Author Topic: a real loaded question  (Read 566 times)

Offline dawg_doc

• Trade Count: (0)
a real loaded question
« on: August 08, 2004, 01:31:48 PM »
Oh man, I feel stupid for asking a silly and oft repeated question, but I'd like some advice.  I've reads lots on the topic, but thought I'd ask anyway.  I've been a handgun and muzzleloader shooter/hunter for 20 years but know little about rifles other than what I've read.  I figure it's time to invest in a decent centerfire rifle.  Living out west, I'm looking primarly for an antelope and deer rifle, with elk if I can ever draw a tag.  I'm left-eyed, so that limits my choices somewhat.  30-06's are the most common in lefty guns, but the .270 is appealing also.  I guess I'm curious if there's any reason to consider anything else.  I reload for a number of strange handgun calibers, so as long as components are available it's not a big deal.   I realize there's no such thing as a 'perfect' caliber, but I own a safe full of handguns and can't afford a safe full of rifles.   I found a sweet Tikka 30-06 in left-hand for a decent price.  The quality seems quite nice and I was impressed with the workmanship.  Is this a decent rifle?

Offline Lawdog

a real loaded question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 01:07:15 PM »
dawg_doc,

The Tikka(made by Sako,one of the better manufactures) is a excellent rifle and the .30-06 is hard to beat for your game choices you stated.  Mount a good 3-12X or so scope on it and you will be set.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
a real loaded question
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 11:38:18 AM »
The Tikka rifles have a good reputation and for all around it would be hard to beat the 30-06.  I don't know what "for a good price" means, since it is relative to new or used, T-3 or Whitetail Hunter etc.... But I do not think you will regret the Tikka.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline dawg_doc

a real loaded question
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 12:39:03 PM »
Thanks guys for the encouragement.  I thought I was probably about to make a decent investment, but wasn't sure.  It's a left-handed WT hunter for less than $400 new.  I don't know what market value is, but it seemed like a decent price when manufacturing quality was compared to equal price rifles.   Regardless, after reading of all the new fangled and fancy calibers, I couldn't see any real reason to not go the 30-06 route.  cheers, Doc

Offline jlk

a real loaded question
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 02:50:44 AM »
I had a Tikka in 338 Win Mag and it was a great shooting gun. The trigger was easy to adjust and the bolt is the slickest I have ever seen in a bolt action rifle. If I were to buy another bolt gun, it would be a Tikka.
One Well Placed Shot Is All It Takes