Author Topic: Newbie needs answers  (Read 588 times)

Offline Carpe Diem

• Trade Count: (0)
Newbie needs answers
« on: October 24, 2004, 11:22:00 AM »
I posted this in another section but I want as much feedback as possible .

My wife and I are going to get our CCW license. I want to carry only revolvers because that is what I learned on, plus I have very fast reflexes so cocking, aiming, and firing at a moving target is not a problem for me.

I am favoring a 357/38 snubbies and am not worried but here is the problem. My wife is very slow. She is not stupid,(SHE HAS A MASTERS IN PSYCHOLOGY) she is just slow. She is methodical and precise in everything she does which does not lend itself to putting a badguy down in a hurry so I need to over compensate for her slowness.

I think she would do well on a DAO pistol like a Glock 26 because of the soft long trigger pull, but I just don't trust Semi-autos because there is a failure rate that I am not comfortable with.

So here is the question that I need answered: How can I find a revolver with a soft long trigger pull or should I just take a month and teach her to pull the weapon, cock-it, aim-it, fire-it in a sort of add on method.

Tell me what to do guys

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Newbie needs answers
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 11:57:33 AM »
A good D.A. revolver in .357 mag with a short barrel will work fine. Have it tuned by a good gunsmith and change the springs if necessary. In a confrontation there may not be time to  do the cock, aim and  fire drill, there may be time to draw,  point, and squeeze the trigger.

If you're comfortable with a revolver, by all means stick with one.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline jhm

Newbie needs answers
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 03:08:46 PM »
I know this will get everyone fired up but here goes.  Yes there will be the time where you will need all the speed and accuracy your body can muster, however there is a lot to be said about also being sure of your target, and the actual intent on harming you or not, I would rather be 100% sure of what I was doing, than being fast on the trigger and making a mistake that cant be reversed, now with that said a good quality revolver in the caliber she can handle safely and accuratly will do fine. :D    JIM

Offline Old Griz

Newbie needs answers
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 10:43:23 AM »
:cb2: I'm a revolver man, but I do like automatics--as long as they're Glocks. However, make sure your wife can operate the automatic properly. That involves racking the slide. If she cannot do this, then you better stick with revolvers. If it ever jams, and you said she was slow, she could be in deep yogurt. Do what Bama Boy said. Get a good revolver (I like Smith K-frames), and have a real trigger job done. (I had a gunsmith cut off a couple of coils on the hammer spring of a Ruger SP101 and call that a trigger job. Charged me for a trigger job, too.) Make sure it has Hogue rubber grips on it, and you should be good to go.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Doc TH

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 05:19:12 PM »
The folks above are giving good advice.  Get a revolver.  Get it in .38 or .38/.357.  Have her practice firing double action - trigger pull in a good DA revolver (e.g., S&W) is as good or better than in most DA auto's.  Other benefits of DA revolver include cheap ammo thus lots of practice, capability of using loads of varying power (and recoil), and safety.

Offline Doc TH

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 05:25:53 PM »
The folks above are giving good advice.  Get a revolver.  Get it in .38 or .38/.357.  Have her practice firing double action - trigger pull in a good DA revolver (e.g., S&W) is as good or better than in most DA auto's.  Other benefits of DA revolver include cheap ammo thus lots of practice, capability of using loads of varying power (and recoil), and safety.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
Newbie needs answers
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 11:32:48 PM »
As I used to tell my newbie cops when they came to the range to qualify, "If you have time to cock the gun and aim carefully, you are not in a life or death situation."  

We taught, and still teach to fire the gun in double-action ONLY.  It's not difficult to master, it just takes practice.  Learning not to anticipate the shot is another matter that needs to be addressed, flinching is the result.  It might LOOK like you were aimed at the right spot, but you'll never fool the bullet.  

And once you acquire some skill with the weapon of choice, you have to maintain it, and a good practice regiment is mandatory.  Get some training if at all possible.  Remember, it is not what you did once that matters, it is what you can do on demand that counts!

BTW< I also vote for the DA revolver.

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Van/TX

• Avid Poster
Newbie needs answers
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 09:53:23 AM »
Agree with jhm.

Your thread is scarey to say the least.  Why are you  concerned about shooting at a moving target?  If the target is moving then it probably doesn't pose a deadly threat.   Just curious :-) .....Van

P.S.  I'd recommend that your wife ride shotgun :wink:
USAF Ret (1966 - 1988)

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
Newbie needs answers
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 12:14:55 AM »
Quote from: Van/TX
Agree with jhm.

Your thread is scarey to say the least.  Why are you  concerned about shooting at a moving target?  If the target is moving then it probably doesn't pose a deadly threat.  

:

Im afraid you are making a very dangerous assumption. I would submit that at least often enough, the target will be moving toward you and the threat is increasing. At least often enough that practicing on a moving target should be a very important part of your, or anybodys, training and practice.
JMHO[/u]
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
Newbie needs answers
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 03:42:38 PM »
I carry a ruger security six .357DA 2.5" barrel I never feel under gunned. at the 10yards or less that this pistol was made for the only real thing i'd feel safer with is my 12 ga coach gun. With #4 buck all ya gotta do is point it in the right direction and hold on, It dosn't conceal very well thou. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired