Author Topic: What is the scariest thing that ever happend to you while...  (Read 5561 times)

Offline Old Griz

• Trade Count: (0)
What is the scariest thing that ever happen
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2003, 12:10:33 PM »
01magnatec,

After reading your story I'm mighty glad you're still with us. I have a cousin restricted to a wheelchair now because he fell asleep in his treestand and didn't have a safety harness. He broke his neck and was very lucky he wasn't killed. It seems like the simplist things are the ones we tend to overlook.
:cb2:
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline rconnely

Bullets zipping overhead
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2003, 07:51:04 PM »
My Scariest experience is when my Uncle and I are deer hunting walking on our dirt road when we hear a BANG followed by a loud zzzziiiiiipp over our heads.  We hit the deck hard and fast but then the idiot shot another two times with the bullets still zipping over our heads and hitting the dirt 20 feet behind us.  We were yelling at the As* the whole time and I took aim in the area of the shots figuring shoot back if it doesn't stop. Needless to say I never saw the person.  I then stood up carefully and the shots stopped.  I ran to my Tahoe parked about 100 yds away and was Super Raged.  Being an armed Security Officer I had my duty belt and threw it on and flew through the woods driving over small dead standing trees the whole way.  When I got to the general area where the shots had to come from I did not find anyone except a kid up in a tree in his back yard.  The kid said he didn't see anyone.  Kind of hard to belive seeing as the shots came from his general direction.  I reamed the kid a new one telling him that if he does see anyone shooting in our direction they will be shot back at and arrested if they live.

Offline coboconk

« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2004, 02:29:48 PM »
A friend and I were hunting in Canada one year and about mid morning the wind picked up. By the time we were coming out for lunch the wind was really howling. We were walking up the trail, the trail split around a clump of trees, my friend went to one side of the trees and I went to the other side. We were abreast of the trees when we heard a loud bang and the top third of the largest tree snapped of because of the wind.  :eek: My friend dove for the tree trunk and hugged it assuming the top would fall away from the tree and not straight down. I ran off the trail into the thick woods next to the trail. The tree top came down on my side and hung up in the branches of the trees I went into trying to get away. It stopped about eight inches over my head. the branches of the other trees hung it up and saved me from a serious injury.  :shock: Every time the wind picks up when hunting I tend to look a what's above me. :D

Offline SingleShotShorty

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2004, 05:48:55 AM »
While working my way through some brush while going to my treestand I came opon a pack of feral dogs that had just pulled a large doe down. We kind of came nose to nose as it was and they acted like they might jump me what with all the grouling and charges and I thought her I am with not a tree close enough to climb and only my bow and hunting knife. I decided to challenge them and they finally backed off but it was touch and go for awhile. I now carry my Glock when bowhunting. Other than this I was taking down a 16' ladder stand and had it fall with me on it, about half way down I bailed and all I can say is .... the ground is sure hard when you hit it but lucky for me I did not break any thing or get hurt but it made me change the way I take these stands down and put them up.
Old Age and Treachery Will Alway's Overcome
Youth and Skill.

Offline willis5

• Contributor
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2004, 06:10:41 AM »
When I was about 10 we were duck hunting On teh shore in Maryland , my grandfather was explaining the importance of muzzle direction for the millionth time (I was getting sick of it!) not 30 seconds later, we were loading our guns and my gandfathers 1100 went off whe he chambered a round... he was pointing it in a safe direction. straight up and out over 1000 yards of marsh... I never got sick of hearing safey talk again.
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline MATLOCK12C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2004, 07:14:21 AM »
I went out hunting one day and it was way before daylight, I was hunting a pasture with a ground blind. It was made out of some salvage hardwood pallets from work. with some old limbs and such for cammo. It looked like a brush pile on the edge of the pasture.  It was just below freezing, and the wind was light but cutting none the less. I was armed with my mag light, 270. slung over my shoulder and my side arm a 38. snubby in my coat poket. Just as I was about to enter my blind, I herd a shuffel and grunt come fron Inside it. Just as I thought "what the ...."  :shock:  and reached for the snubby, out come a big ol Sow!  :eek:  She wasnt happy being woke from her beauty sleep!  :x  We were nose to nose! I drew the 38, and backed off. She just grunted and broke left at a dead run squealing. As I stood there in shock, out run two little pigs squeeling too!  I was just stunned! then I just laughed my butt off!  Its the last time I left the door open after that! :-D  I still see the ol sow from time to time on the place. I put out some corn for her, and two more litters since then.
MATLOCK12C@AOL.Com

Remember, 95% of all energency room visits are made shortly AFTER this statement; HEY, Y'ALL WATCH THIS!  :shock:   :)  :)  :-D

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2004, 03:39:28 AM »
It happened in 1989. Right after a long hard day of deer hunting (35 degrees, 20mph wind and rain) I returned home and found out that my mother-in-law just should up for a suprise week visit......................
Deactivated for behavior in response to a warning from GB.

