Author Topic: Seating WFN Bullets  (Read 635 times)

Offline 1895GG

• Trade Count: (0)
Seating WFN Bullets
« on: August 18, 2004, 12:44:18 PM »
Question for those of you that have loaded Wide Flat Nose bullets:  Did you use the bullet seating screw that came with your bullet seating die or did you use a special one?  If so, where did you get it?  I have some WFN bullets with a much wider meplat than my FN seating screw and don't want to mess up the WFN bullets.
Shoot That ThAng!

Offline critter killr

WFN bullet seating
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 04:24:42 PM »
1895GG   I just use the one that comes with the seating die for semi-wadcuters. I haven't had any problems yet.

Offline 1895GG

Seating WFN Bullets
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 06:03:38 PM »
OK, I'll give it a shot!  Thought it might mess up the nose.
Shoot That ThAng!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Seating WFN Bullets
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 03:19:59 AM »
1895GG:  I have encountered the same concern when loading the 444 Marlin.  I was concerned that my rn/fn seating screw might booger up the nose on the wfn bullets I was using but it didn't happen.

Only once did this concern come up, then I changed my seating practices to assure it didn't happen.

When I bell the mouth of my cases, I use a Lyman 'M' die, which bells the mouth of the case enough to allow for easier seating of the bullet.   Initially seating the bullet after belling and charging the case is very postivie.  Then I run the load into my seating die.  The seating die is adjusted so that the bullet is seated to the proper depth but the case is not crimped - it is just tightened so I can run it into a Lyman factory taper crimp die to make a more positive and uniform taper crimp.

Even when I use 'stick' powders that don't want to compress as easily as ball or flake powders do, and sometimes 'spring back' to push the bullet back out of the case, using that 'M' die allows me to seat the bullet to the proper depth in the case and the case tension holds the bullet in place.  Then, using the dual process of seating and then taper crimping, I get totally positve and error free seating and crimping without any damage to the bullet nose.

Now, all this being said about loading the 444, I know there is the same stuff avialable for the 45-70.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline 1895GG

Seating WFN Bullets
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 05:08:18 AM »
Thanx Mikey.  I am using a Lyman die set.  I always use the M die and on this particular load I am not having to compress the powder.  My main concern was damaging the nose and possibly not being able to get the bullet started straight.
Shoot That ThAng!