Author Topic: Looks like the new "Marlin talk" has taken up the  (Read 1140 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Looks like the new "Marlin talk" has taken up the
« on: August 24, 2004, 01:42:03 AM »
Yup; looks like the new "Marlin Talk" has taken up the flag of "political correctness"....

Debating politics or discussing comparative religions is just too childish...

Perhaps Larry will launch a new "ask Anna" forum to replace the now locked "Shooter's lounge"...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Looks like the new "Marlin talk" has taken up
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 01:48:23 AM »
Quote from: ironglow
  Perhaps Larry will launch a new "ask Anna" forum to replace the now locked "Shooter's lounge"...
:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :shock:
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Dali Llama

Re: Looks like the new "Marlin talk" has taken up
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 01:51:36 AM »
Quote from: ironglow
Yup; looks like the new "Marlin Talk" has taken up the flag of "political correctness"....

Debating politics or discussing comparative religions is just too childish...

Dali Llama say he see no harm whatsoever in healthy debate wherein honorable persons express differing opinions on those subjects. :-)

Offline Big Hext Finnigan

• Contributor
    • http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php
Looks like the new "Marlin talk"
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 02:42:40 AM »
Gentlemen,

Let's not bring the brawl from there over here.  If further discussion is needed, especially with personal comments, then take it back to the MO board.

Many thanks,
But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.  - Edmund Burke

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 03:07:13 AM »
Quote from: Big Hext Finnigan
Gentlemen,

Let's not bring the brawl from there over here.  If further discussion is needed, especially with personal comments, then take it back to the MO board.

Many thanks,
Dali Llama say he appreciate admonition, as some would like to bring baggage here from elsewhere.

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 03:24:37 AM »
All was well :( Not a bit on contention to be found :( We had gone way beyond the call of a polite forum :( The ability of Men to speak freely has been dealt another swift blow :(
That Sound You Hear In The Woods While Hunting  Is Deer Laughing

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 04:30:10 AM »
Quote from: tubbythetuba
All was well :( Not a bit on contention to be found :( We had gone way beyond the call of a polite forum :( The ability of Men to speak freely has been dealt another swift blow :(

That is what I am thinking too.  :eek:   :(
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 04:30:25 AM »
Dali Llama say he see no harm whatsoever in healthy debate wherein honorable persons express differing opinions on those subjects.

GB say Dali be 100% correct. So long as opinions are expressed in a gentlemanly fashion those are acceptable topics of discussion. But when discussion on them or any topic reverts to the gutter and folks start calling each other names and making personal attacks, as opposed to disuccing the issues, things go too far.

So yeah they are acceptable topics here as long as site rules are followed in the discussion. Kinda back to the comments by Hext, it is a tad amazing to me that some seem to be able to discuss only topics regarding how bad it is elsewhere here. I have one forum that is now nearly dead except when another site goes down (which it seems to do often). Then a number of them come here to moan about it being down. They never seem to be able to open new discussion topcis just bemoan the fact that other is down. Bet Hext can guess which I'm talking about.  :eek:

The ability of Men to speak freely has been dealt another swift blow

I wish to make no comments regarding decisions made on other sites but just in general wish to address the above quote.

Sites like this and Larry's are owned by individuals. Those individuals have the same right to decide the rules of decorum on them as you do in your own home. Even in America there are "some" limits to free speech and certainly the rights of one person end at the nose of another. You're not free to punch a person in the nose. That's not a right you have even here.

We as owners of sites have the right to limit what happens on them. I do it and so does most all I know of. Where there are totally no limits in place it results in the lowest worse of mankind that rises to the top there. Cussing and personal attacks and name calling just have no place in civilized society. If you want to do those gather in small groups where you aren't exposed to those who don't wish to be exposed and go at it. That's not here for sure.

Debate, argue, disagree all you wish. Discuss most any topic short of things illegal or having to do with sex acts and you'll likely be OK here. But revert to name calling, personal attacks or cussing and you'll find it gets ended real quick. There must be some decorum.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 05:19:20 AM »
I have to laugh as Bill Nailed it on the head.  Every one came here when this site first started up after Marlin Talk shut down. Then they found out moderators were used here  Myself and Finnigan and would not put up with any nonsense and every one went elsewhere and as Bill said this place was dead. Now the other place shut down and its like a bunch of inlaws coming to stay with you because their house got blown away in the tornado.  :)  :)  :)  By no means am I infering I do not want any one here by all means stay and post. Maybe this place will liven up again.  It just strikes me as funny as your second choice has now become your first because of necessity.  I am not talking about every one as some of you regularly posted here. For those that came back good like I said maybe it will liven up here! Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 05:43:27 AM »
Quote from: jh45gun
I have to laugh as Bill Nailed it on the head.  Every one came here when this site first started up after Marlin Talk shut down. Then they found out moderators were used here  Myself and Finnigan and would not put up with any nonsense and every one went elsewhere and as Bill said this place was dead. Now the other place shut down and its like a bunch of inlaws coming to stay with you because their house got blown away in the tornado.  :)  :)  :)  By no means am I infering I do not want any one here by all means stay and post. Maybe this place will liven up again.  It just strikes me as funny as your second choice has now become your first because of necessity.  I am not talking about every one as some of you regularly posted here. For those that came back good like I said maybe it will liven up here! Jim

:roll:
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 07:21:26 AM »
Just left the marlin site, larry said the shooters lounge is now a thing of the past. He also stated that ifin things dint shape up he would drop the site, completely and if anybody wanted to take over the site they could.

