Author Topic: Virginia Tops Nation in New Pro-Gun Laws  (Read 523 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
Virginia Tops Nation in New Pro-Gun Laws
« on: August 17, 2004, 08:54:17 AM »
By Michael N. Graff
The Winchester Star

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though none were earth-moving adjustments, Virginia passed more pro-gun laws than any other state this spring — a statistic local lawmakers say verifies the commonwealth’s commitment to protecting the rights of its law-abiding gun owners.

Legislators approved 15 pro-gun laws, spurring shouts of praise from the National Rifle Association.

“This year was definitely a very good year for the Second Amendment in Virginia,” said NRA spokesperson Kelly Hobbs, noting the 15 new laws.

The movement away from tightening gun-control laws is a reflection of the state’s stance on firearms, according to the area legislators.

“I’m pretty cut and dry on this,” said Del. Beverly J. Sherwood, R-Frederick County. “That’s an example of preserving the rights of law-abiding citizens. We’re going to continue to do that. The members of the General Assembly will be putting bills in to make sure we’re not injuring those law-abiding citizens.”

Added Del. Clifford L. “Clay” Athey Jr., R-Front Royal: “We hold very important that people have a right to keep and bear arms. Virginia sort of leads to protecting that right.”

Among the laws, which Democratic Gov. Mark R. Warner signed, the General Assembly approved a bill that excludes valid concealed-carry owners — people who have been approved by a court to carry a concealed firearm — from the one-handgun-per-month limitation.

The law also allows gun collectors to purchase more than one gun per month through private sales to improve their collections.

“What we were trying to do with the one-handgun-per-month law was prevent people that were buying huge amounts of them and reselling them to people,” Athey said. “But these are people, they’ve been vetted through our court process and found to be law-abiding citizens.”

Athey sponsored one of the new laws dealing with reciprocity. It increases the number of states with which Virginia’s concealed-carry laws comply.

Now, concealed-carry owners in several other states — including West Virginia, Tennessee, and Florida — will have their permits recognized in Virginia and vice-versa.

The law also grants the Virginia State Police office in Richmond the right to issue temporary concealed-carry permits to people who have court-authorized permits in other states that have reached reciprocity with Virginia.

“If people travel in the Southeast, they should now be able to carry concealed weapons,” Athey said.

Added Del. Joe T. May, R-Leesburg: “If I’m checking your background in Pennsylvania, then I’m sure it’s the same record in Virginia.”

The reciprocity law does not cross over into Maryland, Athey said.
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline smoky

• Contributor
    • http://www.cattletoday.com/sscc
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 04:17:52 AM »
Very Good and Well Done.  Mark Virgina on my list of places I wouldn't mind calling home.

Smoky
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 04:54:48 AM »
Since they were one of the MOST antigun states around any improvement is nice BUT they are a LOOOOONG way from being pro gun.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Doc RD

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 07:26:59 AM »
HMMMmmmmmmm.... :?

Well, IF VA was as good to gun owners as say VT or AK then you'd be getting closer to the way the 2nd amendment should be recognized and upheld.

Here in AK we don't need a permit to carry, open or concealed.  There's no "one-gun-a-month" deals.  We don't need a court, sherriff, police cheif or state trooper saying whether or not we are eligable to get a permit.  We resiprocate CCW's of a bunch of other states.  I'm sure that there's more benefits that we have here that VA doesn't but this will suffice for now.  

VA is IMPROVING but they do have a ways to go.  Keep up the good work on the changes though, you might get there yet.

Keep your powder dry,
Doc Red Dawg :D
Doc Red Dawg

Life NRA & NAHC;  SASS.

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 09:04:27 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
Since they were one of the MOST antigun states around any improvement is nice BUT they are a LOOOOONG way from being pro gun.

Wrong,
 Virginia has always been on the cutting edge of freedom and it's rights. History for our country starts here in the Old Dominion, and it sets the pace for all the States and Commonwealths to follow; a true leader. :wink:

Presidental Birthplace Virginia:
George Washington, 1789-1797
Thomas Jefferson, 1801-1809
James Madison, 1809-1817
James Monroe, 1817-1825
Willian Henry Harrison, 1841
John Tyler, 1841-1845
Zachary Taylor, 1849-1850
Woodrow Wilson, 1913-1921

"Thus Ever to Tyrants"   :wink:

vANCe (from the Old Dominion)

PS: "Thus Ever to Tyrants" " is the motto on the Commonwealths Flag

You'll also need to excuse us for our current Governor. :roll:
no x now!

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 09:44:14 AM »
Virginia has always been on the cutting edge of freedom and it's rights.

Oh yeah???

Allowing you folks the "priviledge" of buying a single gun each month is one way the state shows this I presume? How about your concealed carry ability? Nope sorry. Virginia is right up there with the likes of CA, Mass., NJ and the others at restricting personal freedoms and especially the Second Amendment RIGHTS.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 02:31:56 PM »
Any gun restriction laws are bad, and they never achieve what the law makers intend. Virginia laws have always been influenced by the close proximity of our Nations Capital. I have never been hindered in any way when it comes to gun purchases,( I hope I'm not typing too fast for you to keep up) and I purchase plenty. As far as concealed carry, I choose not to, as I don't like the way I react to idiots. Besides I can run alot faster without lugging around my gun safe! :wink:
   vANCe

PS: The Virginia law only restricts handgun purchases to 1 per month. Not rifles.........yeah!
no x now!

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 04:17:19 PM »
Quote from: mag41vance
I hope I'm not typing too fast for you to keep up
:?  :?  :?
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 06:12:42 PM »
I've been known to go into a gun store and see 3-4 handguns I just can't live another day without. So here in Bama I just walk out with them that same day. Also been known to take both rifles and handguns out the same day.

I'm old and fat and can't run at all. Not much good at fighting anymore either. But I do shoot rather well. Been carrying since the day I turned 21 back in '66.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125