Author Topic: Kerry Tries to Woo Gun Voters  (Read 435 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
Kerry Tries to Woo Gun Voters
« on: August 10, 2004, 12:46:07 PM »
Jon E. Dougherty, NewsMax.com

Tuesday, Aug. 10, 2004

Television and print ads are filled with images of Democrat presidential nominee John Kerry as a gunslinger.

Whether it is a picture of him toting an M-16 assault rifle in Vietnam, or whether he's armed with a shotgun playing the avid hunter in Rural Somewhere, U.S.A., this is one Democrat who isn't afraid to lock and load.

But what's all this gunplay about? Left-wing Democrats aren't known for their love of the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. And although Kerry hasn't been the biggest foe of gun rights, he hasn't been a friend either.

What's in a picture?

"At the Gunslick Trap Club in Wisconsin last month, the Massachusetts Democrat blew away 17 of 25 clay targets. On a recent flier put out by the Laborers' International Union, he's depicted as a 'lifelong hunter.' And in one of his own campaign commercials, he's pictured toting a shotgun," Washington Post columnist Jeffrey H. Birnbaum wrote Monday.

The strategy is simple enough. If you're weak on an issue, champion it – or, at a minimum, at least look as if you're its champion.

"As a life-long hunter and fisherman, I am proud to be among the millions of American sportsmen and sportswomen who are dedicated to conserving fish and wildlife and passing along the American hunting and fishing heritage to the next generation," Kerry says on his campaign's Web site. "I think I do a better job of fighting for the rights of sportsmen than George Bush does."

Not Fooled

But the nation's premier gun rights group, National Rifle Association, isn't fooled. And that's not good news for Kerry and his running mate, Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina.

In 2000, NRA got out the gun-rights vote against Al Gore and helped defeat him in such states as West Virginia, New Hampshire, Missouri, Arkansas and, most humiliatingly, Tennessee.

And its president, Wayne LaPierre, says this time around NRA is planning to be a bigger player.

"We're going to be very active," he told the Post.

LaPierre says the group will spend about $20 million this election cycle. That's about the same amount of money as four years ago, but NRA's chief says much of the money this time around will go toward targeted races and campaigns.

Also, it will be supplemented by a vast network of volunteer activists.

"Over the past two years, the NRA has recruited its most energetic members and directed them to organize voters in more than 400 congressional districts nationwide," said Birnbaum.

LaPierre warns everyone not to be fooled by Kerry's gunslinger image.

He says Kerry has consistently voted against gun rights over his decades on Capitol Hill, a point the NRA is making in newspaper, radio and television ads around the country.

In one commercial that is already airing in toss-up states, La Pierre asks, "Senator, how can you talk out of both sides of your mouth and keep a straight face?"

Kerry's strategy has two risks:

A backlash from his elitist supporters on the coasts who are anti-choice on Second Amendment rights.

Ridicule from the likes of Mark Steyn, who wrote: "Possibly his weird Vietnam nostalgia is getting out of control. Still, if I come across a guy in the woods in deer season inching through the undergrowth with a mouthful of bear scat, at least I'll know who it is."
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 07:55:29 PM »
" Ridicule from the likes of Mark Steyn, who wrote: "Possibly his weird Vietnam nostalgia is getting out of control. Still, if I come across a guy in the woods in deer season inching through the undergrowth with a mouthful of bear scat, at least I'll know who it is."

Seems like Kerry is comfortable with all types of scat coming out of his mouth. As a NRA member I sure do not trust any one who has been rated a solid F in gun issues in the past. As usual Kerry is playing chamelion to which ever group he addresses. I wish he would come through this area again I would like to ask him about his sudden change to pro gun :)  :)  :)  All Smoke and Mirrors Most of us can see through it but I bet some will fall for it and that is unfortunate!
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 01:37:23 AM »
Quote from: jh45gun
Seems like Kerry is comfortable with all types of scat coming out of his mouth.
That do indeed be the case, say Dali Llama. :-D  :)  :)  :)  :-D
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk