Author Topic: Range Report .45 cal Bargain Plains Pistol  (Read 477 times)

Offline kjeff50cal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Range Report .45 cal Bargain Plains Pistol
« on: August 11, 2004, 07:28:49 PM »
Those of you that have perused my post on the .45 caliber Plains Pistol I picked up for a song (see .45 caliber Plains Pistol the Price is Right thread) well I cleaned her up and put a volunteered rear sight (from my Rossi Combo Rifle because the rifle already had a 3 X 9 scope on it). The front sight is a staked piece of 1/8" brass rod. The first target at 25 yards (I know this is a little far for a gun with a 6" barrel. I started out with a fowling shot of 25 grains FFFG (Goex) behind a PB. I used a 6 o'clock hold and squeezed the trigger. When the smoke cleared I was looking at a hole at 4 o'clock between the X and 10 rings!!! I should of quit right then but I wanted to see how it grouped with different charges. Two more 25 grain shots opened up to 3 1/2". I then tried a few 35 grain charges that shot well with my .50 plains pistol. It did not like it (shots printed all over the target) and after examining the patches, the heavier charges burned and tore them up indicating I may need thicker patching (.080 with these loads) or settle for a milder load.

kjeff50(?)cal
Ignorance leads us into the darkness, Knowlege leads us out.