Author Topic: scope for new abolt .270  (Read 1287 times)

Offline BB BUCKHORN

• Trade Count: (0)
scope for new abolt .270
« on: July 31, 2004, 06:34:08 AM »
I just bought a new .270 abolt rifle.I just wanted some opinions on the best scope to put on the rifle for deer hunting.I want a durable scope that will be good under all shooting/hunting conditions and that will be clear and work great under very low light conditions.Something that will last a lifetime!!

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 07:01:58 AM »
That all depends on the price you want to spend...you could get a Nikon Monarch or Bushnell Elite 4200 for around$250-$450 or a Swarovski,Kahles,or Zeiss that could range from $700-$1700, but who knows a $300 Weaver Grand Slam could be your best choice, some people prefer Burris Signatures or Leupolds, but not myself....I would/did go with a Nikon Monarch 3x-9x 40mm and I couldnt be happier, I have it mounted on a Ruger M77 7mm Remington Magnum and have probally racked up 1000 shots or more on it with no problems but you could draw a dud, although I doubt you would.....I recommend going to a gun shop,etc. and just check em out, ask the dealer to let you look through em in the wharehouse section with the lights set low or better yet go after dark and take the few you like the best outside....

I dont like Leupold because I had one fog internally while I was in the field, and it wasnt a cheap one either....

The people that use this forum really can help you a lot but may require a little more info about your hunting style and other specific information, also do you prefer that your scope "match" the finish on your gun or does it really not matter to you,etc.....I understand you did say "all" hunting situations but that can vary, to me that means from 5-500 yards in the rain, at night, in the thick bush, across a soybean field, a creek and a fencerow all at once, but to someone else it may mean less than 200yards and only if its a perfect broadside shot....please elaborate.

I would personally stick to a 40mm objective so it will stay low to the receiver and also weighs a little less compared to a 50mm, and stay away from adjustable objectives(more trouble than they are worth in a hunting situation)
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline Dave in WV

scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 10:36:10 AM »
To add to what 7magWoodsman has said, since you didn't give the expected hunting conditions (open or woods) a 3x9 in any of the better lines will work well. In brush I like a lower magnification scope. Not to flame 7magWoodsman any brand can fail. A $1000 scope can fail as can a $100 one. We expect the more expensive name brand scopes not to fail. If you want to use a scope for a lifetime, baby the lens and only clean them when needed and with approved cleaning materials. Scopes don't go "dim" by just sitting in a gun safe or cabinet. Careless cleaning or improper cleaning is the cause of that.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 10:53:53 AM »
There is no hunting situation for deer/elk/antelope in America that can't be handled fine with a 2-7 or 3-9 scope. I have nothing more powerful than a 3-9 on any of my hunting rifles and most wear less. On the new R700 LSS Mtn. Rifle in .260 I just picked up to join my other two in 7-08 and .30-06 I am mounting a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9 with the new Firefly reticle. The other two wear a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8 and a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7.

That's the kinda optics I use and recommend.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 07:47:20 PM »
Quote from: Dave in WV
To add to what 7magWoodsman has said, since you didn't give the expected hunting conditions (open or woods) a 3x9 in any of the better lines will work well. In brush I like a lower magnification scope. Not to flame 7magWoodsman any brand can fail. A $1000 scope can fail as can a $100 one. We expect the more expensive name brand scopes not to fail. If you want to use a scope for a lifetime, baby the lens and only clean them when needed and with approved cleaning materials. Scopes don't go "dim" by just sitting in a gun safe or cabinet. Careless cleaning or improper cleaning is the cause of that.

This is WORTH READING TWICE!!!  I agree with Dave in WV 110%

I also agree with Greybeard on the Bushnell 3200, one of the best, if not THE best, scope for the money.(I prefer the 3200 to a lot of scopes costing hundreds more, and for good reason) also like Greybeard I prefer a 2x-7x or 3x-9x.I never shoot on anything above 6-7 and I just dont know why someone has not made a good(affordable) 2x-7x 42mm scope,I personally think that would be IDEAL.

One more thing I would like to add is, the longest shot I ever made, which was well beyond 500 yards, was with a fixed 4x Weaver...
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline BB BUCKHORN

scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 11:49:37 AM »
I hunt anywhere from the woods to open beanfields here at home..my shots would range from 15yds to 400 yds.I would like the scope to be able to handle those situations and handle a deer hunt to canada in the future.I want this .270 to be an all around deer gun.That being said,I have looked at the Vari x-III and the zeiss conquest in the +/_ 500.00 range......the kahles in the 700.00 range...the swarvoski in the 1000.00 range.I want the gun to be able to hunt to dark thirty also.What would be a good choice?

