Author Topic: CVA 50 Caliber Kentucky pistol  (Read 1329 times)

Offline RDavidP

• Trade Count: (0)
CVA 50 Caliber Kentucky pistol
« on: August 06, 2004, 01:52:54 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has a CVA 50 Caliber Kentucky black powder pistol, or know where I can find a review of it.  I currently have a 44 Caliber 1851 Colt Navy revolver, and am also interested in a pistol such as the Kentucy.  Thanks.

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 02:48:22 PM »
Traditions has a Kentucky pistol made by the same Spanish company that supplied CVA.  Ready made an in Kit form.  You can also find the traditions Kentucky at Dixie Gun Works.

These are the only sources I can find for  the Ardesa made pistols.  They used to have a wider variety including derringers, the cva mountain pistol and others.
Years ago, I put together a Mountain pistol in .50 and it was very accurate.
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline jgalar

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 05:35:03 PM »
I have one. I haven't spent much time working up loads, but its fun to shoot and looks good. www.midwayusa.com has them on sale now. It doesn't look like it, but the barrel is easily removed for cleaning.

Offline kjeff50cal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 05:44:49 PM »
I have a CVA Plains Pistol (6" Barrel) check out my range report http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=33359
Ignorance leads us into the darkness, Knowlege leads us out.

Offline RDavidP

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 01:48:49 AM »
Quote from: jgalar
I have one. I haven't spent much time working up loads, but its fun to shoot and looks good. www.midwayusa.com has them on sale now. It doesn't look like it, but the barrel is easily removed for cleaning.

Hence the reason why I was wondering about the pistol since it is at such a good price.   :grin:    I may have to order it now.

Offline jgalar

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 04:10:27 AM »
CVA gives a max load of 60 grains fff for the gun. From shooting mine it appears to have some accuracy potential, but during my last shooting session the front sight got loose in the dovetail. I just need to stake it. The sights are not bad. You will probably need to file the front sight down, but there is plenty of it to work with. For someone familiar with period guns it is a bogus gun being a percussion gun, but I have had a few people who have come over to the house tell me they would display the gun rather than keep it in the safe. For the price midway is asking, I don't think you will be disapointed.

Traditions makes a similar gun so I bought the Traditions holster. The CVA gun must be a bit larger than the Traditions model because the holster isn't a very good fit.

I just looked at another sight and they are asking $145 for the gun.

It is much more difficult loading a muzzleloading handgun than a rifle because you are doing the loading in your hands I would suggest also buying or making a pistol reloading ramrod such as these...

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partList.aspx?catID=6&subID=48&styleID=1047

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2004, 01:38:33 PM »
I could not resist the price. I ordered one last night. It will compliment my GPR nicely and I can always hang it on the wall.
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline TimWieneke

• Avid Poster
    • http://pub53.ezboard.com/bprimalfires
Pistol
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 06:42:41 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on that kentucky pistol price.  I just ordered one.

Tim

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 03:51:37 PM »
Well, mine came today. The trigger guard was warped a little but 5 minutes with vice, plier and dremel corrected it. A complete disassembly is simple and requires only a good set of screwdrivers. The wood has some figure to it but the finish can be improved on if one has a mind to, For less than $90 shipped, I am very happy with the purchase. I'll try to get out and shoot it this weekend.
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God