Author Topic: 38-55 question  (Read 717 times)

Offline CullenH

• Trade Count: (0)
38-55 question
« on: August 25, 2004, 10:19:35 AM »
:?:

Hi folks:

I am not new to this forum but have not been an active poster.  Now
I have a question that is just bugging me.  Can the 375 Winchester
be safely fired in the 38-55 Handi?   I am seriously considering this
caliber for informal target shooting and plinking.  However, if the
375 can be a practical alternative I would like to use it for whitetail
hunting.

If it is not a safe alternative what would be a good load for deer for
the 38-55.  I would like to have at least 150 yard capability, more if
possible.

Thanks for your help.
old goat

Offline Leftoverdj

38-55 question
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 10:50:13 AM »
Can, but you would be likely to have accuracy problems. The .375 uses a .375 diameter bullet. The .38-55 has a larger diameter, .378 I believe, but I will accept correction. Case dimensions are close enough and .375 Win is well within acceptable pressure limits for NEFs.

You could load your own using .375 Win data and a more suitable bullet to get what you want. I'd suggest a cast gas check bullet since jacketed bullets are pretty much a custom proposition
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline CullenH

38-55 question
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 11:36:16 AM »
:-)
Leftoverdj:

Thanks for the prompt answer.  I believe that what you are saying
is that I should not consider the 375 alternative but instead should
load the 38-55 to increased performance levels.  I guess the
question that I would have doing this is, does the38-55 case have
the strength to take the increased pressures?  If so, what would
be some recommended loads for it?

Again thanks for you reply.
old goat

Offline sureshot2040

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
38-55 question
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 12:12:46 PM »
i dont know abt the handi but i do know that the 375 would not chamber in my winchester legendary frontiersman 94. the case is just slightly longer if i remember correctly. we shot the 38-55 in the bigbore 94 with no problems. try the 220 grain hornady jsp over imr3031 or varget powder.
either of those will bust balloons out to 300 yards.

Offline Leftoverdj

38-55 question
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 01:13:11 PM »
You should be able to use .375 Win cases. The only real difference in dimensions is that the .38-55 case is supposed to be a hair longer. Posters on various boards report that current production .38-55 cases are shorter than nominal and very close to .375 Win length.

If I had to guess, the failure to chamber mentioned earlier was due to a throating issue since the .375 case is the shorter of the two.

I will put in a disclaimer that I have researched this because I was considering a .38-55. I neither own nor load for one. I have checked the case specs for both cartridges, followed the topic on various boards, and read the available reloading articles including Ken Water's articles in Pet Loads. These sources are unanimous that the loading dies are interchangeable and the case differ only in length and weight.

That said, the current NEF rifles are far stronger than is required for either cartridge. I would be perfectly willing to load .375 Win cases with .375 data and a .378 or .379 diameter bullet for use in an NEF. I would be willing to pull the .375 bullet from factory ammo and replace it with a .378 bullet. In a pinch, I would be willing to use factory .375 Win ammo, throat and bullet seating permiting, but I would expect accuracy to suffer somewhat. (Maybe not much. My .311 7.62x39 gives acceptable accuracy with .308 jacketed bullets. Cast bullets that much undersized would be hopeless.)

I would also be willing to use new name brand .38-55 cases with .375 Win loading data. There is no telling about the strength of older cases, but no one making both cases now is gonna make them different in anything but length and headstamp.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
38-55 question
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 06:38:31 PM »
cullenh
I have a Win Big Bore 375.  I just got it and haven't fired it yet.  I have done a ton of reading and have found many users that substitute 38-55 brass in the 375.

Several mentioned loading to 375 Win levels with the supposedly thinner 38-55 brass and have NO issues on the case.  I'd reccomend starting midway on 38-55 levels, using 38-55 brass and bullets and work up into 375 load levels all the time watching for problems.

Keep in mind the lead cast bullets will have their limits on velocity unless you use gas checked or jacketed.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline CullenH

38-55 question
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 01:26:58 PM »
:D
Thanks guys.  As I expected I received very sensible answers to my
questions.  This seems to be the norm for this forum and will help
me make an intellegent decision on my purchase.  Again, thanks.
old goat