Offline Dave in WV

scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 02:23:00 PM »
I have no experience with Bushnell Elite scopes. That said I'd get a Elite 4200 series 2.5x10. Several guys that post here swear by Elite scopes and they're folks I trust. I'm not much on battery powered reticles. I'm set in my ways and don't trust them.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 05:44:54 PM »
The Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10 would do a fine job under your conditions mentioned AND give you the protection of Rainguard finish on the lens to keep it from fogging when your hot breath hits the lens just as you see the biggest trophy of your career.

The Leupold Vari-X III or I guess now they call them VX-III 2.5-8 would also do a fine job. If you're really worried about enough light to shoot then get a Bushnell with Firefly reticle.

Spend your money as you wish but one of those two scopes will do evey thing you want a scope to do. If you can't make a 400 yard shot on a big game animal at 8 or 10X then chances are you can't at 40X either.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 06:36:30 PM »
Quote from: BB BUCKHORN
I hunt anywhere from the woods to open beanfields here at home..my shots would range from 15yds to 400 yds.I would like the scope to be able to handle those situations and handle a deer hunt to canada in the future.I want this .270 to be an all around deer gun.That being said,I have looked at the Vari x-III and the zeiss conquest in the +/_ 500.00 range......the kahles in the 700.00 range...the swarvoski in the 1000.00 range.I want the gun to be able to hunt to dark thirty also.What would be a good choice?

Out of these you listed I would probally go with the Zeiss Conquest, I checked one out at Bass Pro the other day and I really liked it a lot...Bushnell Elite 4200 is a great choice as everyone else has said...

For dependability I would consider the Nikon Monarch. I can personally vouch for the ruggedness of this scope, it has survived over 1000 shots (probally 2000) of 7 Rem Mag. I have fell with it about 5-10 times, I have hunted with it in rain so heavy my scope actually filled up with water(not internally) so bad that water poured out of it when I went to make a 300 yard one shot kill(nice 10 point). I could not be happier with this scope and have never had to readjust zero(except when I change ammo) I have shot deer at dark30 and in heavy fog, this scope has never fogged or let me down, but I plan to retire it soon for that reason. I have an old 22 it would look good on...I do use defogger/rain repeller I get at the optometrist, it dont cost much and works wonders...

I would stay with a 2x-7x, 2.5x-8x, or 3x-9x 36-42mm. Its my opinion but I think big(50mm) objectives snag more branches than Big Game and the super power (12x+) scopes make you watch your shakes more so than your target...

Offline Dave in WV

scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2004, 03:47:14 AM »
I forgot to state why I recommended the 4200 2,5x10. I was thinking of the Firefly reticle for the dim light requirement and it has a decent field of view on 2.5 x for close shots. GB and Zachary have posted very positive experiences with Elite series scopes. The Leupold 2.5x8 VX 3 is a good scope. My son has one and a Nikon Monarch 3x9. While he likes both, he feels there isn't enough difference to spend $150 more for the Leupold.
--Albert Einstein

Offline BB BUCKHORN

scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2004, 02:54:26 PM »
How do the zeiss conquest stack up against the new vari x III's?

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 10:44:48 AM »
Nothing except maybe a swarovski and a Leupold LPS beats a Zeiss.......best scope on the market at a "reasonable price".  If you are thinking about getting either the Leupold VXIII or a Zeiss Conquest.........get the Zeiss, no ?'s asked.......it is a much better scope all around, the leupold also is not a very good "bang for ya buck" type scope (LEUPOLD'S ARE ALLLL OVER PRICED!!)

Just my 2 cents
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 12:07:27 PM »
I agree... I would buy the Zeiss Conquest although for the first year or three I would continue to worry if it could hold up as good as my Nikons(just like when I went from Weaver to Nikon, I was worried then too)...the Conquest sure does paint a pretty picture when you look through it and seems to transmit light very well.

Offline BB BUCKHORN

scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2004, 08:29:14 AM »
Is the over seas glass that much better than the vari x III's glass?It appears for the money I am going to get the zeiss conquest or the vari x III.The money for the swarovski is a bit much.I can see spending money on binoculars in the swarovski class,with binoculars you are spending alot of time behind them.When I pick my rifle up I  will not be looking I will be shooting.I need a scope that is tough,accurate,clear,low light capable?I feel like the zeiss or the vari xIII will offer these qualities.I do like the eye releif of both models.How are the warrenties with each company?

