Author Topic: rossi v. NEF  (Read 1056 times)

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
rossi v. NEF
« on: August 12, 2004, 11:06:47 AM »
i went to kmart today to buy a rossi 12 gauge. i have an NEF already, in 20 gauge, and i wanted to have a 12 on hand as well. i like guns a lot and i thought i would add a new make to my safe. no go. the rossi was so cheaply made and so ugly i couldnt make myself buy it.

i know some will assume i am biased toward nef but i wasnt. you know thta feeling you get when youre holding a gun you are about to buy? i couldnt even make myself find ANYTHING nice about it to feel positive about. i thanked the guy and put it back.

the wood was dull and ugly, finished badly, with sandpaper marks in it...it didnt meet the metal well at all...gaps. the buttplate didnt even fit, it stuck out from the edge of the stock, leaving a ridge that you could catch on your clothes when mounting it to fire.
the barrel was VERY plain, and the bead on the end looked like a small BB someone glued on. no post, no brass look, nothing. the metal on this gun looked like something i could do in metal shop in high school, it was square and unfinished in some ways. i really wanted to add a new make to my safe but that isnt going to be the one. i dont know if i would have even felt safe firing it.

so back to the drawing board. i have now narrowed it down to the topper deluxe classic. i like it as well but now i get to wait until NEF feels like they should release it. :(
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline jgalar

• Trade Count: (0)
rossi v. NEF
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 05:20:13 PM »
Don't know much about them, but you may want to check on a Russian gun...http://www.eaacorp.com/firearms/longguns/singlebarrel/index.shtml

Offline Rogmatt

• Contributor
rossi v. NEF
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 01:08:08 AM »
I have had Rossi  and NEF.  The only complaint I have a bout the Rossi is the safety switch on the side of the reciever is made of pot metal, and can brake in half if you put too much pressure on it.  My sons broke within the first few weeks we had it. Sent it back to rossi and to their credit, they did fix it. We traded the gun after that.

Offline BC73

rossi v. NEF
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 01:20:55 AM »
I usually stick with more high end price guns because the old saying "you get what you pay for" However I have an attraction to the H&R's and think they are GREAT shotguns not only for the price but for their tradition, reliabilty, Thats something I think some of the other manufacturers havent lived up to, theyre cheap is just cheap! And im a little disapointed in the Chinese pump that H&R/NEF is gonna produce, I won't buy it even for $50, I'll stick with a US 870 and keep the money home, I hope H&R/NEF doesn't start making their singles in China, that will be it for me and many others too.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
rossi v. NEF
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 02:59:18 AM »
I agree BC, if they ever do start to make the Handi's and Sportsters in China I am gone and will deal in and shoot their older made in the USA guns only....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
rossi v. NEF
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 03:48:00 AM »
I have a Rossi 357 mag that I maxed. I like it. The NEF/H&R guns are better quality. There is no doubt about that. The Rossi though is only 5 1/2 lbs and feels like a good walking woods rifle. The action on mine is not sloppy like some people have noticed on others. Seems like it is going to be just as accurate as my NEF 357 max barrel (that I sold). The gun only cost me like 150.00 so I will not be upset if it gets wet, dinged up, or I happen to drop it or something. But I would be a little upset if it happened to me NEF/H&R. Now would I buy another Rossi. Probally not. I just wanted a extra 357 max and the Rossi was available at the time. Personally I would not buy there shotgun because they are to light and the quality Pardner that H&R makes is not that much more. Just my 2 cents

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
rossi v. NEF
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 06:49:40 AM »
I own a Rossi 20ga/223 combo and I have to say I don't see what all the fuss is about. It shoots each and every time I pull the trigger.  The empty shell is extracted every time for me to simply pluck it from the chamber. It is an inexpensive but reliable gun.
 Is it the same quality as a H&R/NEF? No. But then H&R is not the same quality as a T/C Encore, which is not the same quality as a Ruger #1.
So there you have it. If a gun will do what you expect it to do isn't that the true test of a firearm?
Will I buy a Rossi over a NEF? Only if money is an issue at the time I want a new gun. I like NEF guns and to me it is a perfect little utility gun. But it is not some sort of idol we should worship and cast aspersions at other guns. OOPS, I'm gonna be preaching in a minute :grin:  I'll just say "to each his own."

