Author Topic: What's it worth  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Varminter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
What's it worth
« on: August 06, 2004, 09:12:57 AM »
I'm looking at a H&R handi rifle chambered in 223 rem. It has a synthetic stock set and a bull barrel. There is a Tasco world class 4-16-50 mounted on it. The package deal is the gun, the scope, a hard case, and two boxes of winchester ballistic silvertip ammunition for $175.

IS IT WORTH IT

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
What's it worth
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 10:32:04 AM »
nope sounds like a total rip-off maybe  you should tell me where it is so i can go buy it so that nobody else get such a miserable deal.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
What's it worth
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 01:42:12 PM »
If it's in good shape it's a very good deal....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
What's it worth
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 03:06:42 PM »
Jump on it before someone else does!
Don

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
What's it worth
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 04:01:59 PM »
Where bouts did you say it was :D
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
What's it worth
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 07:56:59 AM »
It sounded like a good deal but I'm to the whole handi rifle bit, so I wasn't really for sure. Thanks for clearing that up. The guy that's selling it is letting his brother have first dibs. But if he don't take it, it's mine.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
What's it worth
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2004, 03:02:15 PM »
Varminter,
  I see your from eastern Tenn. That's one of my favorite spots in the U.S. I love the Smoky Mt. area.
Don

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
What's it worth
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 04:18:40 AM »
You can't beat the mountains around these parts. The climate is great all year and when huntin season rolls around (end of the month) everybody is ready for it. The varmint hunting is awesome all year long but especially in the fall when the TWRA drops the level of lake where I live. On the lake bottoms you can get good 500 yard shots, if you got the gun to do it with. Never been to Penn. though might go one day but for now I'm satisfied where I'm at Tenn.

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
What's it worth
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 09:50:44 AM »
OK this didn't make sense to me. The description I gave at the beginning of the post wrong. But it came straight from the guy that owned it. Went to look at the gun and it had a wood stock, No hard case, and he had one box winchester hollow points and a box of Hornady V-max 223. Is the gun still worth $175 or should I try to negotiate.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
What's it worth
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 10:03:28 AM »
Around here, a new .223 Handi with the standard barrel/wood stock is $220, FWIW.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
What's it worth
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2004, 10:05:35 AM »
Negotiate, It's not as he offered it. Sit down with him and together subtract the value of the stuff that is not there as is was described (either new, used or somwhere in between value). Come to an agreed upon value and go from there....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
What's it worth
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2004, 10:23:28 AM »
He let me shoot it earlier today and it's accurate. I busted a coke can at 300 yards. It has the bull barrel. we are negotiating as I type over the phone.

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
What's it worth
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2004, 10:33:04 AM »
I just bought the gun for $125.  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :sniper:

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
What's it worth
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2004, 11:01:00 AM »
Well worth it!!! If you got it for $150 you stole it so you did good!!!....<><.... :grin:

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
What's it worth
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2004, 11:17:00 AM »
Thanks. Now I just have to get another barrel to hunt deer with before season opens.  I'm thinkin bout a 7mm-08 rem. MSP Ret do you have any input on this cartridge? Or maybe the 280 rem. barrel. I have narrowed it down to those 2. later on I might get the 38-55 win. barrel but not before season opens does anyone no anything thing about it. Barrel life, recoil, etc.

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
What's it worth
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2004, 11:27:06 AM »
Get the 7mm-08. I have one and it shoots below MOA at 50 to 60 yards with 140 grain corlocts. The 280 is nice but I do not care for the extra 4 inches of barrel. My 7mm-08 wears synthetic stock and forearm and is a dream to carry.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
What's it worth
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2004, 11:39:33 AM »
Thanks. That was the only draw back I found on the 280 barrel was the length.  Do you have any input on the 38-55?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
What's it worth
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2004, 11:43:49 AM »
Varminter, I have a .280 and although I don't have a 7mm-08 barrel for my H&R's I do have a 7x57 which is quite similar, the 7mm-08 is in fact a bit flatter shooting. I also have a 7mm-08 in a BLR. I agree with BBF, I would get the 7mm-08 over the .280, especially for your area. I have walked those hills and woods and think the 7mm-08 would be ideal. Much easier on the shoulder, flat shooting and plenty of power for the deer and hogs you might encounter. It is an extremely versatile caliber and coupled with the Handi's accuracy, light weight and short overall length it makes and ideal carry gun, one you can easily walk all day carrying....<><.... :grin:

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
What's it worth
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2004, 12:10:21 PM »
sorry but I'm new to all of these wildcat calibers if that is what a 7x57 is. Please go into further detail on this cartridge and if you have it chambered in a H&R barrel and where you got it.

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
What's it worth
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2004, 12:22:37 PM »
7x57 Mauser is the 2nd oldest cartridge mentioned on this thread after the 38-55. It was discontinued in H&R/NEF a year or two ago. It's about halfway between a 7mm-08 and a 280 Remington in capacity. The 38-55 has a 28" barrel, so if you think a 280 is too long...
I like having a 26" barrel on a gun that's no longer than a 22" bolt action.

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
What's it worth
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2004, 04:20:32 AM »
MSP, does the serial # on your handi rifle start with SB-2 or does it just say it somewhere on the gun its self. I was lookin at mine and it doesn't say SB-2 on it but it does have the words Handi Rifle printed on it. Does this mean I can't get anymore barrels for it or do I just need to call NEF? Any info you can give is much appreciated. Thanks again.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
What's it worth
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2004, 05:14:44 AM »
Varminter, The indicator SB1 or SB2 is printed on the barrels. Check your serial number and if it starts with the letter "N" or above you should be able to get the so called "high intensity" barrels fitted to it. Check the FAQ section of this centerfire section for info on serial numbers. It has to have been made after the NEF takeover for them to fit any barrels at all at the factory, then the serial number will indicate if they will fit only shotgun and low pressure barrels or any barrel they make to your reciever (including the high pressure barrels)...any other questions post them and we will try to help you out with answers...you may have to e-mail or call the company if all else fails but they are very good at giving the info, hope this helped....<><.... :grin: