Author Topic: revolver cleaning  (Read 1689 times)

Offline hoggunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • 4A's Personal Protection Training
revolver cleaning
« on: April 12, 2008, 05:56:35 AM »
I shoot a raging bull in 44 mag, and have two reloads worked up for it. the first is my pliinking load of 7 grains of titegroup and 240 grain cast bullets. this is a middle of the road load not to hot, not to timid. most manuals state a starting load of 4.7 grains to a max load of 10 grains. the next reload I run thru her is my hunting load of 24 grains of H110 and 240 grain hornady xtp's. the hunting load i have to thank Gray Beard for as he recommended it and i love the way it performs, all six shots in a paper plate at 100 yards with a Bushnell holo site.
when we go to the range to burn powder i shoot the plinkers out to 50 yards then when we back up to the 100 yr mark I shoot the hunting load. i do not clean at the range and normally shoot about 100 rounds for the day.
My ? is after shooting the cast bullets then switching to the jacketed bullets what would you do to clean the gun after getting home.
I have just been using wipe out overnight then patching out in the morning and it seems to work but I am wondering if I need to do anything more.
thanks in advance
hoggunner

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: revoler cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 09:38:42 AM »
probably the wrong guy to give you advice. I run them till they quit shooting well or functioning well and then hose them off with break clean and oil them and go back to shooting. they may get a good cleaning about once a year. I will never put a brush in a handgun barrel that shoots cast unless its leaded to the point that accuracy is effected. then if that happens i know somethings wrong and I FIX IT!
blue lives matter

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 10:54:29 AM »
A lot of my hunting here is done in cold weather and when the firearm is returned to the warm indoors it will start sweating for sure. For that reason, it has become ingrained within myself to get these wiped down and cleaned thoroughly. I really don't think that you have to worry about undue damage just so you stick with the right cleaning equipment. A jointed, aluminum rod can do more harm than good as grit can be impregnated into the porosity of the aluminum. My own choices are one piece stainless rods and bore guides and you can clean quickly and carefully. Make sure to hold the rod by the handle...it is designed to spin on the shaft so the patches & brushes will follow the rifling. I have been using the newer Hoppes Elite, it is kind of expensive but appears to be working well on the copper & lead.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 11:24:42 AM »
There is nothing much I hate worse than cleaning guns. It just seems like time better spent doing something else even if it's only a nap. My procedure is kinda like Lloyd's. I don't clean them exactly as he does but like him doing it ONLY when the gun cries out in protest and forces me to do it. I just keep the finger printswiped off outside on blued guns and for SS often don't even bother with that. I'm basically lazy and don't waste time cleaning unnecessarily.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline warrior1

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 01:21:07 PM »
sorry guys i clean em every shooting. i cannot leave a gun go . i will agree i am getting a bit lazier
and will use one of the foaming cleaners,then let it sit for a few hours or overnite,this routine helps,but i still follow up wtih additional cleaning.
i've found  the surplus cleaner that  comes in about a 32oz can works as well as anything.
good shootin, dan
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 06:07:35 PM »
I also clean mine each and every time I use them.I really enjoy it !!!To me it is just another part of my hobby of shooting;just as reloading is.I enjoy it all........Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 12:34:56 AM »
you guys have to understand that when i go to the range which is about 3 to 4 times a week i take at least 4 or 5 guns and probably a thousand rounds of ammo. If i had to clean every gun every time i went to the range id be up all night and would never catch up. Ive got a slug of custom guns some worth alot of money but basically there all tools and i dont sweat the small stuff. Why a guy cleans a barrel on a handgun is beyond me anyway. Ive never seen one rust on the inside. The lube fouling or copper fouling prevents this. So why run a metallic brush back and forth down your barrel and even take a remote chance your going to do damage. Allways seemed a little anal to me.
blue lives matter

