Author Topic: 28 gauge pattern (group)  (Read 590 times)

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
28 gauge pattern (group)
« on: August 02, 2004, 03:00:59 PM »
i shot the new 28 barrel fitted to the receiver that BBF sold me, schweet !!!! at 15 yards i got a good solid 18" pattern with 6's and the  modified choke.

over pointers, this will be an A-1 pheasant gun !!!! a bit much for quail but i may bring it to the first hunt this fall anyway and give it a try. i don't know, maybe even a good grouse gun, geez ! when does fall start ???!!??

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
yur 28
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 01:27:18 PM »
glad to hear about the 28ga ive been kickin myself around deciding on getting one , ive got 20's  410's , an thought why not  then why then why not????/ ive never shot a 28 , where do u putthe recoil level  closer to 410? or 20ga do u reload for the 28?

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
28 gauge pattern (group)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 02:16:26 PM »
hi shaner -

the recoil on the 28 ga pardner is light with a 3/4 oz load. it feels about the same as a 11/16 oz field load on the 410. it's a close call if anything. but it is much less than a 20 gauge.

i like the gun as nice as it is , but i'm not convinced (yet) it would do any better than my 410. i need to try it out in the field.

havent reloaded for the 28 yet, i only shot a box through it so far, a mec jr may be here in the future if i end up liking it this fall.

my best guess is that this will probably be a good pheasant gun out to 20 yards or so with #6's, maybe good for quail using 8 1/2 or 9's ????

i do like the modified choke over the full choke offered on most pardners. most people tend to over choke (full, X-full), and vaporize birds (i am guilty of that). it would be even better if it came with an improved cylinder choke.

my advice to myself is to stop jabbering and shoot the darn thing !

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
28 ga
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 01:07:11 AM »
one good thing ive noticed an read also is they are producing more loads for the 28 ga , ivenoticed them atthe sporting stores around here , remington has a couple new loads in the sts hull so it should load up nice , i suppose i might as well get one of my own , i shoot the heck out of my 410, good thing i relaod them they are touch to relaod , good winter projects