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2004, 10:38:43 AM »
Both are great scopes........you will be getting a much better deal/scope if you buy the Zeiss Conquest......the Vari X III is wayyyyyyyy over priced, and cannot be compared in light gathering ability, or anything else you are looking into. Here is where the Zeiss Conquest outdoes all other scopes of its class: AN ETCHED RETICLE.  Most scopes come with a wire reticle that can fall or come loose, but the Zeiss comes with it etched into the glass.  Makes it much better, better reliability, etc.......Even the SWAROVSKI'S dont come with this and they cost 1 grand.  As I said the Leupold LPS may be better, but thats will cost a grand, and as you said, thats too expensive........I have actually read articles where people have said they rather there $400 Zeiss Conquest, instead of there $1200 Swarovski AH/PH (pro hunter or the other one i think it is aerican hunter).

In optics, there is poor, good, great, excellent, and top of the notch.  In my opinion optics can only get "SO" good.  there reaches a point where the glass cant be cut any more precisely, and simply the scope can't get any better than it is.  I think that is what the companies such as Zeiss, Nikon (the Titanium, and Monarch Gold), Leupold (LPS), Burris (Black Diamond, Euro Diamond, and Titanium), Swarovski, Nightforce, and Docter Optics, have reached.  They simply have such a small amount of remove for error, that it makes it almost impossible to  increase there products to performs better, than they already are.  

It all depends on how much money you want to spend....:

Zeiss: $400-1200
Swarovski/Kahles: $900-$1600
Nightforce: ?? (around a $1000)
Docter Optics: $500- $1200
Burris: $550- $$900
Leupold: $899-$999
Nikon: $500-$900

As I said.......to some point the optics only get so good, and then it becomes a waste of money.

I would go with the Zeiss.......(I have personally looked through one, and they are exceptional compared to a Leupold, but i know there are alot of leupold fans out there I just dont think they have adapted there product to the "new times")

Maybe you should know, but i'm only 15, but i dont think that should effect your decision.....I looked for 2 months b/f I spent my money on a scope.......since it was my money, the best I could afford was the New Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50 AO.  I was VERY VERY close to just saving my money, and buying a $700 scope that I will never have to replace..........I already know the exact scope I will buy when I reach the point in my life where I need another scope........a Docter Optics 3-12x56.  They run around $700, and have a new type of lens, called an "A-SPHERICAL" lens which allows more light to be gathered (or something like that).  Fits everything I wanted in a scope........i just didnt have the money :cry:

Since you are looking at the high priced scopes I thought I would mention it......it used to be owned by Zeiss, but then split from them.........idk y (i think maybe b/c of WWI and WWII)

The best price I found was $689, since you said your shots could be 400 yards I thought that would be a good scope to mention. And with the 4x zoom, it has great light transmission (sry for calling it "gathering" earlier in the post greybeard, i know its transmission)

I thought that would give another option for your search.......cabelas have the scope if you want some info, but there price is high......sry this is so long........what do ya think??

Offline BB BUCKHORN

scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2004, 11:49:53 AM »
Thanks for the info goose.

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2004, 12:36:05 PM »
ur welcome  :D

Offline Buckfever

• A Real Regular
Goose....
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2004, 03:57:46 AM »
It is great to see a young person who has this much interest in the sport of hunting and also Focus.  You remind me of my earlier days with my hunting buddies.  So Goose as the Nascar boys would say " How bad you got it?"

Buckfever

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2004, 05:08:18 AM »
HAHA :-D  :) !!!!

I guess you can tell I am excited about hunting season this coming up fall!!

I guess I "got it bad"!!

I hope the info I gave about the scopes will help you out........i am no expert by far, but searching for over 2 months before I bought my scope gave me A LOT of insight on the topic!!  I really watch how I spend my money, and try to find the best "brang for ya buck" outthere.

Simply, back to what you are trying figure out which scope, if you want to get a HIGH DOLLAR scope, I would go with the Docter Optics.  Not many people have heard of them, but they branched off from Zeiss around WWII (or WWI??).  So, basically, they are making almost the same scope, for alot cheaper.  I mean you can compare a Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56 to a Docter Optics 3-12x56, and they are almost identicle.  Except in qone category.......price.  I found the Docter Optics one for $689, but most places sell the Zeiss for about $900.  Just my thoughts but I would like to save the CASH!!  Plus, Docter Optics has just come out with a new type of lens, an A-sperical lens.  I do not know exactly what it does (I used to know the diff. I have just forgotten).  I think it is one of the only scope with that feature.  You probably pay $100 more for the A-sperical lens, but thats just a guess (estimate).