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 02:32:28 AM »
Same deal as Lloyd. My guns get adequate attention to keep them running, but no way do I take the time to clean each one every time I shoot it. I just shoot too many guns too frequently for that! I believe more harm than good comes from over zealous cleaning.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 04:26:23 AM »
I don't get to go shooting all that much and clean them every time. I guess if i shot as much as Lloyd or Graybeard I'd probably feel the same way they do.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline warrior1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 09:14:10 AM »
i can see their point also, how do you guys stay on top of your ammo requirements?
i may get two trips a week tops,but i only shoot about 250+ rounds per a trip. dan
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 01:13:54 AM »
3 casting pots a star sizer, 6 dillon presses and a depleted credit card and an understanding wife.
i can see their point also, how do you guys stay on top of your ammo requirements?
i may get two trips a week tops,but i only shoot about 250+ rounds per a trip. dan
blue lives matter

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 01:21:10 AM »
Sounds like your procedure is working for you, why would you want to change?
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
I clean mine and use a Lewis Lead Remover if needed.  I used to be more casual about cleaning but left a Ruger Bisley bore unattended after a little shooting and a few months later found pitting.  I was in a very damp climate close to saltwater and I had to be very discrete with my handgun so I couldn't pull it out and clean it or wipe it down after an outing.  I think burned powder granules left in the bore accumulated moisture as the bore looked just like after a session of shooting 4227 powder.  But it sure was a bummer to replace the barrel at a cost equal to the original purchase price plus a 5 month wait.  I had to replace the barrel as the accuracy went to pot - that's what got me looking down the bore to discover the problem.

Now I prefer the more resistant stainless guns and I carefully clean the bores of my blued guns after a round of shooting.

Lloyd you married very well indeed. Give her a big hug for understanding.  I did pretty well in that regard too.

cheers.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 01:48:10 AM »
you guys have to understand that when i go to the range which is about 3 to 4 times a week i take at least 4 or 5 guns and probably a thousand rounds of ammo. If i had to clean every gun every time i went to the range id be up all night and would never catch up. Ive got a slug of custom guns some worth alot of money but basically there all tools and i dont sweat the small stuff. Why a guy cleans a barrel on a handgun is beyond me anyway. Ive never seen one rust on the inside. The lube fouling or copper fouling prevents this. So why run a metallic brush back and forth down your barrel and even take a remote chance your going to do damage. Allways seemed a little anal to me.

I would love to get up your way for that Memorial Shoot this year Lloyd but I am getting punier by the week with the Chemo...perhaps I can find a driver?
I know that you are in good company on the cleaning thing as even Veral Smith will admit to rarely, if ever, running a solvent patch down the bore. We still have to watch for the high humidity areas, especially around here. I had a guy who was quite upset with me cause the .38 specials that I loaded for him were too hot (NOT).
It turned out that the Revolver he was using had rusty pits in the cylinders that were preventing the extraction of the brass. :o :o I Told Him...Doug, lets bury that revolver right here right now before it gets someone hurt. ;D ;D ;D
In the mean time, I shall always keep my guns cleaned & Lubed.

Offline gundownunder

Re: revolver cleaning
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 03:32:07 AM »
I always give mine a wipe over with one of them really nice smelling yellow cloths, that's all the .22 rifle gets till it complains. The 357 rifle gets a Hoppe's patch about every 100 rounds and the single six revolver gets swabbed and scrubbed after every shoot because it builds up a bit of crud, and leads up a LOT if I use bullets without a copper coat on them. 

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 06:00:18 AM »
I clean the guns I use on a regular basis, particularly after being exposed to moister.  The other guns (safe queens) get a through cleaning  (mostly oiling) yearly, usually in late January, or right after the close of deer season.  This started several years ago after removing a prized .22 Marlin 39A Golden Mountie,  (The gun was special because it was a first wedding anniversary present from my wife in 1959.)  and finding the gun coated with rust and with slight pitting on the receiver.

