Author Topic: .356 TSW?  (Read 607 times)

Offline New Hampshire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
.356 TSW?
« on: August 04, 2004, 02:31:10 AM »
Can anyone give me a background/history of this cartridge?  I tried doing a search but did not get enyhting more than a casual mention of it.  I just happened to be looking in a catalog and saw the mentioned rounds brass for sale.  I thought to myself "hmmm never heard of that one."  So now Im curious.  So anyone know about this cartridge?
Thanks,
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
356 TSW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 07:00:59 AM »
It's a specialized cartridge originated by Smith & Wesson for some sort of competition use.  I don't know much about it beyond that.

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
.356 TSW?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 11:27:41 AM »
Aside from what unspellable said, all i know is that S&W made a special model just for the cartridge for competitive uses.  Was a kinda early version of the .357 Sig in my opinion but never caught on at the time.  Proberly because it was marketed as a competition round and not a defensive round as the .357 Sig was.  I've seen but 2 guns chambered in such cartridge.
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
.356 TSW?
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 08:13:27 PM »
I believe it was a stretched 9mm run at moderate pressure to use in competition.  The plus was that it had more room for powder, so pressures weren't up into the 50K range like a hot 38 Super.  It never really caught on, I think the 40's & 10's kinda put it outta business, though it's still seen from time to time.  

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?