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
rossi v. NEF
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 07:46:34 AM »
That is right ''to each is own'' I'll tell you something, if money did not mater I would have a slew of Ruger #1's :wink: but since money does matter I'll buy the inexpesive stuff.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
rossi v. NEF
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 07:56:17 AM »
I know that all of the NEF/H&R guns are manufactured in the US except for the Pardner Pump...Where are the Rossi guns manufactured?  I try to keep my spending in the US when possible and practical.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline gwhilikerz

• A Real Regular
rossi v. NEF
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 10:56:28 AM »
I thought we were discussing the quality of certain guns not flag waving. But you are right about buying American, it is a factor in a lot of purchases that I make. Some however are made on a more economic level than patriotism. I think even the US military chose a foreign gun maker when they changed from the wonderful Colt model 1911. It is a sign of the times I suppose but here I sit at a computer that is made up of both domestic and foreign parts. and not one stitch of clothing I have on is made in America. I own an American car brand that was assembled in Canada. That's sad but true.
  Now I would be very happy indeed if we just put a fence around this wonderful country and made everything we need or want right here.
I don't mean to offend anyone, but I have served this country honorably because I believe in America and freedom. That freedom also gives me the right to spend my money wherever and however I please.  I own a Rossi rifle/shotgun, a Rossi 38 Special is my carry gun at the moment. I also have several NEF and Marlins. And there is a beat up old Romanian SKS standing guard in the bedroom(on my wife's side of the bed :grin: )

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
rossi v. NEF
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2004, 12:55:30 PM »
look i didnt mean to start a war here guys. i was just letting new guys know if theyre looking for an afforable shotgun, they should look elsewhere than the Rossi.

i am of the mind that we as americans have done "just enough" for a long time. i want to see the high levels of productivity and the ingenuity and competitive spirit again. and the only way to get that back is through competition and a free market. so if toyota makes the best truck, you should buy it. youd be doing the USA a favor....showing them what you want so they can re-tool and compete. same goes for guns. i am not in favor of fencing us in, because thats when we stagnate and do just enough to get by again.

after reading my post i decided i wasnt clear enough. i am NOT in favor of supporting countries like china, and i think in cases like that it would be best to buy american regardless of the quality. also, i am a patriot of the highest order and always have been. i just think we need to challenge ourselves a little more.
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline gwhilikerz

• A Real Regular
rossi v. NEF
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2004, 02:01:33 PM »
mjbGalt those wonderful Toyota (tundra) trucks are being made in Indiana. So your patriotism is not in jeopardy :lol:  These days it seems you must choose between buying an American brand made in another country, thereby supporting an American company but maybe not an American worker; or buying a foeign brand import which is made in America, thereby supporting a foreign company and possibly an American worker.  OOOH my head hurts!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
rossi v. NEF
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2004, 12:47:22 PM »
I haved solved all of these problems by making all that I consume myself in the garage out back. Still haven't quite got the hang of conver6ting the trees into toilet paper yet. Don't I wish that was true. I've never owned a Rossi but the ones I've handle seemed like "cheap" guns, not inexpensive guns. I've heard enough bad crap about them that I don't think the cost savings is worth it. I'm not sure how I feel about buying Brazilian guns? I know if you buy canned corn beef it all seems to come from brazil.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline gwhilikerz

• A Real Regular
rossi v. NEF
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2004, 02:14:39 PM »
LOL Markus I'm not real sure how I feel about buying Brazilian guns either. But the Mom and Pop gunshop I frequent have them in stock and I believe in supporting Mom and Pop. Besides, I don't think that Brazil has been at war with us, yet.  Can't say the same thing for the Chinese, Germans, Japanese, Italians, some Koreans. And I'm still not sure about the French :grin: