Author Topic: DD  (Read 691 times)

Offline magyars4

• Trade Count: (5)
DD
« on: August 28, 2004, 10:53:07 AM »
Douglas,
Thanks
Yes Sir, I am in Manassas, I would welcome the opportunity to hook up and let you look at it.
I have begun removing the rust...which isnt to bad,but my drill extension is only 12 inches long, so I have not been able to get all the way down the bore.
I have oiled her down, and wire wheeled the exterior. if you want to PM me, and let me know your schedule, I will be in touch.
Thanks again!

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
DD
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 12:42:46 PM »
I've been looking for some type bit extension to get into about a 40 inch deep tube and the 12" extensions are the only ones I can find too!  Does anyone have any good ideas as to how to get a two inch wire wheel and/or an emory cloth holder into the depths of my bbl?  I don't want to buy four of the 12" extensions as it'd be too costly and I'm afraid there'd be a lot of wobble.  Ideas???
Many thanks, Blaster
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
DD
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 02:52:48 PM »
Go to Home Depot or Lowes or one of those hardware stores that have those little racks 3 and 4 ft pieces of steel, aluminum or brass. Welding stores sometime have the   Get a 1/4 or 3/8  in.brass rod Cut a slit in the end of the rod.  Slide a length of 1 inch wide 240 or finer shop sanding belt in the slit. Wrap the belt around the rod put the rod in your drill motor.  As you are running the drill move the rod round and round, and in an out.  Don't stop in one place, keep moving.

Only do this smooth out the rough spots.

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
DD
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 03:12:53 PM »
You might also drop by your local auto parts store and look at "cylinder hones".... they come in various diameters and you might find one to suit.  Your local Lowes or Home Depot will have steel or aluminum in a suitable diameter to epoxy onto the shaft of the cylinder hone.  Then just chuck it up in your drill and you will be all set.  Just remember to keep moving it to and fro.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
DD
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 05:23:46 AM »
Many thanks Double D and Evil Dog.  Good suggestions.  I have a neighbor who is a welder and I'll just have to ask him for a little help.
The President of South Bend Replicas has personally inspected the barrel (2.15" bore)  and indicated that he felt it'd be perfectly safe to fire.  He also thought it had been made from an old "tank tube".  I wasn't thinking at the time or I'd have asked what that meant.  I can only assume it  meant an old cannon tube.  When I call to order my "MORE Complete Cannoneer" from him tomorrow, I'll have to inquire.  Finally, are any of you folks on this web site planning on attending the HUGE 3,800 table Wannamacher Tulsa Gun Show in October???  Everyone should make it at least once in their lifetime before gunshows are nonexistent.  Thanks again guys.  Blaster
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)