But everything depends on what you need the scope for??  brush shots, to carry long distances, maximum light transmission, light and compact, high variable zoom, etc??  What do you need, and then I should be abale to give some more info. (sry this is soooooooooo long)

:D

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2004, 05:25:19 AM »
Go to this website.......it has info on there scope........the only downside that I can maybe see is a "wire-reticle", thats the only place a zeiss is a lil better (it has an etched reticle), but Swavoski has a wire reticle and it doesnt seem to stop making people buy them!!!

http://www.docteropticsusa.com/scopes/specs.html

Thats the technical info.  I dont know how many lens a Zeiss has on its Conquest series, but the Docter scope come with 6.  I do not know how this compares to other scope........hold on let me search it real quick........zeiss's website does not say how many lens, but it is probable nearly the same......

What do you guys/gals think??

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2004, 06:25:56 AM »
Goose:

While the Conquest is arguably a  super fine scope...in my area..you can still buy a Leupold cheaper(go figure)...and to the difference between an etched reticle and a wire...I have never had a Leupold fail...I know there has been instances of them failing...but I have never had one loose a reticle or heard of one doing that...even though the etched one isn't magnified...I'm not really concentrating on the reticle...but on the target...so it isn't noticable to me...also to my tired old eyes...when I compared the Conquest to the Leupold VX111...it was virtually the same in clarity and brightness...and would probably have to have some fancy equipment to see the difference...since all of the differences have to do with the coatings and how true the lenes are cut and polished....what irks me is how large a mark up some of these nice scopes have on them..from whatever store you buy them from...but go on line and you can see some tremendous savings on them...makes you wonder why they are so overpriced in the stores.......go to buy a Leupold and you can save $50 to $100 on line...but that's about it...the Conquest is running $150 to $200 cheaper on line than off a dealers shelf...all about mark up I'm sure...and how manufactures set prices... I just hate buying site unseen...sometimes it works out...othertimes it don't...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline BB BUCKHORN

scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2004, 01:26:06 PM »
I bought a Kahles 3.5 x 10 x 50 mm(1"tube)scope.I had a chance to go set at my local dealers place this week and compare scopes the last 30 minutes of daylight.I compared the vari x III , swarovski 1" 4x12x50 , Kahles 3.5x10x50 1".All the scopes performed pretty much the same until dark 30.The swar. and kahles stayed a bit clearer at dark.I could tell no difference between the swar. and kahles.The Leupold did great though,it was just that the others had a little bit more clarity at last light.The leupold was 500.00,Kahles 650.00,swarovski 850.00.....I chose the Kahles because of the ability to do what I needed and the price.However I still feel that if I would have chose any of the other two I would have been happy!I think there are alot of good quality scopes out there and it gets down to splitting frog hairs in the end!!....PS  my dealer did not have Zeiss available.THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO!!!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2004, 04:18:40 PM »
Those Kahles are real nice scopes...from the ones I looked thru anyhow...I think you'll be happy with it...

Good Luck with it

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline victorcharlie

scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2004, 02:23:59 AM »
Hey BB Buckhorn......I just bought a Leapold VX-III yesterday.....All things being pretty close to equal, except for one.......Leapold.....Made in the USA......Assembled in the USA.....Customer service/support in the USA.....I can call the factory and speak to someone in english...I don't have to dial a country code to do it.....I'm not much on globalazation and want to keep my dollars close to home..That was enough for me, and I feel good about it!  American rifle, American scope, American ammo, hunting american game on american soil.....being here in Dixie just makes it all the better!  

I could have bought pretty much any scope I wanted, and some are a little better than others, but I had to look hard to tell much difference between them....I agree there is only so much someone can do to  a piece of glass.......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
scope for new abolt .270
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2004, 04:53:43 PM »
IMO I dont care where the money goes after I buy something...........as long as I am getting what I pay for and want, idc what happens to it.  I am not by all means a "bad/disloyal" american b/c I dont buy just american things.  I mean for real, think about it, what type of shoes do you where, where are your appliances made, what type of stereo do you have, etc..........if you buy U.S. in one thing does that mean you have to buy it in everything else.  That money's not staying in the U.S. so what the difference when buying a scope??  JMO, but idc as long as the product is quality.