Poll

What is everyones prefered method for harvesting Deer with a Rifle.

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: August 10, 2004, 04:59:31 PM

Author Topic: Prefered method for harvesting Deer with a Rifle.  (Read 900 times)

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Prefered method for harvesting Deer with a Rifle.
« on: August 10, 2004, 04:59:31 PM »
I prefer the spot and stalk method with tree coming in a distant second....although I have used em all....and I know you can call/rattle or bait while using other methods but I mean truly relying strictly on the certain method...
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Prefered method for harvesting Deer with a
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 05:27:01 PM »
I am a ground blind hunter 80% of the time, I will also hunt in a tree stand.  :grin:
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 05:44:05 PM »
I'm not politically correct enough to "harvest" game. I shoot them and when I shoot them I kill them.

I actually prefer still hunting but am pretty much too fat and out of shape to do it anymore. My health has gone down hill drastically in the past few years and I just can't walk the hills the way I used to. And I can't drag a deer out over them even if I could get back there to kill one.

So that means I spend my time either in a treestand or ground blind waiting to ambush one now. And it is seldom far from my truck. The place I hunt most now the truck is seldom much over 200 yards away from me and more often than not a 25 yard drag is all that's required to get it to where the truck can drive. Not the way I prefer to do it but what my health requires of me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 06:26:30 PM »
Quote from: Graybeard
I'm not politically correct enough to "harvest" game. I shoot them and when I shoot them I kill them.

I agree with that 100% and I am no way politically correct, I just always liked the words reap and harvest,(I don't use these words in person just like the way they look on computer) don't know why, kill works for me though.....I am truly sorry you can't hunt the way you like, and wish you many, many more years of "shooting" any animal you choose to "kill" and eat. Thanks for participating in my poll............Happy Hunting and Killing... :-)
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 03:02:21 AM »
About 95% of my deer taken have been shot while still hunting, and the other 5% from a stand.All methods work,but some more or less than others, to each his own...
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 04:00:14 AM »
Bill, glad you're able to enjoy hunting. IMHO the distance from your truck doesn't change anything other than from the way you used to do things. A friend told me of his experience of meeting a gentleman while hunting that had an ATV with a winch on it. He never had anyone to hunt with and got up in years and was leary of dragging a deer out. His solution was to buy an ATV with a winch so he didn't have to lift or drag the deer. I hope you have many more hunting years ahead. Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 01:04:14 PM »
Graybeard,

My health has gone down hill drastically in the past few years and I just can't walk the hills the way I used to. And I can't drag a deer out over them even if I could get back there to kill one.

Many a time I have sat and thought about what it would be like to take the knowledge I have accumulated in my lifetime, take a pill or whatever and get the body back I had when I was 18.  Just think the knowledge and wisdom(?) with the physical abilities to be able to do it.  To be able to chase after Mountain Sheep again.  That would be heaven on Earth.  Lawdog
 :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline scottt

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 01:16:59 PM »
I chose ground blind because that is the closest to what I usually do. I just sit against a fence or tree or whatever  I can lean against and have only had one deer spot me that I know of, which was when I rattled in a huge buck. The others probably left before I saw them! I just like being on the ground.

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 02:52:18 PM »
You don't have my way listed so I'll tell you. I prefer to SHOOT them. I have found over my many years of hunting deer that by using the rifle as a club or spear you do not utilize it to it's full potential. So my vote is for SHOOTING. Please correct your poll to offer that choice.    :wink:   :-D  :)
Love those .41s'

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 03:07:02 PM »
You mean I didn't have to ducktape my huntin' knife to my gun barrel??? :lol:  :)  :-D

Offline DeerMeadowFarm

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 02:56:12 AM »
I voted for still hunting only because there wasn't a "tracking" option. In the case where there is snow I find tracking to be the most rewarding way to hunt deer. I'm not very good at it, but I am getting better!
"Aim small, miss small"

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 04:30:45 AM »
I think tracking falls under stalking and still hunting myself, I use tracks 100% of the time. There don't have to be snow to track animals, the dew is as giving in early morning as is leaves on the forest floor as is high weeds and growed up stuff,low grass is an easy read and dirt/sand is even easier and don't over look little things like "scratches" on rocks/gravel and moss just take your time....if you know what to look for it is very possible to follow "sign" in almost any terrain...also any hunter should use tracks regardless of method used....I have seen hundreds(thousands?) of deer by checking with my binoculars after I have seen a fresh set of tracks, just remember if you see an odd moving branch in the distance take your time and scan carefully being very prepared to change your tactics and when all else fails "jog" a big circle and wait a while......also my opinion of the "BEST" hunter is one who seamlessly blends "ALL" methods listed and uses strategy to boot...

The most important thing when Stalking and /or Still Hunting is to read tracks well, because you may only see 3 deer but there is really 5, and the two that you can't see is the two that will see you the most often. With experience tracks can be read from considerably long distances and can tell you how many critters and which direction/area each is headed/in...always pay careful attention to all your surroundings espeacily other wildlife.

Scout as much as you can and while hunting. Really "scouting" is a speacilized form of tracking in a sense, and is critical to advancing your skills as a hunter, regardless of the animal(s) you intend to kill.

Offline shooter444002

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2004, 05:36:09 PM »
You left the funnest and most productive way of deer hunting out!!! I like to run the dogs!!!! IF I cant run the dogs  I will take to the trees or sit on the ground.

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2004, 07:06:55 PM »
Quote from: shooter444002
You left the funnest and most productive way of deer hunting out!!! I like to run the dogs!!!! IF I cant run the dogs  I will take to the trees or sit on the ground.

:(  I apologize for my negligence and I totally agree, dog hunting (although illegal in my state) is "just about" the "OLDEST" and most commonly overlooked form of hunting deer there is....again I apologize for leaving out a method so important to the history of our race. I have hunted deer with dogs in the past and you are correct about it being fun and productive.  :D

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2004, 08:04:42 AM »
I take to a tree whenever I can...Ground Blind next...Then still hunting...It all depends on what hunting implement is legal at the time...Bow or gun...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline 7mm MAGNUM

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2004, 04:18:07 AM »
I'm pretty much a "Ground Blind " hunter. I'll scout areas that I see look good to me (funnels, saddles, etc.) that show sign of good activity and set a ground blind off in the distance.

In between the course of the day I may pick up and walk to a new spot and keep an eye open at the same time while doing so.
Shoot Straight & Stay Safe!   :D

Terry Webster

Life Member NAHC
Life Member NAFC
Life Member NRA
Michigan Steelheaders Assn
MUCC
Michigan Bow Hunters Assn