I built a cleaning tank out of a 12 inch diameter, 60 inch long piece of PVC, capping both ends, then cutting about a quarter off length ways to form a vat.  I fill the vat with 4 gallons of PD680 (cleaning solvent), and add 3-4 cans of automatic transmission fluid, I then remove all the grips from all my hand guns and let then soak over night in the mixture, the next day I take them out and stand them barrel end down in another vat fixed with dowel rods that insert into the barrel to hold them, and allow the excess oil to drain off.  I then blow them off with compressed air (using a filter system to eliminate moister), apply a light coat of oil, put them back in their box or case, and back into the safe.  I do the long guns the same way, except I remove stocks and scopes before the metal goes in the vat, this is only for the safe queens since removing the scope and stock requires zeroing the gun again.  This takes a lot of time and effort, but it gives me something to do after deer season while it is still too cold to do much else.  I also recommend a barrier paper or gun sock be used on those that don't get used or handled often.

Another thing that I do, I keep a shop rag lightly coated with Breakfree a plastic zip lock bag in the gun case of all the guns I use on a frequent basis, after each use the gun is wiped down before going back in it's case.  Some of the things I do may seen a little extreme, but I look at them as cheap insurance for my investment.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 06:03:21 AM »
I keep an oiled rag in the case of all my guns also. I think it's a good practice and not extreme at all.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 08:04:31 AM »
sorry to here about your problems pal. You will be at the top of my prayer list this week.

I would love to get up your way for that Memorial Shoot this year Lloyd but I am getting punier by the week with the Chemo...perhaps I can find a driver?
I know that you are in good company on the cleaning thing as even Veral Smith will admit to rarely, if ever, running a solvent patch down the bore. We still have to watch for the high humidity areas, especially around here. I had a guy who was quite upset with me cause the .38 specials that I loaded for him were too hot (NOT).
It turned out that the Revolver he was using had rusty pits in the cylinders that were preventing the extraction of the brass. :o :o I Told Him...Doug, lets bury that revolver right here right now before it gets someone hurt. ;D ;D ;D
In the mean time, I shall always keep my guns cleaned & Lubed.
blue lives matter

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 08:16:27 AM »
GEE ! no one else puts them in the dish washer ?
just kidding , clean mine when they get real dirty , blue guns more than SS .
Think about it - you clean a gun then before you do any serious shooting you fire a fouling shot . Why not start with a dirty bbl. and not waste a round ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 01:56:49 AM »
The good part is that the powder and primers are not corrosive. The blued guns are more susceptible to rust because of the carbon steel coupled with rapid temp change or high humidity conditions and or neglect but you guys knew that already. We got a little lazy some years down the road and the Manufactures made it a bit easier for us by coming out with stainless models and synthetic stocks.
For those of us who still shoot the blk-pwder arms, careful cleaning is still very much in order cause you want your firearm to be dependable during the hunting season.

I don't think that we really do have to clean so much anymore and this PM (preventive maintenance) thing might be more of a physcological advantage? this is probably the same devil that makes us clean and uniform those primer pockets along with the flasholes and to trim those straight walls to the same lenght?
At any rate, it does provide great satisfaction to myself that a 2" steel plate @ 50yds is very doable with a mass produced, out of the box revolver. This cleaning, load tailoring, and overall care may prove to be strictly physcological but it seems to pay off for me. In short, I reallly do love those six guns and this may very well be 2/3rds of it. If you do like it, seems that you can do well at it. Doesn't really matter if it is playing pool, golf, or even shooting baskets.