Offline MATLOCK12C

• Avid Poster
GOOD GOD! "NOT THE INLAW FROM BEYOND "
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2004, 04:45:45 AM »
LORD O' MERCY MAN ! :shock:  How could you even mention something so Horrible!  :twisted: I got chills just reading that!  :eek:  Why not tell us about something a little LESS FRIGHTING like CHAINSAW JUGGELING,  :grin: or a nice ROOT CANNAL !  :grin:  GOOD GOD MAN! HAVE YOU NO COMPASSION FOR YOUR FELLOW OUTDOORSMEN ?  :wink:
MATLOCK12C@AOL.Com

Remember, 95% of all energency room visits are made shortly AFTER this statement; HEY, Y'ALL WATCH THIS!  :shock:   :)  :)  :-D

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2004, 05:27:00 PM »
Well, as I am friends with "THE#1HUNTER", he could probably re-call this event. One time were on farmland small game hunting. Now there was a field to our backs and the field held a notorious bull. You could hear him carrying on within 5 minutes of your arrival. On our way out of the land, the bull actually started to chase us! We got up on a ridge and the SOB backed down.
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2004, 09:23:55 PM »
I have had a lot of things happen over the years that was very fearful but the scariest thing I have ever had happen was this:

I took one of my buddies hunting that had never been before, all he had was an SKS and I tried to talk him into taking one of my guns but nope he wanted to use it and he did, at least I talked him into not using the FMJs he was going to use :?   I set him up sitting in an old abandoned house where I knew a lot of Bucks worked and left him, after an hour or so I heard him shoot, and shoot, and shoot, and shoot,etc. If he shot once he shot 20 times...I went to see what he was shooting at and there it hit me...about 600 yards off was a big herd of COWS!!!! :eek:  It scared me to death that he had shot some farmers cow but luckily he missed, the kicker is when I went storming through the house hollering at him he said "Thats the biggest bunch of does I ever seen How high do I gotta hold over em to hit em?" needless to say I never left him alone hunting again.(I almost never took him hunting again but he had never been taught anything and my anger actually flowed to sorrow.)
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2004, 01:03:41 PM »
:cb2: Similar story, but funny, not scary. Took a group of inner city kids from a correctional school camping once, and when they first saw cows, instead of does, they thought they were the biggest dogs they had ever seen. Naturally, these guys didn't have guns (or it would have been a scary story!).
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2004, 09:10:36 AM »
Even though the "7MagWoodsman" had a serious saftey issue in it, I actually laughed pretty hard when I read it. And "Old Griz", that was hilarious too!!  :)
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline iisabigone

« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2004, 11:43:39 AM »
Probably the time I was sneaking around the head of a holler trying to get set up on a Roosted Turkey Gobbler one morning was my scariest experience.

I was easing across a section of exposed shale when the shale gave way and I went sliding down the side of the mountain. I was doing pretty good keeping from getting hurt to bad until I came to this cliff. I went over the cliff and saw how far I was getting ready to fall (OH SH--!) and felt a sigh of relief. It was only about 15 feet. I prepared for a rough landing and that is just what I got. I landed on my feet at a 45 degre backward angle and just kinda let my body go into it.

I took the fall pretty good but my head snapped back and hit a root on a tree knocking me unconscous.

I came too when a storm blew in and rained on me sometime in the early afternoon. I swear there were buzzards roosted in the trees around me when I woke up.

I was all in one piece but I had a concussion, broken leg, broken ankle broken elbow and several cuts and bruises. I even broke the stock on my shotgun and bent the barrel somehow.

It took quite an effort to work my way back around the mountain with my injuries but I made it back to the truck before dark. I had fallen at daylight.

I had made the decision to hunt this spot at the last minute and no one knew where I was or when to expect me at work or home.

I always carry my survival gear and a cellphone with me when I venture out on my adventures. The survival gear is beter to have and not need than to need and not have and I like to call my wife and make sure she gets to work and home safely.

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2004, 01:58:46 PM »
A few years back I was bow-hunting and seeing a lot of deer that were out of range!  This was my first evening out with my new Oneida Eagle, Aero Force bow!
Gradually it got dark, beyond shooting light and I quivered my arrow and lowered my bow to the ground and climbed down. I picked up my bow and, with it over my shoulder, I started across the meadow towards my truck.
There were still lots of deer out in the meadow and some were "very nice" bucks!
All of a sudden, I heard something running "FAST", so I stopped and looked in all directions! Finally I saw something moving, out in front of me, when it occurred to me that it was probably one of the bigger bucks that I had seen earlier, running the lesser bucks out of his meadow!  As it got closer, (25 yards or so) I knew it was a big buck and he was still running at me.  In an instant, the bow was off my shoulder and I was holding in in "baseball bat" fashion and I said to myself "if nothing else, this deer will have some marks too"!  I started yelling as loud as I could, but I don't think the buck even heard me.  I think he realized that I wasn't another buck when he was nearly on me!  When he went by, he was within 6 feet or so as veered off to my right!
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2004, 02:27:01 PM »
Chuck White,
              I have had that happen too, it does scare the crap nearly out of you.....I have thought twice about using buck scent and glands "on myself" since then. :lol:
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
whatis the scariest
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2004, 05:41:45 PM »
My kid was out deer hunting with me and came across a couple of half grown cougars were acting a bit too interested.He didn't want to shoot them so he bent over to pick up a rock[ very bad move] the cats became a way more aggresive at this , and closed the distance.He shot at the nearest ones feet and the bullet threw gravel in it's face.The cats turned tail and ran off- and my kid came home and changed his pants.