Author Topic: 223 REM for deer? Anybody use 'em?  (Read 1667 times)

Offline drags

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
223 REM for deer? Anybody use 'em?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2004, 03:57:43 PM »
Hi Chuck, I loaded some 40gr. sierra hornet bullets today that i'm going to try this week in my C527 american rifle, I used Lil-gun powder I'll see how it shoots. I want to shoot some groundhogs this year with it also. Thanks for the reply.
Drags

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2004, 05:40:40 PM »
Layne Simpson had a big write up in Shooting times in Sept.2000 on this subject.He killed quite a few deer with the 223,22-250 & 220Swift. He felt (after the test) that impact velocity needed to be above 2500 fps.Therby limiting the 223 to about 100 yards or less!  He used 53 gr Barnes X  and Fed 55 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets In all tests..Layne is a serious hunter who has the ability to turn down IFFY shots. Many beginners would not be able to hold back when presented any shot. I feel like a few others on this board,the .223 and the .410 are NOT for beginners .Experts maybe ,but not beginners! A 7 t/cu contender carbine will not kick much harder,but will be better in a new/young hunters hands!

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2004, 06:11:09 PM »
People will sit around and bash these .22 centerfires, but when it comes down to it, for deer(whitetail) at semi close range...they do the job, my friend use to use one and none of his deer went further than 30 yards besides the ones he dropped in their tracks  :eek:
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2004, 05:30:10 AM »
Siince I now live in Texas and freedom of choice hasn't been legislated out of existance yet we still get to use "any centerfire rifle" for our deer hunting.  Acouple of years ago a friend who is the property manager of a high fence game ranch comprizing of 11,000 acres had a huge problem when a disease came in with either a red deer or an Axis deer and was transferred to the deer on the place.  This required the killing of all deer related animals on the property.  I used an Olympic arms AR 15 with the 16 inch barrel for this work along with several other rifles but the ranch supplied 55 grain FMJ rounds, surplus from the Viet Nam conflict.so I used the 223 most. In the course of 4 months I shot 600 deer with this rifle and found the round very effective.  The bullets reliably tumbled and then broke up giving adequate penetration and destructive ability.  In fact large exit wounds were common and the bullets always made it thru shoulders to do plenty of damage to the vitals.  In fact the biologist who examined each animal for the disease considered the round to be very destructive.  I tried to always hit the shoulder blade or the neck just in front and at the bottom edge of the shoulder blade but due to brush I often had to take other shots.  Most were shot at around 60-150 yards.  Would I reccomend the 223 for just anybody, no but for a good shot and an experienced hunter the round will perform well on deer that usually weigh under 125 pounds and at ranges under 150 yards.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2004, 11:20:11 AM »
rickt300,
          Can't NOBODY argue with that record. :grin: but I hate to hear that,that many critters had to be killed for that reason :(
I am thankful I am from a state that still allows any center fire, and is actually void of gun laws compared to all the surrounding states.
Happy Hunting :D
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor