Author Topic: Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe 12G questions  (Read 991 times)

Offline BC73

• Trade Count: (0)
Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe 12G questions
« on: August 09, 2004, 03:36:19 PM »
I have never hunted deer with a slug gun before only rifle. And have limited use with smooth bore shotguns. What kind of range should I expect using the Ultra slug Hunter deluxe 12G and what size shell for deer, I have always used 2 3/4 on my Topper but notice the Ultra will take a 3 inch, does this make for a longer reach or just a bigger load? Also I have yet to experience harvesting a deer with a 12g  slug , so what should I expect at say 100 yards or less compared to a rifle say a 30-06? Thanks

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 04:37:45 PM »
well the 30-06 really kicks butt in this comparison .don't expect deer to drop in their tracks.  range wise it really depends on the load you use if your willing to put out the money for the good stuff you can probably shoot up to 200 yards (more like 150 but 200 is very possible) to know you true range you going to have to find the best grouping bullet for your gun then let the drop and the energy (try to have at least 800flbs at the target) my ultra happens to like remington corlokt slug 2 3/4 the best and i feel very comfortable shooting at 150 yards and would shoot 200 if a good opportunity came up. i would just go buy one box of every different slug (2 3/4 inch 3 is a waist of shoulder)at your sporting goods store shoot them all and use the best . as for performance at 100 yards if you get one lung it should fall in side of 57 two lungs in side of 50 most the time they won't drop but they still die fast just put the pill where it belongs and go to where you shot it at and look for blood and go find you deer.

good luck to you buddy keep us posted on how it goes
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 04:47:56 PM »
I would say stay within 150yds. And I shot two deer last year with 2 3/4" federal premiums that dropped in their tracks. I think you'll find most think 200yds is a stretch.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline BC73

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 05:01:49 PM »
Thanks, Im gonna buy a bunch of different 2 3/4 and goto the range, Im hunting in an area where my furthest shot MIGHT be 100 yards, so I think the Slug should do its job as long as I do mine  :)  Guess its all about where they get hit, I have killed 3 deer 2 of them dropped on the spot at 100+ yards with my 30-06 the one last year I shot, I hit him, at about 75 yards in the heart, he jumped up and ran towards my direction then off to the side of me about another 40 yards past me, so he ran a good 115 yards after I hit him. Can't wait until Nov here in Michigan. Thanks again!  :D

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 05:17:20 PM »
Both of the ones I shot were heart and lung shot and they just fell over. If you're shooting 100 yds or less the I don't think an ultra slugger shooting sabots is any handicap at all. The worst thing is the cost of the ammo.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 12:01:46 PM »
Most of the deer I have shot with my ultra 12 ga dropped at or near point of impact <10yds. Only one needed a 2nd shot and that was my fault not the slugs. At these ranges, I can't see that you are at any disadvantage with a slug vs 30-06. The only advantage in my book to the rifle is the flatter trajectory and lighter recoil. I think the slug has more knock down power at close range.  

For 100yds or less, try the "heavier" slugs like the lightfields or the new Remington Buckhammers. Theres also a new one out by Hastings that looks interesting. Appears to be the same slug that you can buy from sabot technologies for reloading. They're a lot cheaper and have bigger hole than the hyper velocity ones like Winchester partition gold and Remington Core lokt.

Offline BC73

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 05:23:41 PM »
Well this year when I go, im taking both guns one is a back up and will stay in the truck or at camp, this time I'll be hunting with the ultra, just because I want to get it wet, im gonna put a fixed 4 power leupold scope on it that my dad bought about 30 years ago, dads passed now, but he'll be with me in Nov.. Thanks for the replies!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 02:38:50 AM »
Good luck with that set up BC...Just make sure that the scope has enough eye relief to use with the Ultra Slugger...They tend to have a little kick.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline BC73

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 03:03:17 AM »
Thanks for that input WNY, If it doesnt work out I'll have to get a shot gun scope, dont want to have scope eye!

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 03:34:41 AM »
BC,

I have a Simmons 4x32 I've been trying to get rid of. Its no Leupold, but is a good scope for the Ultra with 5.5" eye relief and pro diamond retical which covers vitals at 40yds. It has flip up covers on it too.

PM me if you are interested.

Offline BC73

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2004, 08:31:50 AM »
Thanks HuntenNut, but my brother is gonna give me a simmons whitetail classic 1.5-5 x 20 which he used to have on his mossberg, I'll give it a shot if the leupold doesnt work out.