Gun Runner

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 07:43:54 AM »
Now the other place shut down and its like a bunch of inlaws coming to stay with you because their house got blown away in the tornado.  
Dali Llama say he just hope that aforesaid "inlaws" do not bring their bad habits with them!! :D  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 07:54:24 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
Dali Llama say he see no harm whatsoever in healthy debate wherein honorable persons express differing opinions on those subjects.

GB say Dali be 100% correct. So long as opinions are expressed in a gentlemanly fashion those are acceptable topics of discussion. But when discussion on them or any topic reverts to the gutter and folks start calling each other names and making personal attacks, as opposed to disuccing the issues, things go too far.

Dali Llama say he be extremely glad to read the above. :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 09:12:18 AM »
Quote from: Dali Llama
Now the other place shut down and its like a bunch of inlaws coming to stay with you because their house got blown away in the tornado.  
Dali Llama say he just hope that aforesaid "inlaws" do not bring their bad habits with them!! :D  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Yeah, like endless strings of quotes and BTTs.....

They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 09:18:11 AM »

I suggest you remember the promises you made to me. This looks to me like perhaps you've forgotten. If so, don't forget what I promised if you don't do as you said. I don't forget so easily. And believe me when I say, I WILL DO WHAT I SAID I WOULD!

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2004, 02:20:17 PM »

I suggest you remember the promises you made to me. This looks to me like perhaps you've forgotten. If so, don't forget what I promised if you don't do as you said. I don't forget so easily. And believe me when I say, I WILL DO WHAT I SAID I WOULD!

OHHHH....

No reality based HUMOR allowed...

Curious.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2004, 04:11:58 PM »
Quote from: FWiedner
Quote from: Dali Llama

Dali Llama say he find it interesting, to say the least, that some persons have such extremely strong disdain for having their own posts quoted.  Dali say logical inference is that such persons have said things that they wished they had not... :-)  Dali say it often be same persons who refuse to answer reasonable, logical questions about their posts, and thus other forum members resort to "BTT's" in search of clarification. :-)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2004, 06:18:29 PM »
Don't stir the pot Dali. Let me handle this one.

No reality based HUMOR allowed...

Personal attacks are what's not allowed. No matter what name the poster might wish he could get by with calling them.

Both of you behave yourselves and end the jabs at the other. I have a suggestion for both of you. Each of you should add the other to your IGNORE list. That way neither of you will ever again see the posts of the other and therefor won't be tempted to take a jab at the other. If either does it initially I'll deal with it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline skpp108

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2004, 12:26:04 PM »
I for one thought half the fun of sites like this are the open forums where you can bring up just about anything you want. Shooters forum was the first thing I went to "over there". The personality conflicts were entertaining as well. Free thinkers vs. those suck butts falling in lock-step with the rule, real or perecieved, hoping to score brownie points with the moderater(s). Fun.  Don't get me wrong, I like my Marlins just like you do, but lets face it, that site is not going to be very interesting anymore and probably won't survive. I have nothing against the administration over there, but jeez, it was getting a little whiney for me. Now "Larry" has taken his ball and it looks like he's going home. Waaaaa.... Ok, don't let the door hit you in the ass. There are plenty of forums and websites out there for technical information. The world isn't going to stop if one of them goes bye-bye. Hope I'm not breaking any rules with my opinion here but things are getting a little too PC everywhere. Oh well..... Might have to start looking for a Winchester forum somewhere. :eek:
Use it up while its still good-

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2004, 06:35:45 PM »
Nope don't reckon you're breaking any rules stating your opinion. PC is one thing I don't think I've ever been accused of.

BUT the rules here are that it will be kept clean enough for ALL members of a Christian family to participate. If you have something to say that don't fit that general guide line then say it somewhere else besides here.

I some times think the world has gone down hill so far that not many truly understand what being PC means. As a general for instance it would be pretty much impossible for anyone who calls themselves a Republican to truly be PC.

There are NO truly OPEN forums on this site. None where you can say or do anything you wish. Never will be as long as I'm alive and running it. But open to discussion on MOST any topic? Yup you bet. Religion and politics are certainly not banned here. Name calling, personal attacks, cussing, references to sexual acts and nudity in images are all banned here.

I know of no place left on earth where there are no rules you must abide by and that includes your own home. Same applies here. I pay the bills here and I make the rules and don't keep them a big secret of what they are. I also don't change them. They are today what they were the day the site opened. And the same they will be the day it ends whenever that might be.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2004, 01:50:25 AM »
Religion and politics are certainly not banned here. Name calling, personal attacks, cussing, references to sexual acts and nudity in images are all banned here.
Dali Llama say that he understand and concur with all of the above.  Dali say, however, that it also appear that one not be allowed to question or challenge opinions or statements of others, or seek clarification regarding comments made by others.  :?  :?  :?  Dali say that such prohibitions make good communication difficult in electronic media such as this, where one cannot observe facial expressions, body language, etc., and thus sometimes have need to to obtain clarification regarding what another person type on computer screen.

