Author Topic: .357 magnum arrives and ordered the new barrel !!!!  (Read 551 times)

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
.357 magnum arrives and ordered the new barrel !!!!
« on: August 16, 2004, 01:39:15 PM »
earlier in the year i tried to order another 357 handi, i like that caliber in the handi and wanted a spare in case anything happened to the one i have. no luck, my normal dealer was out of stock and couldn't get one, that's when i found out it was discontinued.

a few weeks go i posted a "want to buy" ad here in the classified forum and in a few days got an email from a dude at www.reedsammo.com. he has one in stock so i gave him the visa #, had my local dealer do the FFL thing and the handi arrived at the local dealer friday.

so on the way up to camp tomorrow, i'm stopping at central ny sporting goods to pick up my brand-new handi !!!!! i can't decide if i should pump it full of cosmoline or clean it and shoot it !!!

last month, i posted a question asking what caliber should i get for the slick new receiver i bought from bigborefan. the response was good with 25-06, 7mm-08 and 280 being the winners. BUT ! i ended ordering a 223 barrel with rifle sites, receiver refinished with case colors and ordered up a new pistol grip synthetic stock and forearm. why the 223 ??? besides the fact that i have about 1.5 zillion rounds of 223, i wanted a light quick gun to dispatch varmints and coyotes at close range up at camp. no scope, just point - click, and varmint-dioxide ! my wife collects dachshunds, 5 so far, i have my dog too, with that many dogs we are borderline white trash. however, at camp, we have coyotes, and those fishers, and other predators that will stalk my wifes dogs. now i know a .410 would probably do the job just fine, but i wanted to have a centerfire metallic that would take out anything small with no questions at all yet i didn't want a scope to impede fast target acquisition at short ranges and low light levels.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
.357 magnum arrives and ordered the new bar
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 02:13:00 PM »
Scattergunner it sounds like you are one lucky camper!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline JimIowa

Cool!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 04:48:39 AM »
.223 is one of my favorite cartridges, and it will flat do for varmints!
One thing though, any varmint that takes on a Dachdhund is going to have it`s handful! They are not the brightest dog I have owned, but Years and Years of breeding to create a dog that will fearlesslygo down in a burrow and fight a Badger makes for one brave & tough Hound.
It`s a shame so many great Hunting Breeds have been turned into Bench Dogs! Though even some of the Breeding shows in the Bench Dogs, I once had a Scottish Terrier, that flat loved hunting varmints(Dumbest Dog I ever had)but I always grin when I think of her.

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
.357 magnum arrives and ordered the new bar
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 02:04:31 PM »
hi jim -

my wifes' dachsunds are pretty much dumb dogs, my dog, a male all-american breed is smart, recognizes about 15 words and is totally house trained. the dachshunds used to use the living room as a toilet. now they are crated when the wife is out of the house. they may hunt good, but boy they are tough to deal with as house pets.

i'm up at camp tonight and brought the new 357 mag handi up with me, i scrubbed it up good, got all the factory gook out of it, and gave it a nice rub down with break free. the 223 is on order but no word yet from NEF as to when i will get it. it's fun having a toy on order !!!

it'll be a fun rifle, quick, iron sights, and cheap to shoot.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!