Author Topic: Barrel Fit  (Read 548 times)

Offline rmtaylor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Barrel Fit
« on: August 17, 2004, 10:44:06 AM »
How critical is barrel fit in a Huntsman? I asked this question on the Huntsman forum but let me give you a few details. It will lock up but feels slightly loose. At the top of the barrel just above where the primer tab sticks out I can just barely slide a .002 guage in, Nowhere else. The headspace issues are not there like on a centerfire cartridge. So what are the other issues if any?

Thanks,

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Barrel Fit
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 11:01:17 AM »
This is not a recommendation, just something I did once. My dad had an old H&R single shot 12ga shotgun that the barrel was loose as you describe. I took some thin brass shimstock and placed it in the barrel hinge until the barrel was tight but still opened and closed freely. That was 40 yrs ago and it still works fine, although it hasn't seen a tremendous amount of use, but it has taken a turkey by my dad at age 70, his first, a few years ago! I have shot it with 2.75" magnum turkey loads and it shoots fine, but since it is so light, dad wouldn't shoot anything but standard high base hunting loads and he says that's more than he really likes, but took the turkey with it just fine... :grin:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Barrel Fit
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 04:45:27 PM »
Richard,

I'm trying to figure out where there is any need for concern.  My reasoning would center around the many BP guns that have a percussion cap snapped on a nipple with no other support for the cap besides the hammer.  They seem to work just fine that way and you have the receiver that would provide much more support than just a hammer.

Offline rmtaylor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Barrel Fit
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 04:59:38 AM »
Thanks guys I was thinking the same thing but sometimes you can overlook the obvious and you have all kept me out of trouble so far. :lol:

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"