Author Topic: foster type slugs in full choke barrels  (Read 1004 times)

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
foster type slugs in full choke barrels
« on: August 14, 2004, 08:24:17 PM »
:shock: I was wondering if this is true or not plus i never thought of doing or really never bothered to; will foster type slugs shoot ok in a full choke barrel or not? i've always heard they wouldn't work or would cause the barrel to stretch; which i don't believe would happen unless you would do something totally stupid like e.g. 12ga. in a 16ga.
i have a 16ga. topper model 145 i got when i was 15 and would once like to use it to deer hunt using "punkin balls".
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 03:52:31 AM »
mr.frosty,

The Foster Slugs such as Remington, Federal, Winchester and Brenneke that have rifling on the sides will be fine in a full choke. The rifling is designed to swage down when going through the choke and will shoot well in full, modified and improved cylinder bores. My father has shot more deer than I can remember through a 16ga full choked barrel with Foster Slugs since the late 1940's without any problems with his choke. I have shot hundreds of slugs through a modified choked 12ga.

Of course a IC or rifled barrel is more desirable for slug shooting, but millions of deer have been shot with Foster Slugs through full choked shotguns and they aren't complaining. :)
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline gwhilikerz

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 05:20:05 AM »
mrFrosty, No problem shooting foster slugs in full choke. I did it for years. Just be sure to take several slugs to your shooting range to see where the gun is hitting.  I normally take a simple full sized paper plate after I know where the gun is hitting and start shooting at the plate at close range (usually 20yds.)
 I increase the distance to the target about 5 yds at a time until I reach the distance where hitting the plate is iffy. Then I know about how far I can shoot that slug in that gun and be confident of hitting a deer in the boiler room.  This method has worked for me for years with all manner of chokes and guages. Hope it works out for you.

Offline gwhilikerz

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 08:25:43 AM »
Oh I forgot. Do your shooting from an offhand position or rested standing if possible. If you hunker down over a shooting bench you will want to stop shooting before you know you gun well enough to hunt with it. A few shots from the bench and flinching takes over. OUCH!