Author Topic: Rechambering  (Read 947 times)

Offline Varminter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Rechambering
« on: August 22, 2004, 11:03:41 AM »
I just bought a handi rifle in 223 rem. and want to get it rechambered b/c the 223. is to small of a caliber to hunt deer with in TN. It has a bull barrel so that would give me alot of options. I know what you all are thinking just get another barrel and i have considered that but when I looked at the barrel list I did not want any of those calibers. I was thinking along the lines of the 25 WSSM but was not sure if the frame could handle the round. The reason for the 25 WSSM was I would like to have something large enough to take a deer but with a smaller grain bullet i could hunt varmint also. If you have any suggestions on calibers or if this is even possible please tell me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Rechambering
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 11:16:25 AM »
25-06 Rem....comes in 26" barrel and is the Ultra barrel which means it has been polished before bluing at the factory and has a more resilient finish. Plenty heavy for deer and can handle up to a 120 gr. bullet......but also plenty light for varmints by being able to use as small as a 75gr. bullet.
The only drawback is that they seem to need a lot of rounds fired thru them before they settle into a tight groups. Mine is at the 40-50 round mark and is shooting 1.5" consistently with the occasional flyer still. I am not the greatest marksman in the world by any means which could explain the groups and the flyers. Mine should still be all I need for deer and/or varmints. I don't know that for sure yet as it is still "bloodless" but I feel pretty confident that it won't dissapoint me. I shoot 117 gr. spitzers at the moment but had pretty good groups with 100 gr. core-lokts when the gun was new.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
Rechambering
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 11:35:44 AM »
The 25-06 in the ultra barrel is just too long of a barrel for what I want but thanks for the suggestion. My 223 is a 22 in. bull barrel. I would like to keep the same length barrel but just have it reachambered. I figured since it was a bull barrel it would give me alot of options. Maybe even some wildcat calibers. But will the frame handle the pressure of these cartridges. I don't really know what the "strongest" caliber would be that the handi rifle frame could handle.

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Rechambering
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 11:50:24 AM »
As far as I know, noone has tried to rechamber for any of the magnum calibers and it has been highly discouraged by many of the more knowledgable guys here. I don't believe that the Handi/Ultra receivers can handle the intense chamber pressures of the magnums, I'm sure some of the other guys will post on this soon. The 25-06 started as a wildcat cartridge but I understand your concerns over the longer barrel, however the Handis equal the length of a bolt gun with 22" barrel when they are carrying the 26" barrels.
The .243 would be another option for you. I personally would not get it in the bull barrel tho cause a lot of the guys here have had a hard time getting them to stabilize anything larger than a 85 gr. bullet due to the rifle twist of the varmint barrel. I have a friend who has 3 of the .243's ....a standard wood, a youth wood, and a superlight with the iron sights and shoots the 100 gr. thru them all with no problems stabilizing the round. The superlight barrel is 22" I believe, you can check all the barrels at www.hr1871.com and then click on the barrel accessory link.
Good shooting with whatever you decide to go with.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
Rechambering
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 12:18:06 PM »
It would be a lot cheaper to buy a 25/06 barrel and pay somebody to cut it shorter than it would be to have a gunsmith bore, chamber and rifle (~$225) your .223 to make it 25 cal. The action is not strong enough for the wide short magnums anyway, backthrust is the product of pressure and surface area. An infrequent poster here made a 300WSM and it didn't last 100 shots before the barrel was floppy loose.
Why not shoot varmints with the .223, and get a 7mm-08, 270, 30-30, 308 or 30-06 barrel for deer?

Offline Deadeye47

Rechambering
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 01:11:18 PM »
What Mitch said.... :-)
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
Rechambering
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 01:43:21 PM »
Varminter
The 25WSSM is good cartridge it is short and fat almost equal to the 25-06 uses less powder. But, here is the hitch, it operates at 65Kpsi to reach that. It is not that the Handi will blow up at that pressure but it wont like it.

