Author Topic: new user here..need info on 45-70 reloads  (Read 887 times)

Offline longhorn1

• Trade Count: (0)
new user here..need info on 45-70 reloads
« on: August 09, 2004, 04:43:05 PM »
just bought a newenglander 45-70..need info on what kind of powder..what size primers..an how many gr's of powder for a 300gr hollow point..any help would sure be appricated...want to reload my own rounds.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 05:20:46 PM »
Hi Longhorn1, welcome to Graybeard Outdoors!  :D I'm new to the .45-70 myself, in fact I don't even have mine back from H&R yet! But I got all the stuff I need to start reloading except the rifle, am a new handloader but an old shooter! :wink:  You'll find lots of loads posted here if you look through the last few weeks of posts on the .45-70 and I'm sure someone will share their pet load with ya as they have with me. Have fun and play safe!  :grin:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline longhorn1

45-70
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 05:26:50 PM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
Hi Longhorn1, welcome to Graybeard Outdoors!  :D I'm new to the .45-70 myself, in fact I don't even have mine back from H&R yet! But I got all the stuff I need to start reloading except the rifle, am a new handloader but an old shooter! :wink:  You'll find lots of loads posted here if you look through the last few weeks of posts on the .45-70 and I'm sure someone will share their pet load with ya as they have with me
. Have fun and play safe!  :grin:

thanks glide i found this sight..thanks for the info..also glide to meet u.

Offline JBKERNS

Loads
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 01:28:55 AM »
Searches on Google and this board's search feature will give you more loads than you can process. I used this question about a month ago.  I still am overwhelmed.

I got the 45-70 last month.  The following is currently producing one holers:

Win Brass
Win LR Primer
50.0 Grains IMR3031
Remington 300 JHP (Bulk), seated mid-canelovue (sp)

This load jars my teeth and I hope to test 49.5 grains next. There is a preference here for Reloader.

I have learned that the late great Elmer Keith liked 55 gr IMR3031 under a Hornady 350 SP for Alaska timber.  (Source: Forty Years With the .45-70)

Have fun! Jeff

Offline ajj

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 03:16:01 AM »
First, get at least one, good reloading manual. The Lyman is a good one. The 45-70 will use a very wide range of powders as long as you follow a manual and work up loads from below max. One of the best ways to enjoy this rifle is with 400 gr commercial cast bullets and fairly mild charges of "pistol" powders starting with Unique. No need to rattle your teeth every shot. 3031 is a good powdr for 300 gr jacketed bullets but, again, you may find that a load well below max is sufficient. The cartridge takes large rifle primers. Have fun and be safe.

Offline Joel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 06:46:15 AM »
I've been shooting and reloading for my 45/70 handi for around 13 years now, and until this year used 300 gr bullets exclusively.....Hornady, Sierra HP's and Barnes semi-spitzers.  Never shot the Remingtons but understand they are similar in constuction to the others.  Loaded them as high as 2173 fps using 51.2 grs of IMR 4198(a MAX load out of the Hornady manual...start 10 % below that and be careful) and around 28 FP of recoil and as low as around 1840fps using 42.5 grs of the same powder.  Recoil was pleasant at the low end.   Remington primers always and either Winchester or Federal brass.   I"ve learned this much about them.

A.  My Handi would shot the 300's into less than an inch at 100 yds using any of the above bullets and IMR 4198.   Re7 works well also; giving you the same or higher velocities(if that's what you need) at lower pressures than most of the other powders listed.

B.  The barnes is designed for higher velocities and won't expand reliably at 2173 starting velocity unless it hits bones.

C.  The Hornady and and Sierra at 2173 acted like oversized 270's and blew the crap out of any deer they hit at ranges under 100 yds.  Wayyyy too much bloodshot meat.  Either bullet is designed for velocities at around 1800 fps or lower.  The original Factory loads by Winchester and Federal advertised 1880 fps but lied......velocity was around 1680 fps; and they worked perfectly at that speed.  I finally settled on the 42.5 gr of IMR 4198 at book value velocity of 1840fps and found that perfect for deer out to 125 yds; which is the farthest I"ve shot one with the 45/70.  If your one of those folks looking to walk around bragging about this great old cartridge "flattening" critters in their tracks you might be a bit disappointed; at least in my experience with the 300's.  The 23 deer I've killed with the handi using any of the above loads, only 3 fell in their tracks, and those three were spine shots.  All the others ran anywhere from 25 to 75 yds....but left a blood trail that a  blind man could follow and , in the lower velocity loads, left all the edible meat you could want.  That's why I use it; you will NOT lose the deer due to a faint spot of blood here and there.  And you get to eat the critter.  Most, to tell the truth, ran about 25-35 yds and fell within sight, except in the real heavy cover.

D.  This year I"ve switched to the 400 gr Speer Flat Nose behind 44 gr of Re7 for what is supposed to be around 1750 fps(and  a lot heaver recoil than the 300 grs).  That's not even close to a Max load, but all I need.

While this site and others are great for finding loads, a reloading manual gives you SAFE, proven data.  Don't take What I've written here as gospel..start low and safe and work up.  For the 45/70 I like either the Lyman or Hornady manuals.

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 10:32:33 AM »
I have been playing around with loads for the 45-70 for a couple of months now.

I started out with a 300 grain Remington HP, and 50- 55 grains of H4198.  This one will jar your teeth.

I have since gone to 29-32 grains of H4198, and a 405 grain cast bullet.  This load is actually a lot easier on the shoulder than 300 grain load.  It will leave a lot of unburned powder in your barrel though.  I guess i'll settle for that, with the groups that it gives me.

You're going to need Large Rifle primers for your loads.  I've heard of people using Large Rifle Magnum primers, and i've even tried them myself, but I don't think you need them.

Like Joel said, get yourself a couple of loading manuals and read them from cover to cover.  I don't know what your level of experience with reloading is, but reading manuals is always a good idea.

Good luck and be safe.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 11:04:21 AM »
I ordered the Loadbook USA for the .45-70 from Midway. Don't know how good it is, but it looked good to me.

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/694314
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jim_in_fla

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 12:40:26 AM »
:D  quickdtoo, you won't be disappointed with Midway's load book. I bought one about 6-months ago for my .223 and it's all I use now. They have copied pages from the bullet and powder manufacturers original manuals.

I do have ,and recommend getting other manual also if you are just starting out. I have the Lee Loader's manual, Lymans 48th Edition and some powder mfr's manuals. They each have a wealth of information of their own. You just can't have too much info in the reloading game.  :wink:
jim
Veteran
Semper Fi

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 01:25:52 PM »
ordered the Loadbook USA for the .45-70 from Midway. Don't know how good it is, but it looked good to me.

That's my primary 45-70 data source and it has fit the bill for everything I've loaded so far.

The thing about the Handi is it's light weight.  I'm planning on getting a nef 45-70 barrel but will probably use it only for light bullets and sorta light loads.  I have a win high wall for the heavier stuff that leaves you still facing the same direction after you set it off :-D