Good mileage out of this thread...yes?
  ::) ;D

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 10:46:49 PM »
I clean any of my guns, what I call ,the lazy mans way. Weather its a revolver, semi auto, or rifle. I wipe it down with a old sweatshirt piece of material that has the thick nap on one side.(The one I have has been impregnated with,G96,Tri-flow,Rem-Oil,Tetra, and possibly a couple others) I run a patch/jag down the barrel, with Kroil. Then I let it sit for a day,(overnight). Then I push a bore brush down the barrel, making sure I don't reverse the direction of the bristle's, till after it's cleared the barrel. That way, less likely to scratch the barrel. Do that a couple times, clean patch it, oil it down, and I'm done!! gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 12:20:22 AM »
I'm much more with Lloyd and Graybeard when it comes to handgun cleaning.  I just about run then until they start slowing down and then clean them and run them again.  I have made a habit of cleaning them right there at the shooting bench before I leave.  Whether it is rifle, pistol, revolver or shotgun doesn't matter, they get cleaned and ready to rock again before I load them up and put them back where they belong. 

At least it isn't as much a problem for me as it is for those guys who have the 7 or 8 shooters in 357 or who bring more guns to the range than I do.  I can certainly be thankful for that, and Hoppes #9.  Mikey.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 02:39:49 AM »
From the many service rifles I've shot and owned, I've found you don't try to fix what ain't broke. Shoot it till it starts to shudder and then clean it, sparingly! That said, of course if you know going to have to stand inspection tomorrow, pass the inspection? RHIP, those in charge have far more time than you or I to think of unpleasant things for you to do!
Any abrasive you use to clean your treasures, is actually removing metal from the gun? Mothers, Semi Chrome, Butches Bore Paste and of course chemicals aren't doing it any good either.
Remember your high school physics class?
AF&AM #294

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 04:20:25 AM »
I used to clean mine severely after every shoot, because of my USAF training and living in Florida.  A few years ago I visited with my cousins, who had been through D day and the Battle of the Bulge in WW2.  They dug out their guns and their war trophies, they were a little oily, but hadn't been cleaned in years.  They get an occasional firing.  When questioned they both stated; "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  I don't clean near as much as I used to, I enjoy more range time and less cleaning time.  All my guns still shoot where I point them, and function like they are supposed to.

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 07:40:49 AM »
Good friend of mine took the, if it isn't broke, don't fix it approach. Trouble is, half way thru our state silihouette match, which is always an 80 round plus shoot-offs, His Dan Wesson .357SM started throwing bullets everywhere. He is/was an INT. class shooter, had shot several perfect score's with the gun, in standard 40 round match's. Didn't even make 70. I believe he ended up with a 66 or 68. Didn't even place in the top 10 in scoring.
When he got home, finally decided to run some patch's and brush's down the barrel. He told me he got strips of copper out of the barrel after 2 days of patching and brushing. If I'm going to miss a target, it's because I missed, not because I was to lazy to clean my gun. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 08:35:41 AM »
Why would any international class shooter run a brush through his bore, that much, instead of applying 7.62 Sweets to get the copper out?
AF&AM #294

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 12:01:05 PM »
  Unless the built up lead is a obstruction or accuracy problem I would not worry about it. I don't think I have ever pushed a brush through the bore of a handgun. I still use the wet patch/dry patch method, even for rifles. I haven't had any problems. I would recommend blowing some Rem-oil through your hand window every so often and some in your lock work about once a year (Cock halfway and spray into the frame) that way parts are coated. How much can the hard cast bullets be leading? I shoot swaged lead all the time and get no leading. And these are Bill Jordan Loads, 158gr. SWC at over 1575fps.

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 08:07:53 AM »
He never ran a brush down the barrel.Or use any solvent. Just wipe down the outside, and keep shooting. My theory has always been, if running a brass brush(soft metal) down the barrel of a gun(hardened steel) scratches the barrel, then what is the bullet doing to the barrel, when you shoot it. The bullet obchurates, putting alot more pressure on the side of the barrel than any brush, plus the heat from the powder burning. If that brass brush hurts the barrel, ain't much of a barrel!!
Talked with a few of the gunsmiths at Camp Perry over the years. None of them could attribute any damage to the barrel from cleaning. Muzzle crown damage yes, not internal scratching. Even lack of cleaning, pitting being the most common.  Just my .02.  gypsyman