Cutting the barrel off on a 25-06 is futile, you just waste a lot of powder for nothing. On the other hand a 7mm-08 will shoot a 120gr bullet and kill deer with devastating effect. I know because i have used it and right now I have a 7mm-o8AI that I hunted with in Africa.

The reason for the AI version is because the better ease of hand loading and case life. The 308 case does not improve much in velocity.

So the advise of getting a 7mm-08 is a good one. Just ask people that use one. In my opinion it is one of the best 7mm's and very much like the 7x57 in performance. Besides the bullet selection leaves nothing to be desired. Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
Rechambering
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 04:06:34 PM »
varminter -

fred hit the nail on the head. all those short magum shells are made for the stronger bolt action guns, not handi's. the pressures are much higher that the handi is designed for and also the thrust on the face of the receiver is higher with the wssm shells.

plus the 22 wssm pushes bullets out over 4000 fps, i'm not sure how long a handi barrel would last at those velocities, a couple hundred rounds ?

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Rechambering
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 05:09:21 PM »
Varminter
I know you sid you didn't like those calibers but you're pretty well SOL.  Nothing like the 25 WSSM will work safely in the Handi, as has been pointed out already.  I'd look real closely at the 243 or 7-08.  They will do all you ask and with a 22" barrel.  A new barrel is a lot cheaper than a re-chamber/re-bore, if that is an issue.

I don't think the 25 WSSM will do anything any of the other calibers mentioned will not.  If all else fails get a 25-06 barrel and cut it to 22" if the length is an issue.  But then you'll get 243 performance or less.  the 243 and 25-05 are near twins anyway.  The 25-05 has the SLIGHT advantage with 120gr bullets.

One thing you might consider is some of the Wildcat rounds based on the 30-30 case.  Much more than 223 performance but less than others mentioned here.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
Rechambering
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 05:55:11 PM »
Varminter;

Fred M. is right about a 7mm-08, He is very knowledgeable about these guns, and myself I shoot a 7mm-08 in a Rem Mod. 7FS and all my deer hunting is done in Tennessee. And I can say also like Fred said it is a VERY good caliber for deer. I don't know haw many I 've shot with my 7mm-08 But with 120gr. bullets they go down and stay down.
But if you want a different caliber to rechamber in that 223 I would think about a 7mmTCU. I had one in a Contender and they are ACCURATE!
Just a thought and added my 2 cents.
Good Luck.

Dennis  :D

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Rechambering
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2004, 09:41:55 PM »
Varminter:

Soooo.you don't like your 223 and you wanna go the hardway:wink: ..you want to get a dual purpose rifle...and you want something different...maybe even a one-of-a-kind rifle......correct...well heck son... you got a couple of real good choices...if that money that is burning a hole in your pocket has to be spent... and spending the same amount on a rechamber,rebore,and gunsmitting charges...plus shipping and handling as buying a whole new gun doesn't matter...then take a look at the 2 of the all time perinnial favorites........the 250 Savage...and the 257 Roberts...(regular or improved)...all three will do what you want...all 3 are great dual purpose cartridges...and all of them would be unique in your Handi...each one is a step up from the other in the order I listed them....the 250 Savage and the 257 Roberts...are standard factory loadings....and the 257 Improved is a wildcat.......a very good wildcat if your wanting one of those...that from the manuals I have it  will get you to 25-06 velocities  in a 22" barrel....if I was going to go the hard route with a 223 barrel...this is the route I'd take...

Good Luck

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
Rechambering
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 01:23:27 PM »
I guess I'll take your advice and go with the 7mm-08. I had thought about it before but i wasn't sure if I'd like it. I thought for some reason that it would be cheaper to get the 223 rechambered (guess I was wrong :? ) oh well. Now my next series of questions: 1. What is the lightest grain factory made bullet you can buy for varmint? 2. what is the heaviest grain factory made bullet you can buy? And finally: 3. Does anyone have a 7mm-08 barrel they are willing to part with? If so just let me know quick, fast, and in a hurry. :grin: