Author Topic: .333 OKH  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Wolfe

• Trade Count: (0)
.333 OKH
« on: February 06, 2004, 04:57:26 PM »
Hey guys, I do not reload nor know hardly anything about wildcats. But I thought I'd share a rifle that i encountered in a gun shop this week.  I was in a small local gun shop when my great uncle came in to see about selling some of his rifles. One of which was a mauser actioned rifle with a beautiful custom stock (made by Richards and hand checkered by my great uncle) that was chambered in .333 OKH. Turns out the rifle was rechambered by PO Ackley himself. He had actually gotten into a minor argument with ackley as to whether or not the .333 okh was a worthwhile cartridge. Finally my uncle told him if he couldn't rechamber it for the .333 then to send him the barreled action back and he'd find someone who would. Ackley sent the action back and it was rechambered for .333 OKH. The gun is in exquisite condition and my uncle has all the dies needed for reloading and bullet forming. They plan to sell this gun as a package with the reloading equipment.
       Wish I was closer to this old timer because he has some unbelievably beautiful guns.
 Hope some of you found this interested as I did. Not a very common cartridge these days.

Offline ppro40

.333 OKH
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 09:23:43 PM »
I am not a terrible lot of help but the 333OKH was one of Elmer keiths favorites and he had a hand in it's design.   There is no doubt that not many are around today.......

I talked with Elmer about the cartridge and he like it.  There should be data around if you decide to load for it.

In fact, the data should be in P.O. Ackleys books. (the two that you can buy)  and some other sources.

YOu might ask Randy Brooks at Barnes if he still makes .333 bullets and you are good to go.

Paul

Offline Wolfe

.333 OKH
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 11:05:30 PM »
No i don't have the rifle. Just thought it an interesting story. The rifle will prolly end up on gunbroker along with all the dies here as soon as they figure out what in the world to sell it for.

Offline Drilling Man

.333 OKH
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 07:18:39 AM »
333 OKH is nothing more than a 30-06 case necked up to take .333 diameter bullets.  These days of course necking to .338 would be the choise to make, as there an excelent selection of .338 bullets made today.

Keith claimed all kinds of velicities with that cartridge and claimed tri-plex loads were the way to get them.

I experemented with that round for several years, and in the 70's when i bought my first chronograph i confirmed what i already knew.  You just can't get what Keith claimed out of that capicity of a case!!

Anyway, it is a pretty good big game round if used as it should be.  I took (13) big game animials with my .338-06 the first 3 years i hunted with it, includeing brown bear, moose, caribou, deer and ect....

Drilling Man