Author Topic: Is the 260 Remington...  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Donna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
Is the 260 Remington...
« on: May 20, 2004, 02:40:36 PM »
Hello all,

Is the 260 Remington still considered a wildcat or not? I know Remington is making brass for it but I’m not sure about anyone else, I have not seen anyone else making it but I might have missed it. Very few of my reloading recourses even list that cartridge, Hodgdon, Vihtavuori, and Lee are the only ones that I have that do.

Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
Is the 260 Remington...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 02:09:00 AM »
Hi Donna,
  Remington is still producing loaded ammunition for the 260 ( last time I looked a couple mos. ago).
I don't know if they still have a production firearm or not.  But as long as there is factory ammo available, it isn't considered a wildcat. As for reloading data, I'm not much help there. I use primarily Hodgdon or Alliant powders. Alliant also has data on the .260. I bought a 260 in a Striker for, well just because (didn't really need it). I haven't done load work with it yet , but seem quite accurate with Rem's factory ammo. When I do get around to hand loads, 125 NP's will be my first choice for deer.

On

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Is the 260 Remington...
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 07:32:36 AM »
Hi Donna:  have to agree with onesonek on the issue of the 260 being or still considered a wildcat.  I think once a major manufacturer begins manufacturing firearms and ammunition in that caliber then it is no longer considered a wildcat.

About the lack of loading data - you are finding yourself in the same boat a lot of folks are with that caliber - there is just not a lot of reloading data for it but, you may find acceptable data under the 6.5-08 cartidge - I think they are about the same if not the same and this cartridge has been used for a while as a long range target round.  

Also, I don't know if Rick Jamison reported on the 260 or not but he would also be a good source to check.  But did you say that your VV data lists that cartridge - that's good powder, I always have good luck with it.

HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Donna

• Contributor
Is the 260 Remington...
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 01:05:19 AM »
Thanks guys.

Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline jhm

Is the 260 Remington...
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 03:33:33 PM »
Donna :  Sierra sent me the loading sata they had when it first came out I have it in the shop somewhere filled away if you need they will send it to you if not I will look into finding and will copy for you. :D    JIM

Offline Joe Kool

• Avid Poster
Is the 260 Remington...
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 01:33:20 PM »
Donna, Handloader Magazine#190, December 1997, has a Pet Loads, by Ken Waters. The article cover bullets weights from 120 to 160 gr. There is also an article with a few loads, in Handloader #228, April-May 2004. If you can't find these issues, I can scan the articles and email them to you.
Of all the rifles I own the 260 is the cartridge I like the most. For most whitetail deer hunting here in PA, the 260 is the  best all around cartridge I've found. I have heavy brush calibers and screaming long range cartridges, but the 260 will cover 90% of my hunting needs. The light recoil is pleasant and helps to make pinpoint shot placement. I've been using the 140 gr Hornady Spire Point, and it works very well. The killing power seems far beyond what the paper ballistics show. The longest shot I made was a lung shot on a doe, at about 350 yds. It dropped in it's tracks. I'm going to try the 129 gr. SST Hornady on deer this coming season.
I also use the 260 for varmint hunting. The Hornady 95 gr. V-Max, and Hodgdon Benchmark makes a great load. Pressure is near max, in my barrel, but the accurracy is great. Last spring I shot a five shot group at a 100 yds. that measured .370 inch.  The 95 gr V-Max has a high ballistic coefficient (.365) and will keep right up to a 22-250, even though it starts out 500 fps. slower. But with the 22-250 is a 50 gr. bullet, the 260 is a 95 gr bullet. The hit of the 95 gr. V-Max at 500 yds. is a lot more then a 50 gr bullet. The 260 a very flexible cartridge, being able to use bullets from 85 to 160 grs., making it useful for critters from ground hogs to moose.  8)

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Is the 260 Remington...
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2004, 03:32:31 PM »
Hi all, I have a Browning A bolt stainless/synthetic in .260. I would like to know the factory length of this cartridge using 120 and 140 grain bullets. My reloads need to be 2.725 or less! If longer ammo is used I can pull the bullets when I extract an un fired case!The chamber gets full of powder and my temper flares. This (2.725) length puts a crimpon powder space too.Please help me out here,jh

Offline Hawkeye

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
You guys are talking my caliber now...260 Rem
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 10:53:53 AM »
I have one in the XP100 w/14" barrel. It is my wonder gun.  :grin: Wonder if I can hit that, shot and ring it. No matter how far. I'm shooting the 120grn Speer SP's w/37.5 grns of Varget and a Fed 210 primer. My AOL is 2.785 and 2750 fps. I still working on my 300+ yd load. The load mentioned is 1/2" high at 100 is shooting .5" at 100 and 2" at 200yd. It will be my "GO TO" pistol for this years hunting.  8) I have loaded some 95grn Sierra JHP but have not shot them yet. I'm thinking about getting one of my rifles re-barreled in this caliber. Very pleasant to shoot. Here is the last target I shot with the 120grns.

Mike
You don't quit playing when you get old, you get old when you quit playing!

Offline Somerled

• Avid Poster
Is the 260 Remington...
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 01:19:43 PM »
Ruger is also chambering rifles in .260 Remington. I've been tempted to buy a laminated stocked, Remington Model Seven which has been languishing several months in a display case about 40 miles from my home. There are all kinds of 6.5mm bullets to pick from nowadays.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
President Theodore Roosevelt, San Francisco, Calif., May 13, 1903

Offline Gowge

• Avid Poster
Is the 260 Remington...
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2004, 08:05:24 PM »
There's lotsa' loading data out there on the WWW.  Just be careful what loads you try.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.260remington.html

http://www.clcweb.net/Loading/safeload/data/260_Remington/260_remington.htm

GOOD LUCK!   :D
The wicked flee where no man pursueth but the righteous are bold as a lion.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Is the 260 Remington...
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2004, 03:54:35 AM »
Once a manufacturer legitimizes a cartridge it can never again be a wildcat really.

Federal is loading it in addition to Remington and I think Winchester does also. Not sure about Hornady.

As for Data I think most every loading manual I have (the newest ones) lists data for it. For sure Barnes, Accurate Powder, Hornady, Hodgdon and Nosler do. I just picked up one and have been looking in those manuals lately at the data. I'd think any powder or bullet manufacturer should be able to provide data for their products for it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline bgjohn

• A Real Regular
Is the 260 Remington...
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2004, 04:03:04 AM »
Hogdon's loading magazine has data for the 260 Remington. I had a 260 in a Savage Striker. It was GREAT.
JM
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.

Offline Donna

• Contributor
Is the 260 Remington...
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2004, 04:25:50 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I’m having a Krieger 15-inch barrel chambered in the 260 Remington, on an XP-100 action with a laminated wood mid-grip stock, topped off with a Leopold VARI – X 2.5-8 X 32mm. For local 200 meter metal silhouette shoots and later maybe out to 500 meter shoots with a riflescope. I’ll do post when I have my XP finished. I plan on using the VihtaVuori powder N560. Krieger is sending me a second 15-inch, 6.5mm barrel and I plan on having it chambered in 6.5-250 A.I. later on for a bit of fun and varmint hunting.

Donna