Author Topic: Simmons or Tasco????  (Read 2621 times)

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Simmons or Tasco????
« on: February 26, 2004, 09:04:19 PM »
I am looking at a Simmons 44 Mag 3 X 10 or a Tasco World Class 3 X 9 scope for my new 223 ultra.

Are both good?  Is one better than the other?

Anyone with bad or good experiences with either?

Thanks ahead
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Simmons or Tasco????
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 10:12:19 PM »
I've no personal experience but when Tasco came out with their World Class line, I remember reading that it got a lot of good reviews.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Simmons or Tasco????
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 03:23:42 AM »
If that is your only two choices, take the Simmons and don't look back. I have one of those TWC's and it is the WORST scope (glare is unbelievable)next to the two JUNK BSA shotgun scopes (each came apart with less than 12 shots each) that I have ever owned. What is your price limit, there are some decent scopes for a little more money. A couple of good scopes around $100-$125 are the Bushnell Trophy and the Simmons Whitetail Expedition or Classic, if you can find one.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Gratman

• Trade Count: (0)
Simmons or Tasco????
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 03:32:03 AM »
Handirifle,

Look under the Products Forum Discussion section under "Optics".  Quite a few good suggestions there.  I was pleasantly suprised to read alot of positives on Bushnell optics.  ( since I bought 2 recently).   I took the middle of the road "Banner Series".  And since I do not do a tremendous amout of rifle hunting, I would say I got a great scope for my needs.
Everyones needs are diiferent.   Good luck in your search.

Gratman
Gratman

...and remember....all plumbing is temporary...

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Scopes
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 03:56:21 AM »
Handirifle:

Ask who ever is showing you the scopes,if you can look thru them both in natural light...not the store flourecensent lights.Take them over to the door and look outside with them,preferably not thru another piece of glass,or window screen.You can get a false impression of the true clarity of a scope under flourecensent lighting.As long as the scopes your getting has muti-coated lens on them both inside and outside they will be bright and sharp.While both of your choices are pretty good,try to find a Aetec scope on sale or one like mine the Whitetail Expidition on sale.The difference will astound you when you look thru them,and for the money you can't go wrong with them. I have had more Tasco scopes fail on me than any other brand,so(IMHO).. even if I was given one...I would trade it or give it away....My choice on scopes on a budget...the high end Simmons(that's why the stopped making the Whitetail Expidition..cost too much...didn't fit in their budget line) next up would be the Leupolds Vari X 1...I have both and love them....even though your not spending $200 and more on a scope you can still get some great optics with these brands when you can find them.

Hope that helps...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
Simmons or Tasco????
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 06:12:19 AM »
You guys are all reflecting what i was fearing, thanks. I guess I'll just hace to save for a good one and let the UV sit till I can get it. :(

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
Simmons or Tasco????
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 09:25:36 PM »
Simmons work. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
Simmons or Tasco????
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 07:31:39 AM »
I just picked up a Simmons 44 Mag from gunbroker.  $52 so it is gonna be hard to beat for a while.  With a lifetime guarantee I should do OK.  Thanks for the feedback to all.

Offline 84jeepj10

I have one of each
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 08:49:44 PM »
I've got a Simmons 3-9x40 8-point scope and a Tasco 3-9x40. The Tasco is much clearer and the focus knob is easier to adjust and better than any Simmons I've used. The Simmons when you turn the 3-9 dial it actually refocuses the scope so you can only use a certain forcus for a couple of distances. The Tasco doesn't refocus, it is a true "zoom" function, I can use all settings from 3-9 at any distance. I' much happier with the Tasco, and if that's not enough the Simmons 3-9x40 8-point scope retails $50 @ Wal-Mart where the Tasco 3-9x40 is $40. Tasco is the better scope. That's the one I have on my modified NEF .270.
1-22 IN, 4 ID Ft Hood, TX
TIkka T3 Light Stainless LH 30-06 sprg

Offline cfmpilot

Tasco vs Simmons
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 04:35:45 PM »
I use both for casual shooting, i.e., paper and varmints. I would not recommend either for a money hunt. From experience, I can tell you that neither will take pickup vibration or blows against rocks, etc., as well as a Leupold or Burris.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
Simmons or Tasco????
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 05:23:25 PM »
cfmpilot
I hope to get drawn for New Mex elk this June.  If I do my '06 is going to wear a new Luepold 2X7 this fall.  I'm already working up a load with 165gr Nosler Partitions for the hunt and 165gr Hornady Interlok for practice.  I have a fixed 4X on it now and that would be fine except I'm not sure how reliable it will be.  It's very old.

Offline Riflemanz

Simmons or Tasco????
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 05:07:58 AM »
Get a job mowing lawns and save up till you can get a Leupold.
Have you hugged your 45-70 lately?
NRA Member
Menomonee Falls Gun club member
REM 7400 .270
Marlin 1895,1894
Ruger 44Mag Super Redhawk
Glock 19