Author Topic: Weaver Grand Slam...eye relief off for hunting cloths  (Read 568 times)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Weaver Grand Slam...eye relief off for hunting cloths
« on: August 19, 2004, 12:53:43 PM »
A rather interesting thing happened today when I was trying on some of my heavier hunting jackets...it seems that the Weaver Grand slam I bought last week really doesn't fit me as well as I thought it did.When I put on my down jacket I really had to strain forward, to get a good site picture....and it is very uncomfortable to do that....durn scope was fine in my regular cloths.....

I was wondering...how many of us,actually take the time to dress the way we are planning to hunt? I know I never gave it one thought as I was doing all the side by side comparisions of all those different brands... :oops:

I'm really glad I have a understanding gun shop owner as a friend...dumb thing though on my part...you would think I would listen to him when he told me to by a Leupold.....sooo..long story short...I swapped my Grand Slam for a VX !!! 3.5x10x40 and a few bucks...this one does fit me with the heaviest of coats and works great for shirt sleeves too.....the only other one he had the that would work was the Zeisse Conquest...but he's a-lot higher on those than what I can get them on-line for...and that wouldn't have done me anygood.

Next time...I won't be so brain dead...........

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
Weaver Grand Slam...eye relief off for hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 03:18:48 PM »
I mount my own scopes and allow for the bulky hunting gear.The one scope I had to compromise on the eye relief a Leupold. Here in WV deer season temps run from +70F to below freezing. I found my Past recoil shield works great for simulating a hunting coat with layers under it to set my eye relief. Taking your discovery on eye relief with hunting gear on a bit farther, ever wonder if your stock LOP is right with the cold weather gear on? I shortened the LOP on both of my bolt rifles 1/2" and they are much easier to handle with my hunting coat on.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 04:51:02 AM »
Dave:

I thought about the Lenght of pull and measured it...it's 13-1/4"...and the stock really isn't too long.The problem came from the scope and being able to see thru  it  clearly when having my heavy hunting jacket on...I could if I srunched up on the stock...but that really doesn't feel right...I had the scope slid all the way back in the rings hoping that would help...but it didn't.With the Leupold...I can pull it up and see thru it  clearly...with or with out my down jacket...I guess that's why the say it's non-critical on the eye relief department....

The rifle I have it on is a  257 WeatherbyMag  Accumark...and since this is the first full lenght synthetic stock I've ever owned...I'm not sure how I would go about shortening it...but I do like the idea of using the past pad that would be easier than dragging my hunting cloths around and most of the stores I buy from have them in stock   :wink:  

I think the next time I go to purchase a scope...I'll have the rifle it's going on with me...that way I know how it will fit ...

Mac

Offline Dragon31

• Avid Poster
weaver grand slam
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 05:38:52 AM »
Mac:

I think what you are talking about is eye relief.  I'm a self confessed stock creeper and have the scares between my eye to prove it.  I've use Weaver scopes for around 50 years and I really like them on rifles in the lighter calibers below .308.  So naturally I ran out a bought two Grand Slams to get a cheaper price.  They are very clear and I like the easy eye focus but they just do not have the eye relief to accommodate a hard recoiling rifle (I'm speaking only for myself).  I think the eye relief is around 3.3 to 3.5 inches. which in my opinion is a limiting factor.  I find the same is true for the Bushnell 3200 and 4200 series.  Very clear scopes with limited eye relief.  These scopes now sit on .22 long rifles, .223's, .243's 30-30's and do a really nice job for me on these rifles.  For the larger calibers and harder kicking rifles I have always used Leupold's since they have one of the longest eye reliefs that I know of.  Yes, I agree they may not have as clear a glass, are somewhat pricey, but it sure beats getting wacked between the eyes.

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
Re: Weaver Grand Slam...eye relief off for hunting cloths
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 12:43:46 AM »
Quote from: Mac11700
I was wondering...how many of us,actually take the time to dress the way we are planning to hunt?

I always "compromise" Since I live in an area that temps vary from 0 to 100 (for groundhog and coyote) I set my scope up with a standard coat so that way whether wearing a t-shirt or layered clothes under coveralls I will be able to comfortably make the shot.(with little or no change in shooting form)(depending on the exact model of scope)...this is not always true, however, and that is were taking your rifle to the gun shop comes into play when you purchase a new scope(if possible)
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 04:58:25 AM »
A 13 1/4" LOP is shorter than standard and not a bad thing IMHO. My bolt rifles have a 13" LOP. Many synthetic stocks can be shortened but my gunsmith told me it can be a pain on his part. Using a thinner recoil pad can be one way to get a shorter LOP.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 11:27:13 AM »
Mac - Why didn't you just move the scope back the 1/2 inch or so? Most scopes have at least that much adjustment. This can also be done with an extended base.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 12:55:10 PM »
PA-Joe:

I did that already...and it didn't help enough...thats why I went a traded it on the Leupold....don't have a problem anymore...but thanks...

Mac