Author Topic: Help Me Decide On A New Barrel  (Read 422 times)

Offline TNred

• Trade Count: (0)
Help Me Decide On A New Barrel
« on: August 21, 2004, 02:21:33 PM »
Hey Guys,

I’m a new member who’s in need of some advice.

I’ve been hunting coyotes for about a year now, so I think it’s about time for me to get a dedicated coyote gun.  For now, I’ve decided to just get a new .223 barrel for my Handi-Rifle.  I can’t decide between a regular barrel or a bull barrel.  So I need some help.

How much heavier is the bull barrel than the regular barrel?

I hunt in the east where shots range from 50-200 yards.  At this range, would the bull barrel be noticeably more accurate than the regular barrel?

Thanks!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 02:29:05 PM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 02:37:40 PM »
A good 'steady rest' is what really makes the difference if the barrel itself is good.     I sometimes rest the barrel on a jacket, on the back of a patio chair, while sitting on one of those camo'd fold-up seats to get an accurate shot.    It is a world of help.     So too is a good set of cross-sticks used properly.

The rifle needs to be accurate, and either barrel weight can be.    The 'rest' is still critical to the accuracy equation, however.    

I'd buy the lightweight barrel if you'll be walking very far.....
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 04:11:06 PM »
There will not be that much difference in weight between the Ultra (24" barrel), and the Handi Rifle (22" barrel).  Both have pretty beefy barrels.

I hunt coyotes regularly with a Ultra .223 and a large magnification scope. The whole rig is pretty heavy.  I don't do a LOT of walking, but I do walk.  I shoot off of shooting sticks of my own design.  This is a deadly combo on coyotes.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters