Author Topic: 30-06 firing pin  (Read 475 times)

Offline Robert_L

• Trade Count: (0)
30-06 firing pin
« on: August 16, 2004, 04:03:26 PM »
Hi all,
 I am not much of a poster, usually just watch and learn. I recently purchased a Handi in 06 and have finally been able to try and dial it in. I was not surprised that it is not shooting great groups as it has taken quite a few rounds through my 223 before I was able to achieve an inch with it. That however is not the issue! Every range session I have one or two that will not fire because the pin is not striking the primer hard enough. The dent looks minimal. I am a reloader and know what I am doing there (30 plus years). This is getting me down and I will try switching recievers and hope they fit. Anyone had any problems with firing pins in their handi's or ultras?
 By the way this is the forum that I go to first thing to read cause it's the best.
Thanks everyone,
Robert_L

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
30-06 firing pin
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 04:53:32 PM »
RL, If the action is not overly lubed up and some or most shells fire OK with substantial firing pin indentations make sure you are pulling the trigger fully and completely to the rear to fire the gun, not just lightly tripping the trigger as a target shooter would do. For the built in firing pin transfer bar to be correctly actuated the trigger MUST be pulled to the rear and held there in the instant it takes the hammer to fall. A common problem; one possible reason and one possible solution....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
30-06 firing pin
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 09:41:15 PM »
Had the same problem with my .35 Whelen Handi.  Sent it back to NEF,they fixed it.  Not sure but I think they replaced the firing pin.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.