Offline Big Hext Finnigan

• Contributor
    • http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2004, 03:12:55 AM »
Dali,

I've explained that several times to you.  Use PM or email.
If they did that poor a job of explaining it the first time, the second will likely be no better.  And given the history between certain members, the less contact the better.

Pretty simple, isn't it?
But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.  - Edmund Burke

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2004, 04:34:57 AM »
Dali Llama say that he understand and concur with all of the above. Dali say, however, that it also appear that one not be allowed to question or challenge opinions or statements of others, or seek clarification regarding comments made by others.

GB say he feel Dali misinterpret what was said or intended. In the instance where I asked you to leave it to me I feel your comment was more intended to incite than to seek clarification. When the person to whom you are addressing such a comment is one with whom you have such a long and checkered history you have to KNOW what the effect is going to be. Doing same to a post of mine or one with whom you do not have such a history is an altogether different matter.

Dali, you're an intelligent individual. You aren't unaware of the consequences such posts are likely to bring. So if you make it directed to a person whom you know will be incited by it for the purpose of such reaction you are then "baiting" for trouble. I have no doubt in my mind you know which posts are likely to elicit which response. All I ask is that you do not do them in such times and places as you are quite certain it will merely create more problems. Is that asking too much?

By the way, challenging a person is pretty much ALWAYS gonna result in the kind of results we'd rather not have. Questioning or asking for clarification when in fact you really do not fully understand or need further information shouldn't under normal circumstances.

It is not my intention on this or any other forum to inhibit free flow of information and discourse on subjects not within the group I've so often mentioned as not appropriate. It is my intention to channel the discussions to minimize heated blow ups which lead to rules violations on the part of one or more parties. All I ask and expect is that everyone try to keep those guidelines in mind.

Should you suspect your questioning will illicit a blow up do it off line as suggested by Hext. Or not at all.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2004, 04:52:45 AM »
I believe that G.W. Bush said it best, in his most strongly worded defense of the First Amendment to date:

"Only the pre-approved messages of authorized organizations should be made available for public consideration in this contest."

I mean, golly...It's the law.

And don't you troublemakers be hangin' around in small groups whisperin' to each other, neither... :wink:

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2004, 08:07:04 AM »

By the way, challenging a person is pretty much ALWAYS gonna result in the kind of results we'd rather not have.
Dali Llama ask do that not be what now transpiring in this thread: http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=40177 ? :?  :?  :?

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2004, 09:06:26 AM »
Dali, Sir: Being neck deep in the thread you mentioned, I can say that nosir, that is not what is happening :-)
That Sound You Hear In The Woods While Hunting  Is Deer Laughing

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2004, 10:15:13 AM »
Dali Llama ask do that not be what now transpiring in this thread: http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=40177 ?

Well Dali, I just scan thru the entire long thread. Didn't read every word but enough to get the gist of each post. No I guess I just don't see what's happening there as the same as what we're discussing here.

To wit: I see folks quoting others as you frequently do but see no instances in which it appears the purpose is to create a negative response or to set anyone off. Just questioning and getting clarification and it appears in all instances that's the way it has been taken, just as intended.

I accept that at times everyone will misinterpret something said by another. Either in print as here or in person when you can see facial expressions and mannerisms. But I also know that if it happens to you (not you Dali but you anyone that it happens to) then most likely the "you" it happens to is seeking just that response.

I feel that at times you (Dali) do it for both reasons. And I think you are intelligent enough to have a real good idea which response it is going to generate.

I've taken way more time than I should have to on this and a couple more threads now ongoing with a similar vein.

Most (perhaps not all) of the posters on these threads and indeed on the whole site are mature and reasonably intelligent individuals. I have no doubt that with darn few exceptions all of you UNDERSTAND the policies I'm trying to inculcate here. Most make an honest attempt to follow the few simple rules. Some lose their temper at times and fail to do so. For them a gentle reminder is usually all that is needed to get things back on track. Some are here more to create problems than to be of value to the site and the individual forums. Most of those will soon enough be gone. My patience with them is rather limited. Still others really do enjoy the back and forth here but have a tendency to try to deftly provoke others to rules violations while themselves walking a rather thin line they hope avoids rules violations. Each of you I'm sure knows which category you belong in. Do not assume I'm not aware of that same information. Those in one category will always be welcome. Those in one will soon be gone. Those in that other play a dangerous game if they really like being here. I tolerate it for only so long.

My rules are simple and few and don't change with the tides. Follow them if you like being here. Violate them if you want to see if I really mean what I say. However if that is in doubt you can sure find plenty of folks at AR who can attest to the fact I do.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline IntrepidWizard

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2004, 10:26:27 AM »
Concise-to the point--easily understood and enforced,I like it.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington