Author Topic: Gun for son  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Gun for son
« on: July 31, 2004, 09:59:09 AM »
My eight year old wants his own shotgun.  I told him if he goes hunting with me five times this year and enjoys it I will by him one.

I want to get him an NEF because of his age, I wan't to limit him to one shot.  

Should I go 20 gauge?  Any other suggestions, please advise.
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Gun for son
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 10:42:28 AM »
i bought my nieghbors 10 year old grandson a .410 youth pardner. his first time out he was scared, but a weekend up at camp and a bunch of clay pidgeons later (laying on the ground !) he was fine with it. he also reloads his own ammo under my supervision.

my opinion is that for the younger guys, a 20 guage may have too much recoil for them, unless if you load some mild shells for them. the 410 can be a handicap, small shot clouds, full chokes, 1/2 ounce loads all work against hitting anything, but you have to start somewhere !

get him to help you reload too !

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Flingarrows

• Trade Count: (1)
Gun for son
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 10:58:13 AM »
my son is about your sons age. his birthday is in 3 weeks and i just picked up a nef .28 ga. youth. it was under a hundred too. walmart had to order it because they didnt stock it. it took about a week here is some of the members replys that helped me decide on the 28: http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=34581

Offline Specklebelly

• Contributor
Gun for son
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 12:48:04 PM »
The bad news is I am limited to steel shot.  We hunt mostly migratory birds and steel is required.

I have never seen .410 or 28 gauge steel loads.  Are they available?

If the 20 is too large, I may just have to figure something else out.

My son is the pretty big for a eight year old.  He is the tallest in his grade level at school and around 105 lbs.  That is why I thought the 20 would be OK.  The last thing I want to do is scare him with a big load.
Specklebelly

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
Gun for son
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 01:02:02 PM »
you can also use bismuth. cabelas sells bismuth no-tox for 12 gauge down through 410 bore.

sg.
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Gun for son
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 08:24:23 PM »
Hey Speck  :D  Man it's been a long time since you've been on the boards here, good to see ya back. I'd go ahead and get him  the 20 gauge. Might think of the youth model and an added slip-on recoil pad though. They have lots of the youth mods stocked at the OA store there in OKC and the recoil pads are about $10 at Wally world. After he out grows the youth stock just purchase a full sized one from H&R and you still got a great little back-up gun for him.............after you pass that SP-10 down to him :wink:  :) .
Good to CYA again. Take care.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
Gun for son
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 05:25:09 AM »
If you do go with a 410, check out the versa pack. It is youth sized and comes with interchangeable 410 and 22lr barrels and includes a very nice padded case which holds everything.

I picked one up a few years ago for my wife for around $125 (I use it more than her, though, as it is a fun little gun to shoot even though its too small technically). I'm not sure what they go for now, but I think there was a post here or on the rifle board not too long ago from someone who ordered one through Walmart for not too much more than that. Its a pain in the butt to go through Walmart cause noone there knows what they are doing, but they do have the lowest prices. Also, Gander Mountain can order them pretty cheap, and they know a lot more usually than the Walmarts.

I am not sure, but I believe you may also be able to add shotgun barrels of larger gauge to the receiver when your boy does get a little bigger, although with the prices going up on the accessory program, you can just about get a whole new pardner for the price of the freight/barrel/fitting charge.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Gun for son
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 08:42:57 AM »
I was the one that bought the versapac recently.If he was just starting out shooting and was going to hunt rabbit/squirrel and smaller fowl at close range it might be a good package but for geese and ducks I'd get him the 20. He won't notice the recoil when he's knocking his 1st big canada out of the autum sky.I started with a 20 and my buddy's 8yr old does fine with his. Maybe it's because I never heard much talk of recoil shyness as a kid.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Specklebelly

• Contributor
Gun for son
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004, 09:23:24 AM »
L2H

I have been gone a while.  My new job has taken a lot of my free time.  I sneak on the boards every now and then but have been limited in posting.  Now that hunting season is almost here I will definitely find time for gun talk.  You mentioned passing down the SP-10.  That is probably the best idea.  It means I can buy me a new one.   :lol:

Thanks for the OA suggestion.  I will swing by there in a couple of weeks.

All

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I will let you know what I end up with.

One more question.  If I get a youth model, how much is the stock upgrade when he out goes the youth stock?
Specklebelly

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Gun for son
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2004, 11:14:55 AM »
Speck - I have a 2004 Retail Parts Price List Form and it lists the Pardner Full Pistol Grip Buttstock w/ Walnut Finish and black butt plate at $22.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Sourdough

Gun for son
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 08:24:10 PM »
The worst thing you can do to a kid is give him a 410.  410s are for experienced hunters, not enough shot for a kid.  My Dad gave me a 410 when I was 13, I grew to hate shotguns.  Usually could not hit anything with it and when I did I crippled a lot of birds.  When I left home it was 20 years before I started shooting shotguns again.  I sure missed a lot of good skeet shooting due to my attitude about shotguns, that I got from that hated 410.  Give them a 20ga.  My son (Who is small for his age) started shooting skeet with a 20ga barrel that I had fitted to his Handi, when he was 10.  Now he is 15 and practically lives with a 12ga in his hands.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Gun for son
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2004, 12:03:43 PM »
Sourdough,what kind of 12 ga. does he have in his hands all the time???
later :Dbuckslayer :wink:
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline Oquirrh

Re: Gun for son
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2004, 11:45:12 AM »
Quote from: Specklebelly

Should I go 20 gauge?  

Just got my son, 13, a Pardner 20g. He chose it.

We shot some clays last weekend and he had a ball. Broke quite a few and the kick--which he was dreading--was a non-issue.

I've seen to many kids frustrated with .410s. It's just too hard to hit with them.

Offline Sourdough

Gun for son
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2004, 06:51:09 PM »
buckslayer:  A Smith&Wesson model 3000 Waterfowler.  Fully parkerized, pump, with a 20 inch slug barrel, and a 26 inch barrel with removable choke tubes.  He gave up the Handi when he started shooting Grouse and Ptarmigan, needed followup shots.  There is usually two or three birds togeather.  He also carries it all summer for Bear Protection, when fishing.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline 50 Calshtr

• Avid Poster
Gun for son
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2004, 07:23:03 AM »
Specklebelly,
    You may want to consider an SB-2, say a 30-30, with a twenty ga barrel.  That way you can add any other barrel he may want as he gets older.  Has worked well for my son, he now has five from 20 Ga thru 45-70 and can hunt birds, blackpowder and big game.

Offline Sourdough

Gun for son
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2004, 08:00:37 AM »
I started Sky out with a .243 Handi when he was 8.  Then had a 20ga barrel fitted when he was 10.  He and his Mom have added a .45-70, and Huntsman barrels to it since then.  Now he's 15 and loves to shoot.  His new hobby tho is vieing for first place with shooting, He took up fencing.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Gun for son
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2004, 10:36:03 AM »
LOL Sourdough, fencing is an honorable profession. Is he into barbed-wire, picket, or chain-link fencing? :wink:

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
Gun for son
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2004, 01:03:58 PM »
i dunno if you should support your son's buying and selling stolen items.... :)
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.