Author Topic: Brunton Binoculars  (Read 348 times)

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
Brunton Binoculars
« on: September 04, 2004, 06:35:31 AM »
Does anybody know how Brunton binoculars stack up against others?
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Naphtali

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Brunton Binoculars
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 07:46:15 AM »
Once you invest a certain amount, there are no really poor binoculars. I have never seen any Brunton optical product, so I don't know the cost of what interests you. Here are a few items that may help you out.

1. Porro prism binoculars yield better depth perception than comparable roof prism binoculars.

2. Porro prism binoculars with BAK-4 optical glass are far superior to those having BAK-7. With roof prisms it doesn't matter.

3. For comparable quality porro prism binoculars should be less expensive.

4. Binoculars that use Schott optical glass (German, Austrian, perhaps other European countries) have lenses more scratch resistant than other optical glass.

5. Once you invest above that "threshold," the difference in quality between, say, $300 binocular and $1000 binocular pertains to durability, cost of "brand name," and being able to use the binocular for VERY long periods without getting a headache or eye strain.

6. Comparable porro prism binoculars are usually heavier and bulkier than roof prisms.

7. Individually focusing eye pieces are more durable than center focusing ones. Notice every army in the world uses binoculars with individual focusing. None uses center focusing. (Boy, will somebody jump on me and prove me wrong on this! But I'm pretty doggone accurate.)
Remember that a binocular is really two telescopes mounted to work together. Maintaining that relationship costs money. And spare parts or "easy" repair options are useless when you're back of beyond. Quality always trumps.

If you buy the best rather than "good enough," two things are likely: pride of ownership is a great feeling; and the cost of owning the best is peanuts when you amortize the cost for the rest of your life.

The best thing you can do regarding Brunton binocular -- or ANY binocular -- is find the model that interests you and look through it for at least 30 minutes near dawn or dusk. If you have any problem at all from them, buy something else.

A binocular is the single most important item on your hunting trip. You cannot shoot what you cannot see.

I used Zeiss-Jena 7 x 40 EDF roof prism binocular for several years. I found them too heavy. I now use Zeiss-Wetzlar 8 x 30 B/GA IF Olive roof prism binocular with F2 mil scale reticle. With everything -- objective lens and ocular lens protectors, strap, snow filters, etc. -- it weighs 25 ounces.

Hope this helps.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell