Author Topic: It's Official: XM8 Replaces The M16  (Read 756 times)

Offline BamBams

• Trade Count: (0)
It's Official: XM8 Replaces The M16
« on: August 10, 2004, 09:45:38 AM »
It looks similar to the Beretta Storm - which incidently, I'd LOVE TO HAVE in 45acp!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,128512,00.html
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 10:39:37 AM »
Any idea what caliber the XM-8 will be using?
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline BamBams

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 11:00:01 AM »
Awhile back, I heard someone say it was going to be 6.8mm.  If that's the case, then it's a little under 30 caliber right?

Found some better photos of it:

http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/articles/XM8_Rifle.asp
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline BamBams

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 11:16:21 AM »
Well, I guess not!  Now I'm reading that it's 5.56!  Some people think more about saving money than lives - pretty sad.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 11:27:48 AM »
From reading the article, the caliber is still unsettled. Could stay the 5.56 Nato, could be the experimental 6.8 SPC. I'd bet on staying with the .223 just because of the Nato hassles.

The 6.8 SPC is a shortened .30 Remington case necked down to .277. Ballistics approximate that of the old and much beloved .250 Savage. From memory, it shoots a 110 grain bullet at 2700 fps, but I could be off by 10 grains and 100 fps. The 6.8 SPC can be made to work in the M 16 so it should not be a problem to chamber the new gun to it.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 11:37:21 AM »
So, it looks like we just have to wait and see.   Thanks gentlemen for the response.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 11:55:58 AM »
Quote from: Leftoverdj
From reading the article, the caliber is still unsettled. Could stay the 5.56 Nato, could be the experimental 6.8 SPC. I'd bet on staying with the .223 just because of the Nato hassles.

The 6.8 SPC is a shortened .30 Remington case necked down to .277. Ballistics approximate that of the old and much beloved .250 Savage. From memory, it shoots a 110 grain bullet at 2700 fps, but I could be off by 10 grains and 100 fps. The 6.8 SPC can be made to work in the M 16 so it should not be a problem to chamber the new gun to it.

Since we seem to do all the damn fighting why should we worry about NATO hassles. Also if the new round would be a superior round NATO would probably copy it as they did with the 308 or to be correct for lefty 762 NATO or the 5.56
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline crow_waxer

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 09:52:24 AM »
that kinda suprises me, coz we didn't her nothing about getting the new XM8 or nothing.  we was told we are going to get issued a M-16A4.  just has different hand guards, and i think the barrel is a tad different too, i think it is a little heavier, ain't to sure.
any who, i hope i don't get that thing, it is ugly as can be, like something the Terminator would use.
"Keep your stick on the ice"

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 12:56:22 PM »
Quote from: crow_waxer
i hope i don't get that thing, it is ugly as can be, like something the Terminator would use.
:-D  :)  :)  :-D
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 12:59:20 PM »
Does anyone know who or what company is going to make this new rifle? I would surely hope it would be an American company to keep the jobs here. I am getting tired of seeing our money and jobs going overseas and then we get our own money used against us. :?
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2004, 01:55:54 PM »
Any word on when "civilianized" versions of this firearm will be available and what the expected cost might be?

Seems that if the military is getting a new tool, it's only right that it ought to be available to the militia as well.
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2004, 02:08:04 PM »
Fwiedner,

I hope the “militia” doesn’t hold it’s breath while waiting.   I bet it will be a very long wait.

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 04:21:48 PM »
Why they don't go back to .45acp and .308 is a mystery........that's what the warriors want :roll:
That Sound You Hear In The Woods While Hunting  Is Deer Laughing

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2004, 04:26:09 PM »
Quote from: tubbythetuba
Why they don't go back to .45acp and .308 is a mystery........that's what the warriors want :roll:

C'mon Tubby, everybody knows it's because girls can't handle big guns.

:wink:
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2004, 04:37:10 PM »
Quote from: FWiedner
Quote from: tubbythetuba

C'mon Tubby, everybody knows it's because girls can't handle big guns.

:wink:

To my somewhat small hands, a Glock 36 or full size 1911 is easier than that big double stack handle of the M92. I don't care what "they" say.......45s don't kick...they might move a bit, but not painfully so.....but then, my first centerfire handgun experience was my SBH...that one tended to put recoil in perspective...that was an eye opener after various .22s :eek: What they need is BFRs in 45-70 :twisted:

Offline BamBams

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2004, 06:18:50 PM »
Tubby is right about the recoil of the 45acp.  I got into it with a guy at the gun shop one day because he thought his wife couldn't handle the recoil of anything more than a .38special.  I finally had to take him in the back and let him shoot my carry gun -- Kimber 1911.  Anyway, the 38special kicked harder than my .45acp.

It's pretty darn scary how these politicians and judges can get together and totally stifle the free speech of any group, or class of people, that they choose.  If I understand things correctly, we won't be seeing any more press releases from Swift Veteran's either pretty soon because of this law. What's even scarier though, is that the majority of Americans don't even understand what the heck has happened, and they probably wouldn't care even if they did.  Now THAT scares me!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2004, 06:29:03 PM »
Quote from: BamBams
Tubby is right about the recoil of the 45acp.  I got into it with a guy at the gun shop one day because he thought his wife couldn't handle the recoil of anything more than a .38special.  I finally had to take him in the back and let him shoot my carry gun -- Kimber 1911.  Anyway, the 38special kicked harder than my .45acp.

It's pretty darn scary how these politicians and judges can get together and totally stifle the free speech of any group, or class of people, that they choose.  If I understand things correctly, we won't be seeing any more press releases from Swift Veteran's either pretty soon because of this law. What's even scarier though, is that the majority of Americans don't even understand what the heck has happened, and they probably wouldn't care even if they did.  Now THAT scares me!

My special friend, L***, enjoyed shooting the .41. She went thru about half a box and it wasn't bothering her at all.....she's real small.....then she got a little lax and got a third "eye" in the middle of her forehead :roll: Too bad, she sticks with the SingleSix and the little Browning .22 rifle now......

Offline BamBams

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2004, 06:41:10 PM »
I hear ya!  Both my girls, age 14, shoot nothing other than .45acp in a handgun.  They can shoot all day, and we have an ongoing contest.  The first daughter to outshoot Daddy gets $25.00.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2004, 07:17:59 AM »
What they need is BFRs in 45-70

Got my hands on a pair of these out in NM last summer.

O M G.

I'd own one now but I just can't come up with a good enough excuse.

I'd have to claim that as one EXCELLENT hand-gunning experience.