Author Topic: cabella's 1858  (Read 809 times)

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
cabella's 1858
« on: August 21, 2004, 07:24:47 PM »
I see Cabella's has an 1858 for $149..........any thoughts.  I am looking for an occasional plinker.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline headshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: cabella's 1858
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 12:55:49 PM »
Quote from: sgtt
I see Cabella's has an 1858 for $149..........any thoughts.  I am looking for an occasional plinker.

OK, i shall give you my 2 cents worth here, i own a LL. Pietta Texas New Army 1858 brass frame hogleg I bought at Cabelas with the starter kit.

Firstly, you get what you pay for a roughly made but fun plinker....no bench rest accuracy here...the timing is off somewhat and the trigger and hammer are extremely heavy...compared to my Vaquero..again you get what you pay for, the capper that comes with the kit does NOT fit the cylinders properly....you'll need to file a small section away to make it fit or purchase a Ted CAsh capper...the nipples are very soft and deform easily after 50 or so rounds...i bought  extra ones, but for a occasional plinker it's a cheap and easy way to get started in Black Powder shooting.

mine groups 3 inches at 25 yards.

Good Luck and have fun.
Live for today! life''''s too darn short----enjoy the outdoors to it''''s MAX----and teach your children the same values  8)   :sniper:

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
cabella's 1858
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 02:49:46 PM »
I have a steel frame 58 Pietta from Cabela's that has very good fit and finish, indexes well and will hold 3-4 inch groups with 30gr fffg, wonder wad and .457 cast ball. Spend the extra $20 for the steel frame model and you won't be disappointed.
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
cabella's 1858
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 04:08:33 PM »
I believe this was a steel frame mdl.  I have certainly p....... away 150 in worse ways!
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
cabella's 1858
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 05:32:56 PM »
I have put probably two hundred rounds through my Pietta brass frame '58 "buffalo" and I have never had accuracy problems. 4-5 inch groups at 50 yards is pretty good for me, and I really don't know how much mroe accurate I could be. Of course, you are probably looking at a diferent model, but the company has made some pretty good products in my opinion. As for the nipples getting messed up, not yet on mine, but then again mabey I got a good one and somebody else got a bad one to make up for it.
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
cabella's 1858
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 02:07:16 AM »
I own four pietta, three colt models and 1 remmington.  I have had no problems to speak of.  I think they are one of the best buys for the $.  I have put easily 1000+ rounds through two of them and they are the original nipples.