

New to black powder all help needed and THANKS !!

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
Purchased used Ruger Old Army Cal. Question
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 08:25:06 AM »
Yup, Ruger Old Army revolvers are known as .45 cal. I think a 460 ball might be a bit to ram. I use a .457 pure lead ball I cast myself. It will shave a nice even ring of lead when rammed onto the load. I found a lot of inconsistancies with Hornaday balls and I found that Speer was a consistant 457 and a tad softer too.
I have 4 ROAs and I rarely shoot my 7 1/2s, but I sure do like my 5 1/2 stainless ones. I shoot cowboy action with mine. I shoot a pair of them and I have also outfitted them with Kirst conversions too. ROAs are versatile.
There are many black powders and substitute black powders to use for loading. If you need help along that line, just ask. I will check back.
You are gonna have some fun with your new C&B. They are great for plinking and hunting. Rugers are stout. :grin:
BTW there is a new all BP website up and running now and they have a place where new comers can ask all kinds of questions.
http://brimstonepistoleros.com/bpforum/index.php
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline Pogue

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 05:34:22 AM »
I"ve always used .454 in mine, and still get a shaved ring.

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 04:32:13 PM »

...Chris
"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike!" Spiro Agnew

Offline Flint

caliber
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 07:24:35 PM »
Don't let the cap & ball recommended ball size get confused with the actual caliber of the gun.  The Ruger bore is 450, so it shoots, with a conversion cylinder, a 45 Colt bullet.  The 457 ball is larger in order to shave a ring and be a very tight fit in the chamber when seated.  After seating it is shaved/squeezed much closer to the bore diameter.

So called 44's, as in old and repro Colts and Remington cap & balls are 44 caliber land diameter, and are about 451 to 454 groove diameter, so they will also convert to 45 Colt with a conversion cylinder.  Most have a slightly smaller chamber diameter and so use either 451 or 454 balls, depending on the maker.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life