Author Topic: Need new scope for .22 rimfire  (Read 645 times)

Offline hawkeye29

• Trade Count: (0)
Need new scope for .22 rimfire
« on: September 02, 2004, 05:13:41 PM »
I have nothing but junk scopes on all my guns and am wanting to upgrade all of them. Looking for a new .22 scope. Have looked at a Leupold 4x28 rimfire and a Weaver RV4 4x28. Both are way better than my current glass. I am not really sure the Leupold is worth double the price to put on a .22. What do you all think or are there other scopes to consider?

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 06:39:05 PM »
For a .22 I would consider a Nikon Pro Staff 4x 32mm for $99.99 it sure is a clear little thing for the money, Lifetime Warranty to boot...
$30.00 more, or less if you shop around, you can go ahead and get the Pro Staff 2x-7x 32mm...although it is targeted at shotguns/muzzleloaders it should make a fine rimfire scope.

Stay Safe. Happy Shooting/Hunting. :D
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Avid Poster
Re: Need new scope for .22 rimfire
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 12:53:17 PM »
Quote from: hawkeye29
I have nothing but junk scopes on all my guns and am wanting to upgrade all of them. Looking for a new .22 scope. Have looked at a Leupold 4x28 rimfire and a Weaver RV4 4x28. Both are way better than my current glass. I am not really sure the Leupold is worth double the price to put on a .22. What do you all think or are there other scopes to consider?
...........I have and use one of the Leupold 4x rimfire specials on a short, light 22 carbine.....for that use it is great.....the size matchs the light gun and the reticle is scaled for small targets without being so "target style" thin that you lose it in hunting situations.......I also have a old steel Weaver and that is the only contact I've had with Weaver scopes lately.......the shotgun and muzzleloader scopes often have heavy reticles and don't work well on rimfires for accurate shooting at the close ranges at small targets for me and my eyes......for a larger rimfire I have a 2-7 compact Leupold and the 3-9EFR rimfire scope on others......all work well......your budget will let you know where to stop.......hth..good luck and good shooting!!

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 04:15:11 PM »
I did have a Leupold 4x (not the rimfire model) on my .22 rimfire. I took it off to use on a centerfire and bought a Weaver 2X7 rimfire scope. It is a very good scope for the money.
BruceP
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline hawkeye29

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 09:48:36 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I have ruled the Leupold out since it is around $200. I am going to go with either the Nikon or Weavers for around $100 or should I consider the Bushnells which are around $40? If the Nikon or Weavers are worth the extra $60 dollars over the Bushnells for the optics quality should I go with the Nikon or Weaver?

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 11:24:31 PM »
:agree: NIKON :agree:

:D
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
scopes
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2004, 02:34:57 PM »
Not sure what your looking to put the scope on a rifle or pistol. I have a variety of scopes from diff manfgr. I would not toss out the Bushnell or Simmons. I have a Bushnell on my ML and I am quite happy with it. They are a quality company as they bought out Bausch & Lomb. I would put there Elite models on a par with the best Leopold. I have a Nikon on my 44 mag RH with many full house loads used and no problem ( have to check the screws for tightness). Try to find ones that match your own rings and base's
Jim

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2004, 04:30:35 PM »
Earlier this year I also asked what quality rimfire scope to purchase. Several people here suggested the Leupy 3x9-33 E.F.R. so that’s what I ordered. I’m very well satisfied with this scope. This is the one I’ll suggest to you as well.

Be Safe,
Scott