Author Topic: 0.4" groups at 50yds  (Read 545 times)

Offline borg1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
0.4" groups at 50yds
« on: August 10, 2004, 04:18:36 AM »
I know this is off topic, but I tried the o-ring accurizing technique for Handi's on my Ruger 10/22.  My 50 yd. groups went from 0.9" to 0.4" in target loads (i fired 3, 5 shot groups each with Federal Gold Medals and Remington Target Loads.  When the gun was stock i was lucky to put 5 rounds inside of 1.5" at 50 yds.  I put the o-ring over the screw that attaches the stock and receiver together.  The barrel is now free floated all the way back to the receiver.  I sanded down the original stock much earlier to create a sporterized stock with natural finish, added all match grade components to the trigger group, and polished the bore with JP's bore paste.  I was a bit worried accuracy would be bad because i've read that the stock barrel does best when contacting the end of the stock.  not in my gun anyway...

It is probably not surprising that i was able to attain these groups with target ammo at 50 yds, but i was using a 3 MOA BSA red dot scope when i did it!!!  I am now shopping for a scope worthy of the gun, thinking a BSA Contender 4 x 14 x 50 or a Platinum grade 4 x 24 x 44.  Any opinions on these two choices.

Offline 223Shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
0.4" groups at 50yds
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 03:58:04 PM »
Nice shooting. With my 22mag Savage/Anchutz, ammo makes the difference. CCI's 40gr hp's shoot the best of all the brands I've tried.  I want to use this 22mag on a (close shot) coyote this fall and see how it will perform. When I hit a coyote with my .223 NEF, its curtains for mr. coyote.  I really love my .223 NEF Handi.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
0.4" groups at 50yds
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 04:37:13 PM »
The .22 Mag makes a great short range (100 yards and under) coyote gun here in the Northeast. Maine and Mass coyotyes never know what hit them if you do your part and put the bullet where you should after waiting for a good shot....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley