Author Topic: 22" or 24" Bull Barrel for H&R  (Read 914 times)

Offline lanole

• Trade Count: (0)
22" or 24" Bull Barrel for H&R
« on: August 16, 2004, 03:59:51 PM »
I am intersted in buying a new H&R in 223.  What is the difference in accuracy between a 22" and a 24" barrel (I do handloads).  They are about $45.00 apart in price.  Are the two extra inches worth the $45 extra dollars?  I know this sounds trivial, but I am paying my and my wife's way through college right now, plus we have a baby boy coming in December.  Right now the budget is kinda tight.  Just wanted some opinions.  Thanks.  Great forum by the way.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
22" or 24" Bull Barrel for H&
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 04:13:35 PM »
In a word, are the 2 extra inches of barrel length wotrh the extra $45.00, especially in your situation?...............NO!!.............I'll try to research a website and article on .223 barrel length and add it to this post...sit tight....<><.... :grin:
lanole, since you are new here you may not understand this but I may not be able to post the full and correct e-address to the site which may help you. I will however try, it is www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html, if you cannot read it correctly send me an e-mail to armartin1@comcast.net and I will forward the address to you. This site prohibits the use of the name used in the e-address of interest to you....<><.... :grin:
Also you might try a search with yahoo or google for ".223 barrel length velocity" and look for a study of barrel length vs. accuracy and velocity in the .223, that is the article I am referring to, it is very informative. Many times the shorter barrel is stiffer and therefore with the newer faster burning powders used in small diameter bullets a short barrel is as or more accurate than a longer one, but like life, everything is a trade off...
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 05:08:51 PM »
If you click on the *****link it will open in a new window, remove the  , at the end of the URL in the address window and hit enter, it will then work.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 05:17:45 PM »
Thanks quickdtoo, ....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
Re: 22" or 24" Bull Barrel for H&R
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 05:33:17 PM »
Quote from: lanole
Are the two extra inches worth the $45 extra dollars?

That depends, are you going to buy the cheap model and then spend $80 on laminated stocks for it later? The 24" Ultra Varmint has laminated, checkered stocks, and they actually polish the barrel before they blue it. If you already had the gun and were just buying the barrel, the 22" standard barrel is $82, the 24" bull is $100, and the 22" bull somewhere in between.
I'd suggest that you download the catalog at www.hr1871.com and see what the different models look like. There is also a "survivor" model that comes with a quasi-thumbhole stock and 22" bull barrel for the price of the regular synthetic model. BTW, the 24" barrel is very heavy, well over four pounds for the barrel alone.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 06:53:42 PM »
In a word...spend the $45 dollars now and save on buying the stock and forearm later...I went the Survivor route on my 308,with it's plastic stock and store arm...and didn't like it at all......This time I've ordered the Ultra with the laminated cinnamon stock on it...and like Mitch said...get a barrel that's polished,thery look a whole lot better......and since your Handloading...it won't make a real big difference in velocity with factory loads..but it's possible that it can make a difference with handloads...not a lot...but some...and as far as accuracy goes...the shorter stiffer barrels don't always make them more accurate...a-lot of times they do...but not always...each rifle will shot differently...and some are more accurate than others...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline lanole

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 11:08:32 AM »
I'm not real sure where the stock that comes on the gun has anything to do with the barrel itself.  Whichever I decide to buy, I planned on discarding whatever stock came with it anyway in favor of the new Choate stock set.  I'm more into function over form and looks.  I just wasn't sure whether the 2" in barrel length made a real difference in the overall performance of the gun.  How does a "polished" barrel affect accuracy?  Thanks again for all the help.  I apologize for my ignorance on the subject.

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 12:13:26 PM »
Accuracy is hit or miss with these barrels regardless if its 22 or 24" heavy barrel or standard.  You could get a good or bad barrel in any configuration.  Luckily the 223 seems to be one of the better calibers in the H&R line and accuracy seems to be pretty good in most barrels.  The standard contour barrel in 223 is almost as heavy as many bull barrels and the heavy models are even heavier.  If weight is a consideration you may be better served with a shorter standard weight barrel.  As far as polishing the barrel before blueing it makes the finish appear deeper and more uniform its totaly cosmetic and will have no affect on accuracy.  If you plan on installing the Choate stock set then I'd save the money up front and buy the cheaper standard handi rifle with 22" barrel.  Use the $$ you saved toward purchasing your stocks.